What do the PCs find in a City of the Jann?

Quickleaf

Legend
I've got questions about how you envision the whole planeshifting city thing working.

According to the text, the city just got back from the elemental plane of fire. This seems like a hugely important fact. How can a city of hanging gardens and magical fig trees, with silk banners shading the streets, manage on the plane of fire with its essential features unchanged? Wouldn't everything but the stone burn slam up? Every tree and blade of grass would whither to ash. Every stream, spring, pool and fountain would dry up. Glass would run like water, and paint would leap into flame. All those talking animals and tamed beasts would have long ago been BBQ. Was Qaybar an entirely different city in form when on the Elemental Plane of Fire? Or does Qaybar bring with it some sort of bubble that mitigates the whole "We're not in Al Kansas anymore." thing.

Ah, great question! I'm using the 5e version of the Plane of Fire, which isn't universally a conflagration... The 5e DMG describes it as mostly being comparable to a hot desert (though the deeper one goes the hotter it gets), albeit wracked by cinder storms (fierce wind and thick ash) which can complicate breathing. Most travelers to the plane cover their mouths with a scarf or keffiyeh. Also, the deeper one goes, the rarer water becomes.

I also envision Qaybar as a bit of a roaming oasis. One of the things that stood out about jann in the Al-Qadim setting is that they were stewards of oases, knowing all the secret watering holes of the desert. If someone was using an older version of the Plane of Fire then, yes, I'd recommend having Qaybar have its own bubble to some extent.

Certainly the city was different on the Plane of Fire, but maybe not as extreme as you describe... For example, there likely was less water for gardens/agriculture/bathing (since create food and water is enough for drinking but not really for heavier uses), so the gardens may have been xeriscaped, with only the oldest/sacred trees being watered preferentially. There may have been sections of the city that ran hotter, with glass rivers and flaming paintings, and swarms of fire bats (a few which still linger to this day).

One of the things I liked about your NPCs and locations is how you're building in that "formerly subjugated by efreet on the Plane of Fire" theme.

On a related note, I kinda had in my view of history...

Long, Long Ago: The Jann are subjugated by the Efreet
Some time After: The Jann revolt, many Jann become wanderers
Some time After: Qaybar is formed, as refuge for the Jann and center of their power.
Since Then: Qaybar has been planeshifting around, occasionally returning to the plane of fire and sometimes resisting sieges

But your time line seems to imply...

A Short Time Ago: Qaybar was dominated by the Efreet
A Short Time After That: It planeshifts away, and now the Jann are temporarily free, but...
A Century Hence: They'll probably be dominated by the Efreet again

This latter conception, if it and not my earlier conception is correct, changes almost everything. Please clarify how this works.

I like your timeline much better, so let's go with that! :)

My original timeline emerged out of adapting an adventure (Blood & Fire by John Baichtal in DUNGEON #63); in that adventure there's an un-detailed city called "Qaybar" that the author uses as a starting point for the adventure. Originally it was a human city with ambiguous placement "somewhere" in Zakhara (there were suggestions given for a few places); in the original, the timeline of the "warlord" being overthrown was much faster.

[SBLOCK=original intro to Blood & Fire]
HSIyslR.png
[/SBLOCK]

That was the original mention of Qaybar, nothing else.

In adapting the adventure to my Al-Qadim PbP game, I came up with the idea of having Qaybar be a City of the Jann the PCs would travel to, rather than a generic pseudo-Arabian starting point. I had previously corresponded with Rob McCaleb, the cartographer who did the wonderful fan map of Al-Qadim, and he placed Qaybar in the southern High Desert inland from the Pearl Cities ("where trade is the second law of the Loregiver").

So that gave me a starting point. These jann would have a mercantile culture, and a city that reflected their nomadic nature as described in the Monster Manual, and I've just been building on it from there...

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
Ah, great question! I'm using the 5e version of the Plane of Fire, which isn't universally a conflagration... The 5e DMG describes it as mostly being comparable to a hot desert (though the deeper one goes the hotter it gets), albeit wracked by cinder storms (fierce wind and thick ash) which can complicate breathing. Most travelers to the plane cover their mouths with a scarf or keffiyeh. Also, the deeper one goes, the rarer water becomes.

Ahh... ok. I'm not familiar with 5e cosmology. In 1e through 3e, extreme levels of adaptation were needed to survive on the elemental plane of fire.

But regardless, I suggest you work out in advance how this is all going to work. For example, when they hit the elemental plain of water, are they going to be in a bubble of air, or is everything going to be underwater? When they get to the elemental plain of earth, are all the spaces suddenly going to be filled with solid rock, or is city going to snap neatly into a cave that fits it? If you don't have a bubble, then the city is absolutely going to be dominated by the need to be continually preparing for the next transition as the overwhelming factor in civic life. I have done basically zero world building along the lines of a city that is prepared for radical transitions in its environment. I'm also unsure that the Jann are well enough adapted to the other planes to live there without a bubble of some sort.

One of the things I liked about your NPCs and locations is how you're building in that "formerly subjugated by efreet on the Plane of Fire" theme.

Yes, but I realized that I was getting all my world building completely wrong. I was building for a society that had been largely stable for centuries and had reached a decadent pinnacle. I wasn't building for a society that had a violent revolution 10 or 20 years prior, was in the process of rebuilding from that while facing the absolute certainty of having to defend itself to the last in a century. That society would look completely different, and almost all of my characters are wrong for it. The society that got out from under the throne of the Efreet a few years ago and was about to face another plunge would be 100% devoted to military affairs and could afford to be 100% devoted to military affairs. Unless you know that you can weather the coming storm, no one is going to relax and do anything else. Forget art and decoration, we need walls, siege engines, gates, weapons, armies, fortresses, and mighty spells and we need them now.

