D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Matthan

Explorer
Holding his hand out to let the others know to hang back, Husam approaches Usqual with a slight bow. "We do not wish to insult the caravanserai by barging into their presence. Would you do us the honor of announcing our presence to your fellows and asking them to join us out here." He lowers his voice to a whisper, "I'm sure you know the Lawgiver asks much of the person receiving a visitor into their home in the way of hospitality. We do not wish to burden the caravanserai with further shame for their inability to welcome us due to their difficult circumstances. Moreover, we travel with people of high station whose honor would be besmirched to be received in such a way in someone's home, even a temporary one. Meeting out here preserves their dignity and our honor. I know it is a burden, but I have a sense that you are familiar with the intricacies of nobility. Would you help us in this regard?"

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Perking his ear to Husam's voice behind him on the narrow ascending steps, Usqual listens. He listens to the half-orc as much as to the night wind. "Of course, in such civilized company, I would not wish to besmirch the honor of the caravanserai mistress," Usqual replies with a touch of irony to his voice, eyes squinting near the edges as if he were smiling under his veil. With not even a word, Usqual pushes himself from the edge of the sandstone escarpment and is born aloft on unseen winds, soon alighting alongside Salahuddin, his valet, and Harun.

"If you'll allow me," the tall pale-haired janni places a hand over his chest before slipping by you and whistling two soft notes. One of the songbirds nestled into the escarpment face replies in kind, fluttering down to beat its wings in front of Usqual as if it recognizes him before entering the cave. After a moment, a boy of 12 or 13 with a short bow and sunken eyes steps out of the shadows...

"Ah Na'im, these travelers mean you no harm. Na'im is quite gifted with the bow. There are youth among my people who would envy such skill." Usqual affectionately places a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Apprise your mother that we will be having guests?"[/SECTION]

GM: Google art search is failing me for art representing a suitable family (Arabian/Persian mother and sons), so we'll just have to use our imaginations.

Scrunching his brow, the rough-and-tumble Na'im surveys the well-dressed Harun and Salahuddin, clearly wondering what nobility is doing at Hakim Oasis, but his eyes go wide upon seeing the towering Sinjin. "Is he a genie too? How- how- how many of you are there?" As the rest of you – Husam, Akilah, Amina, and Lal Qalandar – reach the top of the stairs, the boy's eyes go wider still at the mamluk tattoos, clerical vestments, and giant axes.

Gathering his wits, Na'im picks up a small bronze lantern to guide you into the sandstone caves. The floors are well-worn from the passage of visitors to the primitive caravanserai. Along the base of the walls is a smooth groove cut into the sandstone, about half-an-inch-wide, some three inches above the floor. Otherwise, the walls bear minimal signs of human influence save where small alcoves were dug out to serve as repositories for lanterns or trade goods.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal smiles broadly at the boy "oh just a few - and we bring food, we do not wish to stress your hospitality. Take us to your mistress, we are bearers of good tidings!"

As the group moves through the cave, Lal rummages in his bag - a challenging task as the inside is far larger than the exterior. His hand passes several waterskins, bales of hay, packets of food... aha! a sack. A sack filled with toys and curios. The boy had suffered much, and his spirits needed bolstering... yes, yes this would do just fine.

"Na'im, for your services and bravery in these difficult time, I give you this" Lal extended his hand and resting in his palm was a toy made of painted brass, with a large key in the back. "See, you twist this key here a few times and it wounds a spring - I don't understand how it works, but where I come form some people are very clever with clock-works and such". "It is a slug-man. See how his eye-stack move around, and how he puffs little rings of smoke?"

Smiling kindly he adds "I know Fate has not been kind to you lately... but Fate is mysterious, and we must accept it. This little mechanical slugman was made by someone decades, and it has crossed oceans and desert... just for you. Fate will bring you good things too".

