D&D 5E Best spells for a Heavy Warrior/Sorcerer character?

Carlos Barreto

First Post
Greetings.

I'm currently playing a level 9 character (Fighter 1/Paladin 2/Sorcerer (Favored Soul) 6). I started playing this character from level 1 as a Fighter, picked the next 6 levels as a Sorcerer (in order to have Extra Attack ASAP, at level 7) and finally I picked 2 levels as Paladin (Divine Smite was the goal, although a second Fighting Style is nice). So I can tell you for sure that while it has it's flaws (delayed ASIs/Feat and spell progression), it's a fully functional build right out of level 1, not a non-sense, theorycraft build. The flaws are reasonably compensated with it's features and a little bit of patience. The secret lies not only at the right timing of the multiclass, but also choosing the right spell.

Character Concept: My goal is to be a heavy hitter at melee combat and a blaster cannon with combat-oriented spells and some few out-of-combat utility spells. It's like a mix between Eldritch Knight Fighter and Bladesinger Wizard: Unlike Eldritch Knight, it's a full caster with 9th level spells. Unlike Bladesinger, it can use heavy weapons (because Great Weapon Master feat plays an important role in this build) and heavy armor. And unlike both, it can make two attacks and cast a full spell at the same turn, thanks to Quickened Spell metamagic. The only drawback is that the Sorcerer spell list is shorter than the Wizard spell list, but nothing is perfect.

At ranged combat, I go spartan style, throwing Javelins as any good heavy warriors, but only if the enemy is within 30 feet of distance. Otherwise, I use Firebolt.

Concentration Spells: My DM allowed me to use the Spell Point system instead of the standard Spell Slot system for my Sorcerer (as I think it should be from default), so running out of spell slots for a specific spell level is not an issue. I really love Haste, but my main combat concentration spell of choice is Blur. Plate armor + Blur + Shield really bolster my defense, compensating the low Sorcerer's hit die (although I have been using False Life to raise my effective HP to the Fighter level, but I'm rarely injured by physical attacks, even if I fight side-by-side with the Fighter and the Barbarian).

At Sorcerer 7, I'll exchange Blur to Greater Invisibility. Our DM uses the optional flunking rules, which undermines the Greater Invisibility to some degree, but Greater Invisibility makes you immune to Opportunity Attacks, so while invisibile, I can come close, make all my attacks and move away from melee combat, reducing the odds of being attacked. All that with advantage and no need to worry about to be in the right spot.

Optional rules in use: Spell Points (for Sorcerers), Flanking, Epic Heroism (faster short/long rests).

So these are my spells of choice:

Cantrips: 1) Firebolt; 2) Green-Flame Blade; 3) Mage Hand; 4) Prestidigitation; 5) Minor Illusion; 6) ?
1 - Shield; Sleep
2 - Burning Hands
3 - Blur; Burning Hands -> Shatter
4 - False Life; Sleep - > Disguise Self
5 - Lightning Bolt; Shatter -> Fireball
6 - Counterspell *** This is my current Sorcerer level ***

So my sketch for possible future spells would be...

7 - Misty Step; Blur -> Greater Invisibility
8 - Banishment (Is that worthy? I'm not so sure)
9 - Cone of Cold
10 - ?
11 - Disintegrate; Banishment -> Chain Lightning
13 - Circle of Death (Not so sure)
14 - ?
15 - ?
17 - Wish; Circle of Death ->Meteor Swarm (Obs.: I want to have 2 level 9 spells here, so I'll trade one of my previous spells for a second level 9 spell).

As you can see, there are some gaps (including one cantrip) and some dubious spells. I would like to see some suggestions to make this character better at what he does: To slay his enemies with his trusty Greatsword and to blast hordes with his eltritch might.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
What are you willing to give up?
A level of Warlock for Hex makes Scorching Ray your straight-up best choice against any non-resistant/immune spells you will ever have access to apart from 9th level spells (dealing 3d6 per ray, at... 3 rays plus an additional ray per additional level iirc).
Failing that (should you want 9th level spells, for instance) it can still be a great move by using Greater Invisibility and focuses on high accuracy and number of attack rolls. It basically locks you into Nova-Striking though.

zaratan

First Post
What are you willing to give up?
A level of Warlock for Hex makes Scorching Ray your straight-up best choice against any non-resistant/immune spells you will ever have access to apart from 9th level spells (dealing 3d6 per ray, at... 3 rays plus an additional ray per additional level iirc).
Failing that (should you want 9th level spells, for instance) it can still be a great move by using Greater Invisibility and focuses on high accuracy and number of attack rolls. It basically locks you into Nova-Striking though.

in fact, if you go deep 1 lvl of warlock, better go for 2. Quick eldritch blast with hex is a better choice than scorching ray. At lvl 17, quick EB will give 8d10 +8d6 +40 (112 avarage) and push the target 80 feet alway for the cost of 1 lvl 1 spell slot and 2 SP, a lvl 9 scorching ray will give 30d6 (avarage 105) for the cost of 1 lvl 1 spell slot + 1 lvl 9. Plus immunity/resistance to force is way rarer than fire.

But he really want a melee fighter hah.
Cantrip, booming blade it's a obvious choice, you can twin it unlike GFB. twin it and cast feat to trigger and get OA for free.
if get 1 lvl in warlock (great old one) you can pick armor of agathys + dissonant whisppers (twinable too), great with warcaster feat (2 attacks, quick dissonant whisppers and a auto triggered booming blade with your OA), but it's forget the 9th lvl spellslot in that building.

as lvl 6 favored soul you can get 7 spells, right?
shield, blur, suggestion, fireball, fear, counterspell (you still get one more)

which cleric domain you picked as favored soul? This is an important buff in your spell list .

Nathan Mitchell

First Post
Just a tad late to the party, I have played multiple gish characters so my 2cp might hopefully still be valuable here.

By far the most effective gish I played that reached 9th level spells was Fighter 1/Warlock 2/Sorcerer 17. Hexblade patron and Stone Sorcery allowed me to invest purely into Con and Cha. Eldritch Blast was my ranged option, Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade were my melee options. I wasn't all about melee at first, functioning as more of a switch hitter until Metamagic came online. Still an extremely powerful build and very capable at both.

Remove ads