I like your timeline much better, so let's go with that! :)

I don't know that my timeline is better, but I think Qaybar is a very different place if this is the first cycle that they've been free or if they know that in most cycles they become enslaved. Qaybar only looks like what you've been describing if Qaybar has gone through the trials of several cycles and been able to handle them. Some of my PC really can only be understood as being someone who remembers what it was like before Qaybar had relative peace, security, prosperity, and stability. The Qaybar early post revolution is dominated 100% by characters like Maysoon Lubadah Kanaan and Sheik Abdul Rayib Bey Salib. There are no other factions around really at that point. Everyone is basically either Fanatics or Extreme Fanatics, and everyone is going to be pretty much going, "They are going to want revenge, and we've only got 100 years to get ready." Your description of Qaybar places the armed forces as being only about 3% of the populace. In a situation of existential survival, I'd expect the armed forces to be closer to 8-10% of the populace. My assumption was that the first 3-5 cycles, the Efreet wanted revenge, but gradually as it became clear that retaking Qaybar was a costly enterprise with small reward, the Efreet finally rationalized to themselves that they didn't really want that wet, dirty, breezy city with its mongrel inhabitants scarcely fit to be slaves anyway.

In adapting the adventure to my Al-Qadim PbP game, I came up with the idea of having Qaybar be a City of the Jann, rather than a generic pseudo-Arabian starting point. I had previously corresponded with Rob McCaleb, the cartographer who did the wonderful fan map of Al-Qadim, and he placed Qaybar in the southern High Desert inland from the Pearl Cities ("where trade is the second law of the Loregiver").

Ok. Well, if you are high level, a city of Jann makes a better locus for adventures than an ordinary city.

So, might I suggest you outline what you are thinking of in very broad terms as the history of the city?

Rough Draft to Get you Started

~5000 Years Ago - A Jann Hero is charged with protecting the Seal of Jafar al-Samal. He founds Qaybar in the caldera of an extinct volcano, and hides the seal. He charges his descendants with protecting the seal from harm. During this time, Qaybar is mostly a small quasi-religious outpost, visited by desert nomads sporadically to settle disputes, exchange brides, barter, and perform sacrifices and festivals.
~4000 Years Ago - A Pasha of the Efreet is charged with creating an outpost or settlement on the Prime Material Plane. He chooses Qaybar as a likely target, secretly hoping to discover the seal of Jafar al-Samal and with it over throw the Sultan. Armed with the Sultans armies, he quickly destroys the descendants of the ancient hero, and with it knowledge of the location of the seal. With the with aid of laborers on the Plane of Fire stokes its flames to make the environment suitably hot, and after investigating but not finding the seal, appoints one of his sons as Malik of the city to rule over it.
~4000-1000 Years Ago - The outpost of Qaybar grows into a small city from which the Efreet now rule the surrounding region with an flaming iron hand. They take many slaves, but favor the Jann for their hardiness. Jann population grows to nearly an order of magnitude larger than the their Efreet masters.
~1010 Years Ago: The Jann begin to rise up, aided by Djinn, Jann nomads (some of whom were escaped slaves), and (to a largely unacknowledged extent, human slaves and neighboring human cities with grudges against the Efreet).
~1000 Years Ago: After brutal fighting, the Malik is killed. A small band of heroes of the fighting rediscover the location of the seal of Seal of Jafar al-Samal. After discovering that some of their Djinn allies now wish to steal the seal for their own, claiming that they alone have the power to protect it, the heroes vow to prevent it falling into hands of any genie, and cast a great spell using a mix of mortal, immortal and divine magic that causes Qaybar and its immediate environs to begin to planeshift semi-randomly about the inner planes, thereby ensuring that no power of the inner planes except the Jann will find Qaybar a favorable center of power for long. They appoint their leader to be the new Emir, and swear absolute secrecy regarding the location and even existence of the seal.
~900 Years Ago: The Efreet seek to retake Qaybar and exact vengeance when it arrives on the Plane of Fire. Many of the heroes of the revolution are slain in the siege, but despite 20 years of fighting Qaybar remains standing.
~700 Years Ago: Qaybar is briefly overrun by an angry Sultan who dispatches his whole army against the city, killing many of the Jann but at great cost in lives. They try to remove the curse on Qaybar but fail, owing to the use of mortal magic in its creation.
~670 Years Ago: Efreet are forced to abandon their occupation after Qaybar planeshifts to the Elemental plane of Water, resulting in great loss of life and the death of one of the Sultans sons.
~500 Years Ago: The last major attempt to subjugate Qaybar occurs, but during the siege, one of the Pashas uses the opportunity to stage a palace coup and slay the then Sultan. The armies are withdrawn.
Present Day: Whatever plots you want to lay in motion.

Modify this to fit whatever your secrets are and whatever you know or have already established about the time line.

Assumption: The City of Brass is no more than about 1/10th as populace as it is sometimes portrayed in 3e.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Ahh... ok. I'm not familiar with 5e cosmology. In 1e through 3e, extreme levels of adaptation were needed to survive on the elemental plane of fire.

