Protection vs Scrying/Teleportation

Trellian

Explorer
The group I'm currently playing in have been bothered by some villains scrying on us, and teleporting into our house when it suits them. We know they have a Mirror of Mental Prowess, and that one of them is a Shade with the Shade Travel quality.

The problem is that we're getting kinda tired of this, and so are planning on putting up some defenses on our house. It is a two-story large house we received as a reward some adventures back.

We was thinking in the lines of non-detection or maybe mind blank spells. Guards & Wards maybe?

The problem is, I haven't seen a technical rule that says that buildings can be protected from said scrying and incoming teleportation, but I think it may be plausible. The palace in Suzail or Waterdeep for example should be protected from such things, so a resouceful adventuring group should also be able to get such protection?

Any suggestions?

dcollins

Explorer
Look at the following spells: Forbiddance, Nondetection, Detect Scrying, False Vision, and Screen. Especially the first.

Psifon

First Post
Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum will render a room scry-proof and it can be made permanent. There is also a wizard spell that allows you to block teleport, but I forget the name. The sanctum spell is in tome and blood.

Bungus

First Post
The group I'm currently playing in have been bothered by some villains scrying on us, and teleporting into our house when it suits them. We know they have a Mirror of Mental Prowess, and that one of them is a Shade with the Shade Travel quality.

The problem is that we're getting kinda tired of this, and so are planning on putting up some defenses on our house. It is a two-story large house we received as a reward some adventures back.

We was thinking in the lines of non-detection or maybe mind blank spells. Guards & Wards maybe?

The problem is, I haven't seen a technical rule that says that buildings can be protected from said scrying and incoming teleportation, but I think it may be plausible. The palace in Suzail or Waterdeep for example should be protected from such things, so a resouceful adventuring group should also be able to get such protection?

Any suggestions?

Spell Compendium has the "Anticipate Teleport" spell and the Greater version. The first spell lasts hours per level and will give you a 1 round warning of incoming teleporters, including their exact location. The Greater version gives you a 3 round warning...

There is also the psionic ability to Divert Teleport, and also Baleful Teleport.

starwed

First Post
Simple, non-magical lead sheeting will block any (Scrying) spell, which would extend to the clairvoyance ability of the mirror. (You can find this rule under the explanation of the Scrying subschool.)

Since the mirror requires you to view an area before teleporting to it, this would block that aspect as well.

rgard

Adventurer
Now this is some thread necromancy. Seven years?

Yep and calls for a tale from the halcyon days of 1e!

Our high level party had a castle and we were busy cleaning out the monsters from the surrounding area.

Our treasure room in the castle was burgled a couple of times and despite our best divination attempts we couldn't figure out who was ripping us off.

So we removed the treasure from the treasure room and filled it with iron and wood pole from wall to wall and floor to ceiling leaving about a 5" to 1' gap between each pole. We then cast a permanent image/illusion on the room making it look like the original room filled with treasure sans the poles.

Occasionally we would hear a scream from the treasure room and would check each morning to see what magic-user managed to teleport in and materialize with a pole or poles in him/her. We even found a pair of bloody feet in boots directly below one of poles that ran parallel to the floor about 5" off the floor and assumed the MU had to cut his own feet off in order to escape.

Yes, the DM was a good sport about not nerfing our trap.

Thanks,
Rich

Remove ads