• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Shadow Player Race

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
An intriguing concept.

The Shadow leans into an Evil direction, even if not through malice, but simply by the nature of its hunger. The best that it might manage, alignment-wise, appears to be Chaotic Neutral. That might make it difficult to be accepted by other adventurers. It would be smart to discuss playing such a character with your group before going forward with it to determine what scenarios would allow it to be included.

If the intent is to create a monstrous group, otoh, this race would be a good fit. Also, you might want to work up its typical/average starting ability scores, average damage from hits, etc., for those DMs who might like to use this as a monster NPC in their games.

5e doesn't really go in for negative Ability Score adjustments, so you may want to change the starting ASI to a choice between +2 Strength or +2 Dexterity instead of imposing a downside to other ability scores.

Speed, Darkvision, Shadow Stealth, Amorphous, Otherworldy Possessions, Shadow Equipment, Damage Vulnerabilities, and Sunlight Sensitivity: all of these make sense given the origins of the shadow, as do the Undead and Shadow features.

Strength Drain is what I find OP. That much of an ability drain without getting a saving throw is just too unbalanced. Options: change the ability drain to simply losing 1 point of Strength with each hit, no saving throw allowed; or keep the loss of 1d4 points of Strength per hit, but include a Constitution saving throw vs. a DC equal to 8 + half the Shadow's character level. A successful save cuts the loss by half (to a minimum of 1 Strength point).

Keep the rest of the feature's description regarding the effects of Strength reduced to 0 and regaining Strength points. Minor edit: "forth" s/b "fourth".

I also like your take on Languages. That should lead to some interesting role playing.

Aside from other minor edits such as missing the space between words in some places, I kind of like this.

animal chubs

First Post
I use open office and for some reason it decides it doesn't want spaces between some words. I also agree completely with the Strength Drain, Its very much an ability. I like your Idea on the Saving throw so I might just go with that.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
My own most common typo may well be the word "ithe". That's from when my thoughts are going faster than my fingers can keep up, and is an unintended contraction of the words "in the".

You need to adjust the language of this race concept. It's not a monster's stat block, man. Don't write it like one. Write it like a racial text entry in the PHB. Also, as a personal recommendation, I think the Strength-Draining Strike should be a number of times per long rest equal to the Shadow's Charisma Modifier (Kind of as a throwback to the 3.5 Shadow). Also, if you intend on this being balanced, this race is going to need a whole lot more than just ability score decreases. Give it back the Sunlight Powerlessness and take away their ability to use armors and weapons. Though you should either give them a Natural Armor bonus, or something similar.

Last edited:

animal chubs

First Post
You need to adjust the language of this race concept. It's not a monster's stat block, man. Don't write it like one. Write it like a racial text entry in the PHB. Also, as a personal recommendation, I think the Strength-Draining Strike should be a number of times per long rest equal to the Shadow's Charisma Modifier (Kind of as a throwback to the 3.5 Shadow). Also, if you intend on this being balanced, this race is going to need a whole lot more than just ability score decreases. Give it back the Sunlight Powerlessness and take away their ability to use armors and weapons. Though you should either give them a Natural Armor bonus, or something similar.

I more or less followed this https://www.scribd.com/document/319798179/Dark-Arts-Player-s-Companion-Complete and adjusting the language how?

Remove ads