DC Crossover Event - Flash, Arrow, LoT, Supergirl looks awesome

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Are they now bringing the annoying comic book crossovers formate to under performing titles to TV as well?

Does this mean one or more of those TV shows are under performing to the point they needed this "crossover" to up viewership?

kinda but not really, since the success of the first Arrow-Flash crossover (not to mention the MCU) the gimmick has become a 'whole network' thing now and thus it's written in as a standard part of the shows each season regardless of individual rating performances. On one side the CW team-ups have been far more successful than the current run of the cinema DCEU but as Ryujin intimates the overkill can be really annoying.

Ryujin

Legend
kinda but not really, since the success of the first Arrow-Flash crossover (not to mention the MCU) the gimmick has become a 'whole network' thing now and thus it's written in as a standard part of the shows each season regardless of individual rating performances. On one side the CW team-ups have been far more successful than the current run of the cinema DCEU but as Ryujin intimates the overkill can be really annoying.

I think I would be happier if they canned the overload of shows and just ran a single DC branded series. Then, rather than doing these cross-over things, they could just do the occasional few shows each season in which multiple characters appear. If some characters become less popular, show their adventures less. Maybe run two shows a week, during the season run, rather than once a week.

Live action "Superfriends."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think I would be happier if they canned the overload of shows and just ran a single DC branded series. Then, rather than doing these cross-over things, they could just do the occasional few shows each season in which multiple characters appear. If some characters become less popular, show their adventures less. Maybe run two shows a week, during the season run, rather than once a week.

Live action "Superfriends."

You'd be happier if they canned them? Can't you just watch fewer shows rather than wishing they'd can them? Some of us are enjoying having 4 superhero shows a week and are enjoying it while it lasts!

Ryujin

Legend
You'd be happier if they canned them? Can't you just watch fewer shows rather than wishing they'd can them? Some of us are enjoying having 4 superhero shows a week and are enjoying it while it lasts!

As I said, I would. Sure, I can just watch fewer shows, but then they have these "cross-over events" and, as I said, I'm watching shows that I don't want to in order to keep up with shows that I do want to watch.

I've hit "peak superhero." "While it lasts" seems the operative phrase, to me, and I'm thinking this has to crash eventually. Why not make it last longer by not overloading viewers in the short term?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As I said, I would. Sure, I can just watch fewer shows, but then they have these "cross-over events" and, as I said, I'm watching shows that I don't want to in order to keep up with shows that I do want to watch.

I've hit "peak superhero." "While it lasts" seems the operative phrase, to me, and I'm thinking this has to crash eventually. Why not make it last longer by not overloading viewers in the short term?

I can't get on board with the idea of taking something away from millions of people just because I don't personally want to watch it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Which is why I specified that this was just my opinion and wasn't trying to speak for anyone else ;)

Don't worry, I wasn't mistakenly under the impression you had the actual power to do that. That's a scary thought - people able to purge things from the world that they personally don't enjoy! :)

Sadly, we'd lose, because my mother would immediately purge all superhero shows, comics, and references from the world. We'd be left with just dreary soap operas and period dramas.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Don't worry, I wasn't mistakenly under the impression you had the actual power to do that. That's a scary thought - people able to purge things from the world that they personally don't enjoy! :)

Sadly, we'd lose, because my mother would immediately purge all superhero shows, comics, and references from the world. We'd be left with just dreary soap operas and period dramas.

I'd say there's a fair bit of difference between musing about something 'aloud' and the assumption that someone wishes to impose their will upon others, not the least of which is the word "assumption."

tomBitonti

Adventurer

I think the take-away from this is the consideration that this might be a common perspective, not just that of one enworld member. Too many viewers being overloaded undercuts the show.

Thx!
TomB

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think the take-away from this is the consideration that this might be a common perspective, not just that of one enworld member. Too many viewers being overloaded undercuts the show.

One person, countered by one person who enjoys the opposite, which is also a common perspective. Takeaway net zero. Worst survey ever! :)

Remove ads