Yep, I know AD&D the best. It looks like with 5e they've described the elemental planes as having a slightly different layout - much of the plane is a border zone that's more survivable for non-natives, and then the heart of the plane is the pure element that requires extreme adaptation to survive. I've been going with the 5e assumption (since that's what we're playing), but I think it can work for any edition.

For example, if you are using the AD&D/d20 Plane of Water, then Qaybar's planeshift into Water would look a little different... the Eternal Deluge around Sheikh Salib's place would expand to cover the whole city and just not stop until crossing into the Plane of Water. A sphere of air would surround Qaybar allowing its non-water breathing inhabitants to survive. This bubble, legends say, is a byproduct of a great spell cast by Jafar al-Samal, the first sha'ir, upon Qaybar when he hid his Seal there from other genie-kind.

But regardless, I suggest you work out in advance ahead of time how this is all going to work. For example, when they hit the elemental plain of water, are they going to be in a bubble of air, or is everything going to be underwater? When they get to the elemental plain of earth, are all the spaces suddenly going to be filled with solid rock, or is city going to snap neatly into a cave that fits it? If you don't have a bubble, then the city is absolutely going to be dominated by the need to be continually preparing for the next transition as the overwhelming factor in civic life. I have done basically zero world building along the lines of a city that is prepared for radical transitions in its environment.

Here's my conception of how the build-up to, and eventually crossing over into, each elemental plane would look...

Into Air: In the months prior to the planeshift, birds flock to the city in even greater numbers and fierce winds whip through the surrounding land, kicking up sandstorms (or tsunamis, or thunderstorms, or windstorms). Because the djinn are the most beneficent of genie-kind, many pilgrims journey to Qaybar in caravans the hunker down, pressing through biting storms. Sail-makers and skyship-wrights travel to the city to ply their trades. Sales of kites, winged mounts, and other magic trinkets allowing flying would skyrocket. Strange portents, voices, songs, and scents are carried on the morning breeze. Like our own world's Chinook winds, the city's inhabitants go through uncomfortable transitions, erratic behavior, and strange dreams. Eventually, after a particularly fierce storm, the city finds itself floating on an earthberg suspended on a roiling cloud.

Into Water: In the months prior to the planeshift, The Eternal Deluge surrounding Sheikh Salib's palace grows even stronger, causing roots to become inundated with water. Lotus blossoms bloom, but many land-based gardens begin to suffer rot, and the agriculture transitions to something more like fantastical hydroponics. The surrounding region of Qaybar's current plan gets hit by hard rains, causing rivers to flood, which is good for some crops like rice but bad for others as well as making travel exceedingly difficult. Boat-makers would begin to flock to Qaybar, working with great intensity, as would emissaries to the marids. Sales in magical trinkets allowing underwater breathing and aquatic mounts would increase. Rivers might shift their flow to fill in the "open mouth" of Qaybar's crescent. Eventually, after a hard rain on a cloudy/misty night, the city's inhabitants awaken to find themselves on a small island amidst an Endless Sea. Lower sections of the city - such as the "Charnel Quarter" - might become partially submerged, so, for example, the ghasts/ghouls serving Ibn Natn might become lacedons.

Into Earth: In the months prior to the planeshift, nightly tremors would cause rocks to upthrust around the city like fingers extending from the sands/seas/flames (or floating "earth-bergs" to be attracted to Qaybar as if by magnetism on the Plane of Air). These tremors might cause canyons to form, such that travelers to Qaybar must enter via canyon trails. Miners and cavers would be employed by the various nobles and merchants in great number, and mages able to cast dig/move earth/passwall would be in great demand. Sales of lodestones, giant lizards, and magical light sources would increase. Strange creatures and secret passages may be unearthed in the "Charnel Quarter." Sandstorms / Dust storms would whip against the city's walls, and in the mind's eye might seem to momentarily outline a massive cavern. Nights would get darker and darker, with fewer and fewer stars visible. Eventually, after a particularly fierce earthquake / storm, the sun would not rise and the city would find itself either on the slope of a dark endless mountain or within a massive cavern.

Into Fire: In the months prior to the planeshift, temperatures would soar, the wadis (seasonal river beds) would run dry, and rainfall would become increasingly infrequent. Desperate travelers would seek succor from the jann, who can create food & water as the surrounding region is plunged into drought and plagued by giant vultures. Remembering their suffering at the hands of the efreet, the jann of Qaybar would become increasingly militant and distrustful of those entering their city gates (are they spies for the efreet?). Mercenaries, armor & weapon smiths, and engineers would be commissioned for handsome fees. Mounts adapted to fire like nightmares would be especially prized, and sales of potions of fire resistance (and similar magics) would increase. Hot springs would form throughout the city, with purportedly healing properties even as they wreck havoc on the agriculture. In the hot dry environment, different plants and animals would thrive. Dazzling light and blazing heat would increase to the point that outside of the city walls dry trees and bushes might spontaneously combust. Eventually, under the midday sun, the light would become blinding and the denizens would find that by night time they smoldering embers of the Plane of Fire surrounded their city...and soon the efreet would follow.

I'm also unsure that the Jann are well enough adapted to the other planes to live there without a bubble of some sort.
That's a difficult question to answer by-the-book, because originally jann in AD&D / d20 could survive on any of the Inner Planes for up to 48 hours, implying they could breath underwater...for a limited time. I'm inclined to think that if they can fly (like jann in AD&D / d20), then it follows they should be able to breath underwater just fine, being beings made up of multiple elements.

