Player vs Player PC death

If you’re a heal-bot, perhaps all you need is one ally to stand by your side, and you can just healbot away while they do the fighting.

But one question I have is whether you’re okay with another PC trying to kill your character just so they can get into a prestige class? If not, I’d say there’s nothing wrong with telling the DM and/or the rest of the group “hey, I’m not cool with the direction this campaign is taking.”

If you’re a heal-bot, perhaps all you need is one ally to stand by your side, and you can just healbot away while they do the fighting.

But one question I have is whether you’re okay with another PC trying to kill your character just so they can get into a prestige class? If not, I’d say there’s nothing wrong with telling the DM and/or the rest of the group “hey, I’m not cool with the direction this campaign is taking.”
Yes, if I can get one or two of my team members to side with the cleric, then the fight tips in my favor. Unfortunately, I suspect the clash will end up being 1 on 1.

As for my feelings about it- I don't like PvP in most rpgs, let alone D&D, but I can see how it would make a good villain story to be the betrayer of the party. It also will allow the party to decide if they want to switch to a more evil campaign style, and I'm all for player freedom.

However, the player running the fighter did not address this possible course of action with me when he decided that the most acceptable way to shift alignment would be to kill my character, so I am determined to A. Show him and the party that maybe the pen is mightier than the sword by having my scholar-cleric incapacitate the fighter or B. Come back from the loss of the cleric with a character that can do to his knight what he did to my cleric.

(And Death Knight is a creature template, fyi.)

Mad_Jack

Legend
Have you considered just asking the DM to write in an NPC to join your party for a while, so the fighter can kill them instead?

Because if you kill the fighter, or he kills you and then you bring in another character (who shouldn't have any in-game reason to want to literally murder the fighter five minutes after meeting him) specifically designed to kill the character he just put so much effort into getting into a prestige class, this is just going to start an arms race... Sooner or later either one of you gets pissed off and quits the game or it turns into that old Spy vs Spy cartoon from MAD Magazine.

Anyway, if this guy's built a machine gun tripper, all you need to do is stay out of his reach until you can take his chain away... That invalidates his main trick, and at level 7 or so his build is so feat intensive that he really can't do much else other than just grab another weapon - assuming he has a back-up weapon - and try to move in to melee range...
Cast a couple of summons, Shatter his chain, run like hell, hit him with ranged spells.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
Because if you kill the fighter, or he kills you and then you bring in another character (who shouldn't have any in-game reason to want to literally murder the fighter five minutes after meeting him) specifically designed to kill the character he just put so much effort into getting into a prestige class, this is just going to start an arms race... Sooner or later either one of you gets pissed off and quits the game or it turns into that old Spy vs Spy cartoon from MAD Magazine.

1. A good aligned cleric or paladin (from the healbot's order?) would have cause.
2. It need not be designed specifically to kill his; being a prepared spellcaster would be enough.
3. No need to kill when you have Geas.

S

Sunseeker

1. A good aligned cleric or paladin (from the healbot's order?) would have cause.
2. It need not be designed specifically to kill his; being a prepared spellcaster would be enough.
3. No need to kill when you have Geas.

This was the first thing that came to mind.

death-sticks-2.jpg

Cast 6th level spells. Irresistible Spell, Divine Metamagic, DO AS I COMMAND!

Last edited:

Update to the situation. The fighter has willingly accepted a ritual that completely corrupted him and turned him into a death knight. The level 8 cleric has been risen to Saint status (from the Book of Exalted Cheese.)

I have almost all my spells left, 4 turn undead attempts (that he's immune to, but might be useful if he summons undead minions somehow) and a party that will get slaughtered if he can trip any of them.

The last session ended with me healing the ranger while the death knight stood on a ledge off to the side and received orders from his boss to kill the cleric. (I deliberately maneuvered so he would be unable to charge on the first round.)

My current plan of action is to bless the ranger's arrows to start, then target dispel his weapons and armor, followed by a shatter spell to disarm him. After that, I'm kinda confident that my Saint's aura, DR, fast healing, and damage on contact to evil and undead can turn the battle.

Hold person is no longer an option, as he's immune.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my 404SC using EN World mobile app

Remove ads