Quickleaf

Legend
Na'im wears the shoes of an older brother well, keeping in check his exuberance at seeing the sack filled with toys and curios offered by Lal Qalandar, attempting to survey it with the practiced eye of a hardened desert trader. It must be an expression the boy learned from an uncle or father. "It's a...slug...man?" Reaching out hesitantly, Na'im catches himself and purses his lips. "Well, I can puff a pipe like this and no one needs to turn a key in me. It is... fancy." He quickly adds, not wanting to offend the gift-giver. "Thank you, I- my younger brother Naji will enjoy playing with it."

Veering right at an intersection, Na'im leads you through a wending passage into a cavern lit by similar bronze lanterns that has been adorned like a common room, with several cots, a wide carpet strewn with pillows, a tarnished silver pitcher of tea, even a makeshift hammock slung between two boulders. Pots and pans and drying clothes hang from lines stretched across the cavern. Na'im, still unable to take his eyes away from the wonders Lal brought from the Purple Lands, tugs silently at the hem of his mother's skirt.

[SECTION]A stout woman with tired eyes yet a smile so benign it is either purely genuine or expertly practice rises with an effort from the clothes she was washing. "Where did you get–" Eyes going wide upon seeing your assemblage enter the room, it takes the matron a moment to realize that you're no threat. "I see Usqual brings guests. I am Hadia al-Sarraf, keeper of what's left," she says sucking in her cheek, using humor to sweeten the salt of her loss. "Welcome to the caravanserai. Naji! Naji! Pour these travelers some tea. Under whose flag do you come to Hakim Oasis?"

She claps her hands to summon her younger son, a tousle-haired boy of 10 or 11 who comes scampering down through a nearly vertical shaft that must lead to the top of the rock escarpment. Immediately, he is distracted by your party and then by eagerly talking with his brother about the clockwork slug-man and other toys. Only after his mother chastises him and calls again does Naji lift the massive tea kettle, pouring it skillfully into glasses of varying sizes and coloration; the steaming tea smells of potent anise, cardamom, hibiscus, and cinnamon.

Hadia makes a point of gesturing to pillows arranged in a semi-circle on the floor, glancing meaningfully at Usqual as she hands him a glass of tea.
Sitting down, Hadia picks up a bowl of salt and, as is customary among desert tribes, dabs her finger in the bowl to lick a small quantity of salt, making a sour face, before passing it to Salahuddin on her left. "You've come when we have little to offer. Raiders from the Badu al-Kabir took their weight in blood and supplies, even our herds are gone now. I'm afraid I have little food to offer; our wheat stores were burned in the raid, and we were only able to save what we could carry."[/SECTION]

Matthan

Explorer
Husam gave a courteous bow. He had hoped to not burden these unfortunate souls with the expectations of hospitality, but the jann was apparently calloused to their plight. "We bring you greetings from the court of Sheikh Ali al-Hadd honored ruler of Tajar, may his rule grow in peace and wisdom, who holds this oasis under his beneficent protection. The Sheikh's will in this matter is overseen by the wisdom and grace of his vizier, Akilah, who stands before you. In his name, we are pleased to inform you that the terror that dwelt within the oasis is no more, and the raiders who assaulted your people will soon be dealt with as well. We are honored to share your table and hope that you will allow us to aid you in preparing to finish your journey."

Husam motioned for the others to take seats around Hadia's table waiting for everyone to be seated before allowing himself to join them.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal bows deeply before sitting down, and takes of the salt as it is passed around, handing it to Husam next.

"An excellent tea. We thank you for your hospitality. I am Lal Qualandar. Given the circumstances, please allow me to offer a modest contribution to your larder"

As he says so, Lal reaches into his satchel - the same containing his sack of toys and trinkets. After a moment he finds what he seeks, and begin pulling packages of trail rations - dried figs and dates, nuts, pistachios, meat smoked and dried in the desert sun...