Yes, but I realized that I was getting all my world building completely wrong. I was building for a society that had been largely stable for centuries and had reached a decadent pinnacle. I wasn't building for a society that had a violent revolution 10 or 20 years prior, was in the process of rebuilding from that while facing the absolute certainty of having to defend itself to the last in a century. That society would look completely different, and almost all of my characters are wrong for it. The society that got out from under the throne of the Efreet a few years ago and was about to face another plunge would be 100% devoted to military affairs and could afford to be 100% devoted to military affairs. Unless you know that you can weather the coming storm, no one is going to relax and do anything else. Forget art and decoration, we need walls, siege engines, gates, weapons, armies, fortresses, and mighty spells and we need them now.

I don't know that my timeline is better, but I think Qaybar is a very different place if this is the first cycle that they've been free or if they know that in most cycles they become enslaved. Qaybar only looks like what you've been describing if Qaybar has gone through the trials of several cycles and been able to handle them. Some of my PC really can only be understood as being someone who remembers what it was like before Qaybar had relative peace, security, prosperity, and stability. The Qaybar early post revolution is dominated 100% by characters like Maysoon Lubadah Kanaan and Sheik Abdul Rayib Bey Salib. There are no other factions around really at that point. Everyone is basically either Fanatics or Extreme Fanatics, and everyone is going to be pretty much going, "They are going to want revenge, and we've only got 100 years to get ready." Your description of Qaybar places the armed forces as being only about 3% of the populace. In a situation of existential survival, I'd expect the armed forces to be closer to 8-10% of the populace. My assumption was that the first 3-5 cycles, the Efreet wanted revenge, but gradually as it became clear that retaking Qaybar was a costly enterprise with small reward, the Efreet finally rationalized to themselves that they didn't really want that wet, dirty, breezy city with its mongrel inhabitants scarcely fit to be slaves anyway.

You're right, I'd been working from an original inspiration with a short timeline... But really I was designing for an old stable society far-removed from the initial efreet subjugation. My conception of Qaybar, like you can see from my 3% of the populace being armed forces, was of something more complex and layered. More "cold war" with the efreet (pardon the pun), than outright warfare.

I like the idea that only the most diehard militants among the efreet still advocating taking the "mongrel city" of Qaybar by force, and without the collected will of their great nobles, such efforts do little more than inflict minor damage to the jann.

I do, however, envision a few efreet magic-users trying to crack the code of where the Seal of Jafar al-Samal lies, and so they act in Qaybar under disguise, through intermediaries, or through political subterfuge.

Celebrim

Legend
*Celebrim just discovered how massive the power inflation is on Genie in 5e*

Ok then.

I have no idea how to even hint at NPC stats given that Djinn are now 14HD and Efreeti are now 15HD. If Jann follow the same scale, then a base Jann has 12HD instead of 6HD and I have no idea what Sheik Salib (who was in 3e terms 24HD and BAB +20) should be. Likewise, I had suggested a total of 21HD for Ibn Natn, but that's was on the assumption a standard Great Ghul genie was 4HD.

I really hate when the relative assumptions of power get changed that radically. I was scaling the environment to a 11th level party, and now I find that a single Efreet is 11 Challenge Rating and even the ordinary Jann of the city are about as powerful as 11th level characters.

For what it is worth, here is brief notes on Mukhluqtin Genies, since hitherto I'm the only one in the world familiar with them.

Makhluqtin, Genie; N Large Outsider (earth, water); Init +3 (Dex); HD 9+36 (hp 76); AC 20 (+3 Dex, +8 natural, –1 size); SQ: Darkvision, DR 5/slashing, Immune to Acid, Ooze Mastery, Cold Resistance 5
Atk: 2 melee Slam +12 (1d6+5)
Speed: 30 ft., swim 40 ft.; Space/Reach: 5’/10’;
Str 20, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 10
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Great Fortitude, Power Attack
Skills: Appraise +14, Bluff +12, Craft (any two) +15, Escape Artist +24, Knowledge (Planes) +14, Listen +15, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +14, Spot +15, Swim +26

Constant—detect chaos, detect law, detect magic, water walk
At will— soften earth and stone, plane shift (willing targets to elemental planes, Astral Plane, or Material Plane only), putrefy food and drink
3/day—shape water, shatter, stone shape, water breathing, veil (self only)
1/day— transmute mud to rock, transmute rock to mud

Of Two Worlds (Ex): As long as Makhluqtin are using their ground speed for movement, they may count as either touching ground or waterbourne, whichever is more favorable, for the purposes any attack or ability which depends on either condition.

Ooze Mastery (Ex): Mahkluqtin are generally at ease around all sorts of slimes, oozes, and noxious substances. They are immune to any extraordinary or supernatural ability of an ooze creature which provokes a fortitude save, and take no ability score damage from any ooze ability that causes ability score damage. They are immune to any extraordinary ability of a plant creature that provokes a fortitude save. This effect extends to hazards of a slimy or fungal nature, such as green slime, brown mold, etc.

This is why I only change systems every 15+ years.

Celebrim

Legend
Yet more inhabitants...

