Creating a Ranger Tank

af4evr13

First Post
Hello, I am new to 5th Edition and looking for advice on how to create a Ranger, dual wield, tank type. I am willing to multi-class if needed. My character is a Half-Elf build (Drow on the elf side). I appreciate any advice.

mellored

Legend
Ranger's arn't great tanks. They have good damage with a side of spells that can support, control, or AoE spells, but not much in the way of tanky spells or features.

But to be as tanky as they can be, focus on Dex and Con to be tanky. Resilient and Defensive Dualist are good feats but wait till level 8 or 12 when the bonus is bigger. Avoid the Dual Wielder feat until you have 20 Dex, which also gives +1 AC and +1 damage, along with +1 skills, dex saves, and initiative. Beastmaster can add an extra body to absorb a few hits but I wouldn't take it if you plan on going into higher levels, it just doesn't keep up. A level of wizard or sorcerer for the shield spell can let you use your spell slots for defense.

Alternatively, take a level of life cleric for heavy armor and use Str to attack with. Heavy armor expertise is very good at low levels. The life bonus will make goodberry a great recovery spell. Though tromping around in noisy plate may not fit your idea of a ranger.

You can also be a fighter and just call yourself a ranger. Nothing stops them from getting stealth and survival skills. Fighters are more tanky and can use their extra feats to buff up tankiness more, getting that +2 dex or +2 Con earlier.

Barbarians is another tanky option, and still just call yourself a ranger. They can dual wield and are even tankier than fighters. Str or Dex based both work. Dex being super more tanky, but loses most of it's damage.

Paladin is the other tanky class. You could make one in light armor and Dex, but probably not what your looking for.

Vulf

First Post
Way of the Long Death Monk can absorb a lot of damage.

A few levels of Barbarian can get you a lot of tankiness.
Barbarian/Ranger would be pretty intense.

Remove ads