D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal responded "we probably should" while nodding towards the caves and smiled beatifically. He turned to his companions with the same smile - but his eyes were hard. The Jann had said much, but left far too much unsaid. "Let us be honorable truth seeker - and if we are to be wise too, seekers of the entire truth".

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah.jpg

Akilah

"If Lal believes it safe I have no reason to think otherwise, however I am curious..." switching to Jannti she asks, "Do you know what happened to the caravaner who lies half buried in the cave?"

[sblock=OOC] Is it safe to assume the cloth piece we posses does not come from the jinn?
[sblock=Spells]
0 Level: Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Spare the Dying, Mending, Sacred Flame
1st Level: Cure Wounds, Bless
2nd Level: Hold Person, Silence, Zone of Truth
3rd Level: Mass Healing Word, Revivify, Remove Curse
4th Level: Banishment, Locate Creature, Divination
5th Level: Greater Restoration, Scrying, Mass Cure Wounds
6th Level: Word of Recall, Heal[/sblock][/sblock]

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Narrowing his eyes, Usqual expresses his surprise at hearing the caravaner's fate, and replies in Jannti, "Half buried? If he lies half-buried, then I suspect he is dead." There is an almost childlike logic to his answer, as if there might be other reasons a man would be left half buried in the crags. He pauses mid-stride as if weighing the gravity of the news before switching back to Common. "He must have fallen during the fighting. I left behind the field of battle to the south, and yet here in this oasis it seems that specter of battle has followed me. We have no Fate but the Fate we are given. Allow me to lead you to the cave? I am certain Hadia can answer your questions." Again, Usqual gestures toward the escarpment with what almost seems a saccharine countenance.[/SECTION]

GM: The scrap of russet linen does not match anything the jann is wearing.

Matthan

Explorer
"Forgive my ignorance, honored guest," Husam says with a bow, "but I would not wish to insult the caravanserai that you serve by coming to her empty handed. If she and the children have not eaten in some time, then they need food. The Lawgiver exhorts us to hospitality and Fate has given us this opportunity to practice it well. Would you help us know what type of food they require and how much?"

He pauses for a second before continuing, "I would not wish to insult you either, noble Jann. You are our guest as well and we are honored by your company. You have not mentioned food for yourself. However, you mentioned that your waters were stolen from you. I must confess my ignorance of your culture and what your waters are, but I am deeply disturbed by thieves and would like to help you recover your property if I am able and you would allow."

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Eyes scanning the evening horizon of the crags surreptitiously, Usqual inclines his head toward Husam with what almost seems like impatience. "What is there to forgive if one is indeed ignorant?" He replies in a mirthful yet strained tone. "Their animals were taken or scattered when the oasis was raided. What supplies they took to the caves were simple sacks of grain and gathered date fruits. They need meat, butter, oils, even simple root vegetables." Taking a few more steps, the tall pale-haired jann slows down as he struggles with the question of how much. "How much...?" he seems to ask of the evening air, as if unfamiliar with units of measurement.

"We jann can subsist on less, but it has been several weeks for myself as well. I will be happy to remedy your ignorance, mamluk, if it would please you to carry our discussion into the cave," once more he politely gestures toward the escarpment, his demeanor growing increasingly disturbed, crystalline eyes darting toward the slightest sound coming from the crags.[/SECTION]

Salahuddin notices the glances Usqual seems to make towards the cave. His sudden insistence seemed odd and out of place for one with honorable intentions. Salahuddin reached out to Easifa.

My gen go checkout this cave. I have a suspicion that this Jann has ulterior motives. Be careful.

As his familiar made it's way to the cave Salahuddin bows again to Usqual.

"Where are my manners. If her Emminance, the Lady Fatima had known I forgot the ritual of greeting she would make me recite etiquette for the next year. Please do not tell her Usqual. She will be so cross that I forgot my lessons."

As Salahuddin speaks he pulls a bag from his belt. He reaches inside and pulls a small silver box. He pulls a decanter similar to the one Huran now possesses and a small bowl. Next Salahuddin withdraws a small puzzle box. He then removes a small brazier. Last he pulls a small rug. He spreads the rug on the sand I front of him and arranges the items on the rug.