The Honorable Mufti, His Excellency, Wazir Shabbar Shubayr Ibn Malouf Al-Saqui, Ambassador Plenipotentiary of Her Most Resplendent Majesty Shabanu Naheeda Nathifa Aibna Shabbalock Al-Thalji, Ruler over all Frozen Lands (“Wazir Al-Saqui”, “Mufti Al-Saqui”, “Abassador Al-Saqui”, “The Ice Wazir”): Shabbar Shubayr Ibn Malouf Al-Saqui believes he is by far the highest ranking being of the most noble race in Qaybar – of much greater rank than the city’s Emir - and if it were not for the great value his posting had to his Empress the Shabnu, and the confidence that she showed in his ability he would not suffer to be among such a hideous and barbarous city. In particular, hot sand strikes him as perhaps the most abominable thing ever to exist. However, Wazir Al-Saqui is a skilled enough ambassador to not let those opinions be known, at least overtly. Wazir Al-Saqui is a Noble Quarashi (10HD, Rog8) that stands over 12’ high. He is of slender build. His skin is light blue, and he goes about shirtless – his chest and arms decorated only with delicate traceries of frost. He wears white pants embodied with gold thread, and his feet are shod with high boots of white leather (actually, yeti skin). He does not like the boots, and would prefer to be unshod – but, sand. Wazir Al-Saqui has a comely but stern face, capable of the most severe expressions, with a smile that offers all the warmth and comfort of the slumber that creeps upon someone just before they freeze to death. He is hairless, but his chin is decorated with an elegant goatee made of sea rime, and his bald pate is covered by an elaborate upswept spiky coif of the same material that makes his full height over 14’. His manners are always elegant and proper, and he makes every appearance of being gracious – at least toward those Jann of sufficiently high rank he is willing to speak to them. Those he considers inferior by more than one or two degrees, he considers beneath his notice and has only indifferent cruelty toward them if they force themselves on his awareness. Wazir Shabbar Shubayr Inb Malouf Al-Saqui has dined in the courts of the Great Padisha of the Marid and the Great Caliph of the Djinn, and served as ambassador for his lady to those most exalted royal beings. So it is only by her direct command that he has humbled himself to this seemingly dishonorable posting. Wazir Al-Saqui is on a mission of the utmost delicacy and importance, upon which he believes depends the fate of the entire multi-verse. The Quarash have long held that the division of the elements into four regions is a great oversight, and that quite properly ice ought to hold a place among the elements as important as the other four. It is their strongest desire to enlarge the para-elemental plane of ice to a full elemental plane, equal to all others and in so doing obtain the respect that they so rightly deserve. Shabanu Naheeda believes that the secret to obtaining this dream is here in Qaybar with the Jann. Her Wazir is charged with the following: gain the trust of the Jann and their Emir by supporting them against their mutual enemies the cursed Efreet. Convince the Emir to alter their great spell so that rather than being transported to the land of fire that they should sojourn in the land of ice. If he is not willing or is unable to do this, suss out the secrets of the spell so that they may subvert it for their purpose. Finally, he is to discover the secrets of the Seal of Jafar Al-Samal and if possible obtain it, so that they may bind the other Genie to their will and finally accomplish their grand design. So far these plans have not advanced very far, but he has learned much of the city and who controls the real levers of power within it. He has also learned - to both his frustration and pleasure - that, if the Jann of Qaybar do not necessarily match him in nobility or power, some of them are quite his equal in treachery.

Munir Abdul-Hamid Haik (“Munir Haik”): Munir Haik is a celebrated and wealthy member of the alchemist’s guild, most famous for inventing the process of replicating stored memories – which vastly increased the profit of the trade. In his craft he is ably assisted by his intelligent and famously beautiful wife, the lovely Shifa. Munir Haik is himself a dark hair Jann of medium height with walnut skin and large black eyes. His hands are delicate and graceful, like those of a musician. He prefers to dress in dark browns and blacks, and goes about veiled and covered in public – uncovering his face only when he is at his ease. Out of the jealousy of his rivals, he has been forced to hire several bodyguards – fierce desert Jann of the nomad tribes famous for their loyalty and their bloodlust. These are always about his person unless he is in his sanctum. Munir Haik is an introverted Jann, though he can speak eloquently and even wittily in small groups, he quickly becomes embarrassed in crowds and is prone to stuttering. The process for replicating memories has several limitations – it cannot be used to create a copy of a copy, the copy is never entirely perfect, and the process inevitably degrades the quality of the original memory, resulting in less and less immediacy as time passes until the original memory is unusable. True connoisseurs therefore always try to purchase unspoiled originals, but the first 2 to 6 copies are generally deemed acceptable depending on the skill of the alchemist. The greatest advantage however of the process is that it makes people much more willing to share their memory, something only the truly desperate did before. Now however, the only slightly desperate can sell memories and then for a portion of the purchase price experience one of the copies of their original memory so that the experience is not wholly lost to them. When he is not supervising his apprentices and the journeymen to whom he has imparted his secrets, Haik – like many alchemists of the city - spends most of his time seeking ways to improve the process. There is some matter between Munir Haik and the widow of his former master, Hamid Bey Kattan, that is source of much and diverse speculation. Some say that the Beyg Kattan maintained a secret affair with Munir, and that she had to kill her husband to cover it up. Others say that the affair began after her husband’s death, when the younger Jann comforted her in her grief. Others say that Munir stole her husband’s discovery and killed him to have it for her own, and that the Beyg even now is plotting a grand revenge upon the younger alchemist. Others say that this is all a bunch of hog’s water. Whatever the case, relations have become frostier of late, and her former friend is no longer found in her salons.

