D&D 5E CHALLENGE: Change one thing about 5e

Tony Vargas

Legend
Now, when I was growing up, my mom always told me, "Lowkey13, if you can't be a part of the solution, become a part of the problem."
wait, isn't that supposed to be "If you're not part of the problem, you are the solution?" ... no, that wasn't it, either, makes too much sense...

I was thinking to myself, "Self, ..."
I don't know why I still find that funny after all these years. ;)

You have just been invited to WoTC's World Headquarters, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., to discuss 5e with the D&D braintrust. After walking down miles of corridors for their other products (no, even more miles), filled with palatial desks, executives burning $100 bills, and Brian Goldner running around screaming and re-creating his favorite scenes from Scarface, you are led to a small janitor's closet in the basement. There, huddled for warmth around a small fire burning in an oil drum, are Mike Mearls and a team of underfed kobolds.
Oh, wow, you /have/ been there?

What is the one issue that you think most needs to be fixed, changed, or altered in 5e, and how would you fix it?
I'm afraid it involves a time machine. The single thing most wrong with 5e is its release date. It needs to have been released much earlier. Maybe instead 3e (so all d20 games could have been using Adv/Dis all this time - admit it, that sounds great, doesn't it? ), maybe even instead of 2e, though it'd've been darn near cutting-edge in 1989.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, not sure a time machine is a positive contribution. Because if you had that, wouldn't you go back to 1989 and tell me not to use, "Self, ..."
Heck no, I'd be sure to tell you that joke so you could be sure to use it later! (Might also mention some stock tips...)

Besides, "there's your problem, Mike, you just need a Warlord..." wouldn't have gone over so well...

Edit: I said that out loud, didn't I? Oops.

Problem: There's too much healing. It trivializes the significance of combat, since anything other than death can be recovered from almost immediately. It trivializes healing magic, since a Cure spell or healing potion is less powerful than a nap. It creates an unbelievable world, where the outcome of getting struck by a weapon isn't that you're physically wounded, and it's hard to take that world seriously.

Solution: Set the default healing rate to 5% of your maximum HP per day (minimum 1 per day). Get rid of Hit Dice, or require them to be used in conjunction with healing magic (like Healing Surges).

bmfrosty

Explorer
I would nerf certain things. Here are some examples:

1) -5/+10 would become -5/+5 (or -5/+1d10) for both Sharpshooter and Great Weapons Master. There is currently too much upside to this.
2) I would deal with Crossbow Expert (and specifically it's interaction with Sharpshooter) by either
A) Make it clear that the hand crossbow can't be the same hand crossbow you're using as your primary weapon (you need a free hand to load!)
B) Outright outlaw the combination of the two
3) Nerf the moon druid. Absolute damage sponge with very little risk. Find a way to add risk to this.
4) Add an optional rule or rules of some sort to supress multiclassing abuse. Examples:
A) Limit multiclassing to 1st tier (You can't add levels to any class that you don't have at level 4)
B) Limit multiclassing to two classes

That's my list examples that I'd try to use to nerf overpowerful rules interactions (and the moon druid).

dave2008

Legend
Hit Points: I would prefer there be two pools of hit points. One pool that is essentially what we have now and it covers exhaustion, luck, skill, etc. and a 2nd pool (which I refer to as bloodied hit points) to covers actual damage to the body. Hit Points increase with level and can be "healed" quickly. Bloodied hit points are based on your size and heal very slowly (w/ optional rules of lingering injuries)

Remove ads