D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Quickleaf

Legend
Four things become evident to Akilah as she examines Malsoor and his unsightly neck wound.

First, the man seems to have flecks of blood in his cough, judging from his hankerchief, indicating there may be something functioning more like a disease. However, he displays few other symptoms that would be typical of a diseased individual – no sweating, nausea, headaches, and so forth.

Second, the wound was delivered by a cleaving weapon like an axe or greatsword – something designed to deal damage on initial impact, not by cutting and drawing across the flesh like a skilled warrior would do with a longsword or scimitar.

Third, the man's skin is spectacularly unblemished despite being of middle age and dwelling at a caravanserai. Furthermore, the site of the wound has faint signs of healing already occurring...more so than Akilah would expect after six weeks or so. However, his's body's natural healing stops at the edge of the wound.

Fourth, try as she might, Akilah can only catch the faintest intermittent pulse in the man, never long enough to determine how fast his heart beats. It is peculiar.

Quickleaf

Legend
"These Khaldunis they came from Ubar. They must have fallen far if they steal the very nature from their brethren. It was right that your Sheikh would try to end their dishonor. It is sad that your tribe was defeated. What would these Khaldunis do with your water?"

Salahuddin looks at the Jann.

"Could you perhaps show me where this Khaldun Oasis is located. I have never been told of these Khaldunis. Perhaps you could tell me of them? We have been tasked with finding these raiders that have attacked here and elsewhere within the desert and these Khaldunis seem to fit the description those who survived have given. If they are involved in these raids it would be good that I learn of them."

[SECTION]Usqual nods, folding his hands into his lap, sitting perfectly upright, the only hint of his mood expressive eyes above the red veil ornamented with white beads. Again, he nods a bit lower. "The defeat will echo in our memories for years to come, but, I assure you, when I return to the Great Anvil I will convince the Amir to take heed of what has happened here. Then he'll no longer be able to stay neutral." Despite his veil, Usqual's scowl is obvious, though it fades as quickly as all the jann's emotions, returning to an enigmatic bemusement. "The Khaldunis take the waters of life for themselves. I can only imagine what foul magic they work."

Again, Usqual courteously nods to Salahuddin, freeing his hands from the folds of his robe with a flourish, "Of course, your map? And Naji, a pen and ink, if you would, young one. Khaldun Oasis is some 90 miles to the south and east, following the al-Sabiya River. The oasis lies east of the river, where the Badu al-Kabir meets al-Yabki Mountains." Receiving pen and ink from the boy, he places them on the carpet in front of him. "Raiders? If the Khaldunis had their way there'd be no world beyond their little oasis. Behind marble pillars, they count themselves masters of infinite space, not realizing they have denied their true natures. They keep many...guests...little more than slaves...men and women who were lost in the desert, many seeking The Lost City, but these guests are not free to leave for they pay the water price to the Khalduni Sheikh for five years. I did not see much of their encampment – they frequently kept my eyes shrouded and kept us prisoners in a covered pit. However, I overhead them speak with fear the name "Zu'l Janah" on several occasions...some monster or evil god perhaps."[/SECTION]

GM: I believe we said [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] Husam was carrying the party's map? Just remember that sharing your map to have NPCs add things to it also means sharing your map, so the NPC can see what you've marked so far. Do you give the map to the jann?

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
Husam takes his pack off his shoulder and produces the map. He clears some of the abandoned tea cups and rolls out the map on the table and gestures for the Jann to come over to it.

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Rising, Usqual carries pen and ink to the table. Studying the map, he seems puzzled at first before coming to understand it. "Ah yes, we are here. Hakim Oasis. And Khaldun is 90 miles to the southeast. Here." He deftly marks a dot on the map and labels it.[/SECTION]

U0AbSyH.png

Last edited:

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah's face wrinkles at the results of her examination. "More questions than answer." she thought. "This could take some time. If you don't mind I'd like to get started."
OOC: I'm terrible at this components thing. Let me know if you're not okay with a fast and loose components system and I will do some homework and make a no :):):):):) list of what components I would logically carry.
Actions: First casting Remove Curse. Will await results if any, then cast Greater Restoration.
[sblock=Prepared Spells]
1: Cure Wounds, Bless
2: Hold Person, Silence, Zone of Truth
3: Mass Healing Word, Revivify, Remove Curse
4: Banishment, Locate Creature, Divination
5: Greater Restoration, Scrying, Mass Cure Wounds
6: Word of Recall, Heal[/sblock]

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Placing her hands upon the water bearer, Akilah feels the power of Hakiyah filling her hands, sensing some great weight lifting from the man as she casts remove curse. There is no sign of any changes to the wound after watching the water bearer for thirty seconds.

Malsoor inhales as if it is his first free breath in a long time, "Ah, you are a cleric of the Enlightened Faith? I did not realize." He begins to lean forward, but groans, clutching his neck again. "You do me a great service, healer."[/SECTION]

Thateous

Explorer
"Save your thanks for when you have fully regained you strength. I am going to begin the next phase of treatment, so please try to relax. This will only take a moment." Akilah retrieves a vial from her pouch filled with a fine crystalline powder. She removes the cork and begins chanting as the fine particles begin to swirl from the vial to cover the water-bearer.
OOC: Actions: Casting Greater Restoration.
[sblock=Prepared Spells]

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal observes the proceedings. Only the very wary would note how he has transferred the weight on the ball of his foot, how his hands have every so slowly spread apart on this Tabar, and how he isn't leaning on it at all anymore. He tried to extend his senses - if there was going to be treachery, this very well could be it...

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Akilah can feel another layer of malady lift from the water bearer; whatever taint afflicted him leaves the man, turning the diamond powder dark, ultimately crumbling it into dust. The few curtains hanging in the caravanserai's sick room sway in an unseen breeze which causes the oil lantern to flicker.

The black and purple veins tracing Malsoor's wound rapidly disappear before Akilah's eyes, as if their presence had just been a trick of the shadows. Taking a long inhalation, Malsoor closes his eyes with a look of relief. "Yes. Yes, it has been too long since I felt myself." He looks about the sick room with wide dilated pupils, as if he is able to see his surrounds clearly, free of pain, for the first time in a long time. Staring at Akilah, he speaks in his raspy voice, now sounding stronger, "If there is some boon I may give you, healer, you have to but speak it."[/SECTION]

Thateous

Explorer
"A boon? Speak it and it's mine. What are you a Jinn too?" Akilah scoffs at the notion.
OOC: I have not the slightest clue how to even answer that.
[sblock=Prepared Spells]

Remove ads