Shifa Fawziya Haik (“Shifa Haik”): Shifa Haik is the wife of Munir Haik, and his most able assistant. Indeed, some say that the shy, demure Jann is more gifted than the Master, and that it is she that now does most of the advanced – and darker - research, leaving her husband to conduct the daily affairs of business. Shifa is by fashionable Jann standards one of the more desirable women of the city, petite but curvaceous, large almond shaped eyes the color of night just before dawn, small nosed and eternally youthful, lips like darkened bronze, with skin the color of fresh cream and hair as black as a raven’s wing. She wears diaphanous veils in public, and usually in private also, and favors simple white dresses and pearls – which she can afford in quantity with her families wealth. It is presumed, as with most alchemists of the city, that her perfect skin has been marked by many tattoos, but as she is fastidious about her modesty no one but her husband can speak to the truth of that. She is however a fiercely intelligent and bookish female, skilled in all matters arcane, and conversant in all particulars of philosophy and the practical arts. She avoids fashionable crowds, and prefers in fact to spend her time studying alchemy. Everyone remarks how well suited Munir and Shifa are as a couple, though getting them both in public and away from their work can be a chore. Likewise, among the alchemists Shifa is renowned for being able to maintain her appearance of vigor, and there is no small amount of envy in this because the art of alchemy is often wearing on the health, particularly if one has to draw much of their own blood to obtain the otherwise hard to obtain necessary fresh humors. Those who know her best though, say that a shadow has past over her beauty, staining her laugh and her countenance in some subtle way. Shifa and Munir have one very young child, a girl named Saniyah.

Mash'al Nsfifrit (“Mash’al the Publican”): Mash’al is an unusual fire genasi of apparent elvish heritage. He has soot black skin, and flame red hair. Two of his lower teeth protrude upward and slightly outward, and his arms and chest are marked with glowing flame colored tattoos. His ears are large and leaf shaped and his chin, eyes, and nose of an elvish look. He is not tall, but well muscled and dresses in black and reds with embroidered fire motifs. Mash’al is a very hard worker with an intense focus, manic energy, and a one track mind. He ran a public house of low regard in a little esteemed portion of the city, catering mostly to common laborers in trades involving fire – and he became well regarded as a brewer and distiller of such beverages as appealed to such persons. By a stroke of good fortune however, The House of Mash’al found itself quite unexpectedly the beneficiary of gentrification that made his property among the most fashionable and desirable in the city. He was soon able to expand operations to include an inn, and has over the last two hundred years become the preferred resort for strangers to the city who lack introductions. Even Dao merchants and such fire creatures such as Azer that the Emir suffers to enter the city do not now decline his elegant accommodations. Any clueless and seemingly lost visitor that asks for the best inn in the city is likely to be directed to the House of Mash’al, either as an honest answer or to make a fool of the fool. Mash’al has made a habit of freeing his favorite slave and marrying her, but owing to his longevity he has outlived each one. He is now on his eighth wife, a plump slightly ugly human woman named Lubna who bakes fragrant herbed breads and spicy grilled meats, and has a staff largely composed of various offspring that have lacked the initiative to run away. Mash’al has a reputation to maintain, and prefers not to serve mortal customers or anyone that might offend his more noble guests. Mere humans or other rabble are directed to the nearby hostel and tavern of one of his favored sons Milond, a house of much less repute and elegance that still serves the common laborers who were Mash’al former trade. Those that don’t take the hint are charged at least triple his already exorbitant rates, and more if they appear they might be sympathetic to the water parties. Countriwise, to seek accommodations in the House of Mash’al is to tacitly admit to being of the fire or earth parties, and so will likely give a bad first impression members of the air, water, or neutral parties.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
*Celebrim just discovered how massive the power inflation is on Genie in 5e*

Ok then.

I have no idea how to even hint at NPC stats given that Djinn are now 14HD and Efreeti are now 15HD. If Jann follow the same scale, then a base Jann has 12HD instead of 6HD and I have no idea what Sheik Salib (who was in 3e terms 24HD and BAB +20) should be. Likewise, I had suggested a total of 21HD for Ibn Natn, but that's was on the assumption a standard Great Ghul genie was 4HD.

I really hate when the relative assumptions of power get changed that radically. I was scaling the environment to a 11th level party, and now I find that a single Efreet is 11 Challenge Rating and even the ordinary Jann of the city are about as powerful as 11th level characters.

Ah, no sweat. :) I'll figure out the rules side of things as needed for my game; I'm conversant enough in the various editions to roughly translate between them. Your 3e notations are perfectly understandable to me.

For the record, your accounting is right in terms of HD (a jann would have roughly 12d8+60 hit points, and that's how we converted it initially). However, that doesn't equate to being as powerful as an 11th or 12th level character in 5e. The 12 HD stat blocks I'm using work out to a CR of 4 – meaning one should be a medium challenge for a 'standard' 4th level party (i.e. four PCs). For whatever that's worth.

To me the ideas and story are where the gold is!

Celebrim

Legend
To me the ideas and story are where the gold is!

Well, it would help if you let me know where I should be going with the social status of the NPCs. I've been trying to leave the very upper crust of society to you and focusing mostly on the 2%ers (except obviously the Sheik), but if you want more of a slice of street life or more thuggish villains I can go that way as well.