OOC: Lal offers 10 days of rations and a bottle of wine

"Please, accept my humble gift - it is nothing. I have traveled many years and enjoyed the hospitality of many a caravanserai, I am sure you would have done the same for me...." looking at Hadia al-Sarraf with a knowing eye, he reaches in the enchanted satchel again and pulls out a flat, deep green "brick", with an elaborate design printed on it "Where I am from, tea is often pressed into bricks for easy transport. I am afraid it is but tea of the third quality, but it is for you ". With a small flourish, Lal leans forward, arm extended and reverses the brick - on the other side, pressed into it is a large, flame orange flower. "A Palash, not found in the desert".

Lal sits back, with a beatific smile. Hope was the greatest gift. But there was business to conduct. "We encountered in the oasis a large, many headed monster, which we dispatched. My companions are great warriors and wield many subtle arts. But we did not see the raiders. As Husam said, we are ... interested... in them. Can you tell us more about them, and what occurred here?"

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Just as Hadia is about to object to Lal Qalandar's generosity, the janni Usqual wraps his robes about himself and takes a seat on the floor around the meager offerings and tea. "As you can see, sitt (lady) al-Sarraf, these windswept heroes are no common travelers." He nods to Husam with his mamluk facial tattoos. "They have not come to seek shelter at the caravanserai. Why, they are even sent from the city," and when he says the word 'city', Usqual suppresses a disparaging tone, "on orders from their Sheikh. Instead of seeking shelter, they've come to offer you solace."[/SECTION]

[SECTION]Frowning, Hadia al-Sarraf shakes her head at Usqual while blowing over the hot tea. "What sort of a caravanserai keeper would I be if I did not extend common courtesy to our guests?" Despite the adversity she has faced, the middle-aged matron speaks with the grace of one who has mastered the arts of imposing hospitality. "I receive the greeting from the court of Sheikh al-Hadd, who has always been a friend to the keepers of Hakim Oasis." She nods to Husam. "And these gifts of tea and foodstuffs are also received with humility," placing a hand over her breast, she bows her head to Lal Qalandar. Her sons Na'im and Naji quickly scour the rations for choice bits of smoked meat before their mother admonishes them with a clucking of her tongue.

"We saw snake-like things near the pool, but did not realize they were the heads of one monster."

"Black-robed raiders struck three weeks ago," begins Hadia, watching as the bowl of salt is passed around. Her voice hesitates in recalling the pain and in trusting your party. "They came at night near the new moon, red eyes glinting off our lanterns in the darkness. I only saw them from afar, but Malsoor – the caravanserai's water-bearer – fought with them and may tell you more. Great men with veils and masks, moving like..." Her brows furrow at the pain of the memory and a lack of ability to describe what she'd seen.[/SECTION]

Naji chirps up as he chews on a bit of smoked meat, "Like a sleepwalking man?"

[SECTION]His mother smiles weakly and pats his shoulder. "Yes, like a sleepwalker."[/SECTION]

Salahuddin smiles and takes a seat on one of the pillows next to Hadia al-Sarraf. He performs the ritual and smiles at the caravanserai. He passes the salt on to Lal and watches as the man gives supplies to the beleaguered woman. He listens to the conversation and looks to the boys as they pick through the rations.

"Most of your stores are gone? I would save the rations Lal Qalandar just gifted you. Sinjin here will make a meal for tonight. Also please show him to your cistern he can provide you with some clean fresh water."

Salahuddin gives the woman a reassuring smile. He listens as the others begin to question the woman.

tglassy

Adventurer
OOC: When it comes to Harun's turn to take the salt, he is going to use Sleight of Hand to make it look like he took the salt, but in reality he will not. Sleight of Hand check: [roll0]

Sleight of Hand is Expertised, which is +12, plus 5 for dex and +5 for Gloves of Thieving, which are on and invisible. I guess that should have been +22. Not sure where I got 23.

And with a crit, my work here is done.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Remove ads