The silver box is places on the corner of the rug that points south. Salahuddin opens the lid revealing black salt. He then takes the decanter and speaks a word in Janti "trickle", he then pours the contents of the flask into the bowl. The bowl is placed to the west. He then places the brazier to the north lighting it with a flint. Salahuddin then picks up the puzzle box. He shifts the pieces around until it clicks. Then a light breeze begins to blow. The Sha'ir then gestures to the rug.

"I see you Usqual al-Shakari, Jann of the High Desert. I greet you in the name of the Great Khan master of earth and stone." With this Salahuddin takes a small bit of the salt and places it to his lips. "I greet you in the name of the Great Padisha mistress of wave and water. Salahuddin dips his fingers in the bowl and places it to his forehead then lips. "I greet you in the name of the Sultan master of smoke and fire." The Sha'ir sprinkles something into the brazier. Acrid blue smoke rises up and Salahuddin wafts it into his face and breaths deeply. "I greet you in the name of the Great Caliph master of wind and sky." With the final greeting he scatters flower petals into the breeze and a scent of jasmin wafts over him and the Jann.

Salahuddin bows again to Usqual.

"I have greeted you in the name of the four. I now greet you in my name Salahuddin ibn Hamid al-Qadib, The Wind Called, Consort of the Venerable Fatima idn Zaida, the Mistress of the Northern Gale, Mortal Hand of the Great Caliph Husam al-Balil ben Nafhat al-Yugayyim. I see you as friend may you always find shade."

OOC: This is all spoken in Janti.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Brilliant stalling tactic [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION]! It's going to work because courtesy is of importance to the jann & because you have the genie-touched background... but make a DC 14 Charisma (Deception) check to determine if Salahuddin's delivery is smooth enough to fool Usqual. On a success, Usqual just assumes that you're being formal and thorough in your introduction. On a failure, Usqual suspects you've stalled for some ulterior reason.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal looks on the ceremony with great interest. Despite traveling these lands for nearly a decade, the traditions and customs of the Jinn were still foreign to him. He nodded along, noting the elemental references and obvious links to the rules of hospitality. It certainly was elaborate!

Insight check about the Jinn ceremony : 1D20+1 = [15]+1 = 16

... he was staling for time by being polite. Lal's smiled widened even further, even more satisfied with the whole affair. The subtleties and lessons here would merit much pondering.

OOC: The player is impressed, I wanted to see if Lal was too ;)

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION] Salahuddin's invoking of the formal greeting between ins (mortal) and genie was not a matter the jann could dismiss. Furrowing his brow, Usqual waits impatiently as the sha'ir honors the four elements, smiling when appropriate beneath his veil to avoid conveying any disrespect. Only when Salahuddin pours a trickle from his decanter does the corner of the jann's eye twitch, betraying some trace of emotion.

”I receive your greeting Salahuddin ibn Hamid, the Wind Called,” responds Usqual, speaking Jannti, placing a hand over his heart and bowing slightly. ”With such manners, you must be the envy of every courtier in the Mistress of the Northern Gale’s court,” he says in a smooth tone…albeit his facial gestures are infuriatingly difficult to read. ”I, Usqual al-Shakari, of the House of Sihr, loyal adjutant to… Sheikh Ja’afar-al-Din al-Shakari, bear witness to your knowledge of the ways of my people. May you always walk the paths of the four, and never be trapped between the worlds.” His voice falters momentarily on mentioning his Sheikh’s name, as if there were some uncertainty that goes unspoken.

Once again, Usqual bows, completing the ceremonial greetings. Thereupon, he offers a humble half-bow and extends a hand toward the escarpment silently, raising his brows.[/SECTION]

[SECTION]Having bought enough time for Easifa to reach the cave, the invisible gen telepathically reaches out to Salahuddin, ”I am at the cave, oh my master. There indeed are two boys here, though they are vigorous and older than the jann suggested. One has a short bow; he watches the entrance. The other is helping a young woman grind walnuts into meal. Mmmm…. and there is the aroma of coffee… Ah, and here must be the woman he mentioned, Hadia al-Sarraf, mistress of the caravanserai. I see her back; she is wringing water from the linens...it looks like she is trying to get blood stains out of a shirt... There are the sounds of others here too, perhaps two or three more. What is your bidding?”[/SECTION]

Remove ads