On that note, and example of branching out in a new direction:

Rafi Adel Ibn-Baz (“Rafi Baz”, “Tip Top”): Rafi “Tip Top” Ibn-Baz is in theory a sometime student from a reputable family who gets occasional work as a scribe, clerk, or computer to pay the fees of his tutors. In practice, “Tip Top” is the leader (Jann Rog3/Rng3) of an irregular militia called The Chimney Sweeps that favors the Emir, the Emir’s allies, the Great Caliph of the Djinn and in general the traditional politics of the city. Slightly older than his fellows, the young Jann cuts a dashing figure with bronze skin, straw colored hair, and a matching Van Dyke beard. He wears sand colored clothing and a veil of the style favored by nomads, a small neat turban, and on cool nights a buff coat of deer skin he purchased from a human merchant. He is charismatic and charming, and adopts the mannerisms of a rake in public, while able to be intellectual and refined in private. His followers include a dozen other young Jann of both genders, and two dozen mixed air genasi, smoke genasi, ice genasi, and humans (Rog3-Rog6). In order to gain membership in the Chimney Sweeps, it is necessary to demonstrate either the ability to fly or complete fearlessness at heights and mastery of climbing. Indeed, several of the Chimney Sweeps have vowed never again to touch the streets or the ground, and travel only by flying or running across the roof tops. All the Chimney sweeps consequently have the following advantages – they can move at full speed while climbing, balancing, or on sloping surfaces without penalty, they gain a +1 bonus to AC when on a different elevation than their attacker, and they have resistance to falling damage. They are always proficient in Athletics and Acrobatics. Rafi is a romantic and a daydreamer, and slightly delusional. In his own mind, his actions are not illegal, petty or immoral, but rather the direct continuation of the great resistance fighters that helped liberate Qaybar of old, and that the violence his band undertakes and the surveillance that they engage in are helping to keep the city free from its enemies. So great is his charisma and oratory skill, that all his gang believes it, and would – if it came to it - give their lives for the imagined cause or in service to the Emir, which they believe they are performing. Mostly this service consists of skulking about and trespassing on rooftops and observing rival gangs, or known leaders of opposing political parties. Occasionally they harass opponents by throwing bits of roofing tile or broken pottery, or swarming down to deliver a buffeting – sometimes with clubs. In serious confrontations, they can equip themselves with bows and daggers, but such overt bloodshed draws too much attention and is seldom undertaken save when tempers are high on all sides. The symbol of the gang is dandylion thistle or other downy seed, which is pinned to ones clothing, or drawn in chalk to mark the gang’s territory.
Aside from their vigilante actions, most of the gang are able to find occasional work, including not ironically as chimney sweeps (at least, for the non-Jann, as the Jann themselves would never engage in such a plebian trade), and they hire out as messengers or couriers from time to time. Unbeknownst to Rafi, several members of the gang have ties to The Coiled Madam, and though they would not consciously betray the gang, they do pass information to her concerning what they have observed. The Chimney Sweeps are experts in shape the Smoke Medina, and though they do not go into its lower reaches, they are from its roofs able to observe its mythic tangling and the places which fade off the map and reappear. It’s possible that a party lost in the Smoke Medina would attract the attention of Rafi or other members of the Chimney Sweeps, who might rescue them by lowering down a rope. They also mark but never enter the passages that lead to the Charnel Quarter, but could - if they were inclined - direct someone how to enter (a service few others in the city could perform, and most others that could are of a far shadier demeanor).

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
EDIT: Btw, you mention that Wazir Al-Saqui is a "Noble Quarashi"...what's a quarashi? Is it a race you've created? It seems to be an "ice genie"?

Well, it would help if you let me know where I should be going with the social status of the NPCs. I've been trying to leave the very upper crust of society to you and focusing mostly on the 2%ers (except obviously the Sheik), but if you want more of a slice of street life or more thuggish villains I can go that way as well.

It would be interesting to take a look at a janni vizier (in AD&D they had very high Intelligence and could cast augury, detect magic, and divination 3/day each), and see what their role in the society looks like as far as predicting planeshifts and the logistics around polymorphic buildings. This vizier may also have played a role in locating Sa'id al-Masar (see below).

A barber/merchant/information broker might be an interesting sort of NPC as well, on the more street life side.

Either of these might or might not overlap with an NPC information broker running a bathhouse.

And a talking animal NPC would be very apropos, whether a creature awakened by a janni druid, given ongoing sentience by the strange magic of Qaybar itself, or a victim of a polymorph spell/curse.

---------

My notes on the very upper crust are sketchy, but include these 4 inspired by NPCs mentioned in Blood & Fire. Feel free to detail any of them that speak to you. I'm focusing myself on the city districts/locations, but am thoroughly enjoying your process of creating NPCs.

Malik Jilani – (Janni, ?) An iron-willed but respected military ruler en abstentia who seeks the missing Emir and would willingly abdicate power if he could.

Emir Jazzar Shahid ibn-Mahmud – (Janni "Sheikh") A young jann descended from the line of Emirs who originally won Qaybar's independence, Jazzar was forced to flee to the Prime Material Plane during Qaybar's latest time on the Plane of Fire when Al Zahran, a puppet ruler of the efreet, maneuvered his way to power. Jazzar is the last jann of royal blood known to be alive, the rest assassinated by Al Zahran's secret police.

Sa'id al-Masar – (Janni Vizier, Wiz6 or Sorc6) Vizier to the Emir, he fled into exile with the young Jazzar. However, they were separated and Sa'id is a guest/prisoner of splinter group of jann in the oasis of Khaldun (PCs will likely be seeking him out to find out where Emir Jazzar is).

