Portals between Sigil and the Outlands

Got myself In the Cage: A Guide to Sigil recently. There is a map showing the commonly known permanent portals in Sigil, which is cool, since I was hoping for something like that.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be portals that really must exist for the society as described to function. By that I mean portals with well-known locations and keys to some accessible place on the Outlands, if not to most of the Gate-towns.

See the thing is, the impression is given that:

A) Sigil has a lot of merchant caravans coming and going
B) The Outlands is about the easiest place to get to from Sigil

That being the case, and with the amount of trade that supposedly comes in and out of town, people are going to be popping in and out of these portals every few minutes. This means that:

1) It would be trivially easy to discover their locations
2) It would be trivially easy to learn what their keys are (someone will give you a straight answer if you ask everyone going in for a couple of hours, assuming it isn't obvious just by watching)
3) They aren't going to be in the broken mirror frame of a forgotten dusty cellar--things would be built around these portals, inns, markets, etc

The Outland ends of the portals would have similar considerations to them.

So have I just thought about something the writers for the setting never thought of (or got around to), or is there a product that has these gates in them?

Note: I play pre-Faction War, so the flurry of portals or whatever is of no matter

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Maybe the writers left it open for DMs to add in their own gate towns for trade between Sigil and Outland or maybe you're right and they just didn't think of it.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I don't think it would be all that useful for portals to lead directly to the Outlands. To specific Gate-Towns to get you to the plane you need stuff from, yes.

Of course. Gate-towns are on the Outlands, and these well-known portals that exist should probably be in or near the gate-towns (most likely in, because otherwise towns would have grown up around them anyway).

I just think it is really weird that Cagers talk about the Outlands as "Out of town" and consider it the closest most accessible place to home...but then the portals aren't on the list of well-known portals, which is frankly absurd.

Does anyone have a general list of published portals? I tried searching online, but the best I could find were are pretty limited one that was hard to navigate, and then some notes that a fan going by Lissandra was working on such a list a decade or more ago (apparently it never got completed, or I just can't find it).

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I think the general idea is that there are portals at "midpoints" on the Outlands, close enough to the gate-towns for caravans, but still some distance from the spire. Of course, there may also be portals that lead directly to regular towns on the Outlands.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Every one of the Gate-towns has a known, permanent portal to Sigil with a known gate key. They're all described (along with their respective gate town) in 'The Player's Primer to the Outlands'

This website lists them in brief here.

Every one of the Gate-towns has a known, permanent portal to Sigil with a known gate key. They're all described (along with their respective gate town) in 'The Player's Primer to the Outlands'

This website lists them in brief here.

I took a look through that book, but the only portal to Sigil I could find was a reference on a map of Ribcage. Other than that, the book and that webpage only listed the portal to their adjacent plane, not a portal to Sigil. Did I miss a chart somewhere?

Update:

I picked up some more products, and finished reading through them. Based on information in the Factol's Manifesto, it sounds like portals between Sigil and the Gate-towns are very common. They list only a few examples, but I get the impression they probably are supposed to be the most common destinations of portals from Sigil. It's still pretty much DIY on where to place them, but that does confirm my general thoughts that these things shouldn't be hard to find. I couldn't find any in Player's Primer to the Outlands. For some reason I couldn't even find that one on the Ribcage map I thought I saw when I looked through it. I wondered if perhaps the pdf I bought at drivethrurpg was missing something (that has happened on more than one occasion) but I couldn't find another scan with that a missing map or picture.

Wait...that means...

Sigil's portals to the Gate-towns are disappearing!

Who's to blame, and why? Is this the Lady's doing, and if not, who else has the power to pull it off?

I think I might go with something like there being some well known and fairly convenient portals (the Great Bazaar probably has more than its share) that probably have rather expensive keys (so merchants use them, but PCs might not be able to just walk up and go through one); and then there are a lot of other portals with cheap keys, but they are harder to find, shifting, etc. Basically, you need the equivalent of a bus schedule to use these. Locals are probably pretty good with them, but out of towners might need some help finding the right portal at the right time.

If anyone knows where I saw that portal from Ribcage to Sigil, please let me know. It vexes me.

Remove ads