Leader of the Zahranis – (Janni?, ?) A group of efreet-sympathizers who yearn for the "halycon days" of rule by flame and steel, the Zahranis fled Qaybar with the death of Al Zahran during the uprising that coincided with the city's planeshift to the Prime Material Plane. Only a small group remain hidden in Qaybar's budayeen (red light district), the rest returning to their efreet masters on the Plane of Fire or scattering across the desert as raiders. Those that remain behind operate like a terrorist cell led by a mysterious individual...who takes great pains to keep his or her identity secret. Very likely he/she/it was part of Al Zahran's secret police before the uprising. I may give this individual some loose ties to the Brotherhood of True Flame as well.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Locations by District (so far...)

Al-Badia’s Gate
Caravanserai (Caravaneer’s Guild)

Bazaar
Bey Suleijan’s Estate
Musalla of the Great Caliph
Smoke Medina
The Souk
# Teahouse

Beast Towers
The Rookery

Budayeen
The Coiled Madam’s
Temple of Kossuth
Zahranis’ Hideout

College Quarter
Alchemist’s Guild
Arcanium of Jafar al-Samal
College of Cartography
Mosque of the Great Gods
Plaza of the Vanquished Flame

Charnel Quarter
Ibn Natn’s “Court”

Court of Shedus
Bathhouse of #
Beyg Kattan’s Estate
The Haik’s Estate
Plaza of the Vanquished Flame
Racetrack

Crafters Quarter
Ayah Samaha’s Glassworks
Kawaja Deeb’s Clayworks
Royally Chartered & Sacred Alliance of Brick Makers
Temple of Grumbar
The Tourmaline Tower

The Eternal Deluge
Garden of Steams
Sheikh Salib’s Palace
Temple of Ishtishia

Floating Gardens
Gamali Al-Zuhur’s Greenhouse Labyrinth
Temple of Akadi
Tree of Life

Garrison
Aswaran Stables
Jundaran Barracks
Malik Jilani’s Estate
Temple of Vataqatal
Well of the Washed Wound

Jarmik’s Gate
Hall of Chests
House of Mash’al
Mosque of the Thirsty Jann

Odiferous Trades
Khalil al-Marbi’s Estate
Smokehouse

Palace
Emir’s Palace
Royal Stables

Residential

Scribes' Quarter
The Baz Estate

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
EDIT: Btw, you mention that Wazir Al-Saqui is a "Noble Quarashi"...what's a quarashi? Is it a race you've created? It seems to be an "ice genie"?

It is indeed an ice genie, but unlike the mud genie, I cannot take credit for it. To my knowledge they first appeared as part of an article on the WotC website, and were later incorporated into several published works including at least one adventure and I believe the monster section of Frostburn. It appears, now they I look around the web, that I may be misspelling them and that the proper spelling is "Qorrashi" or "Qorrash". In any event, the 3rd edition stats should not be too hard to come by. If they prove to be, I have them somewhere.

On the question of the Jann Vizier, I am not entirely sure which sort of division or graduation into ranks you intend to use. In 1e AD&D as you may know, the Jann had three classes of exalted leaders, the Sheiks and Emirs with greater HD, and the Viziers with additional spellcasting ability. In later editions, those three divisions tend to get lumped together in various ways, with Sheiks sometimes playing the part of both greater HD and additional spellcasting ability. In any event, Sheik Salib is meant to be a Sheik, whereas Bey Suliejan is meant to have the powers of a Vizier. Beyg Kattan on the other hand, having her position through marriage, was not intended to be a Vizier, but certainly could be. While I'm on the subject of rank, I've been using quasi-Arabic naming conventions and diverse middle-eastern ranks as if they were part of the same feudal culture in true D&D fashion. I'm pretty sure though that in actual middle-eastern practice, the honorific follows after the last name rather than before it. So Nabil Bey Suilijen should properly be Nabil Suliejan Bey. My thinking is that most English hearers are going to find the proper mode of address confusing, and so I'm actually placing it according to my homebrew's fashion modifying the last name just before the last name, so that the short form of address becomes "Bey Suilijen" (Sir Suleijin or perhaps Squire Suleijin). Alter that to be more appropriate "cultural appropriation" "Suilijen Bey" if you prefer.

On a related subject, I'm not entirely sure how 5e deals with NPC classed individuals. Virtually every character I've not given a combat hint to is intended to function as a low level Expert on top their usual crafting ability as a Jann, since these are leaders in their respective trades and functionally some of the most skilled crafters on the Prime Material Plane. 5e doesn't seem to have much granularity when it comes to skills, and certainly seems to consider the skills of NPCs to be something not worth commenting on. I presume that you just call out particular Jann as having proficiency in certain skills/tool use, and certain proficiency bonuses without necessarily increasing HD? Intrigue and overcoming it doesn't seem to be much of a 5e thing as of yet.

And a talking animal NPC would be very apropos, whether a creature awakened by a janni druid, given ongoing sentience by the strange magic of Qaybar itself, or a victim of a polymorph spell/curse.

You are a man after my own heart. I'm personally a huge fan of fairy tale NPCs, but some people find them off-putting. I'll come up with something, and I'll probably have to drop my pet NPC Jasper into Qaybar as it is definitely his sort of town and could not paaaawwssibly stay away from anywhere sooo very fashionable and interesting.

I think I'll not touch your power brokers directly and leave the Malik and other concepts to you, but if that's as far as you've got I'll spend some time thinking about who other than Sheik Salib has real power and not merely wealth or influence.

I'm seriously going to need to put this down at some point and go back to planning my own campaign, but as I said, I've always had a weakness for the Jann and now I have to settle in my head what sort of city they might have.

Last edited:

Remove ads