D&D 5E Tabaxi (Vgtm) as five subraces

Lanliss

Explorer
So, Tabaxi in my world will be represented similar to the Warriors cats, if you know what that is. 5 clans, each with telling differences.

My (quick and dirty) thoughts

Wind clan (Base tabaxi)

Thunder clan: Advantage on persuasion, and saving throws to resist the Frightened condition (replaces Feline agility)

Water clan: swim speed of double your normal speed. (Replaces feline Agility

Shadow clan: Ignore disadvantage on Stealth checks, resistance to poison. (Replaces Feline agility)

Sky clan: jump distance and hight is double the normal for your strength. (Replaces feline agility)

These are a rough draft. what do you think, balance wise? Are they equal to each other?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Not quite clear what "ignore disadvantage on Stealth checks" means. Just disadvantage due to armor?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
They are all still felinoids, right? I don't understand why any of them would be replacing their feline agility...it's kinda their thing.

Adding abilities to homebrewed subraces is all well and good. And swapping something out is prudent. I just don't know/think that is the thing to remove.

Lanliss

Explorer
They are all still felinoids, right? I don't understand why any of them would be replacing their feline agility...it's kinda their thing.

Adding abilities to homebrewed subraces is all well and good. And swapping something out is prudent. I just don't know/think that is the thing to remove.

It is to obtain the flavor of the different clans from the books. The wind clan are the ones that are known for being fast, so that makes sense for them. The water clan are self explanatory, they like water. Thunder clan is kind of the Gryffindor of the clans, so just about everyone is brave. Shadow is the stealthy clan. Sky clan is pretty much known for their jumping.

I suppose I could leave the feline agility for all of them, but give the Wind clan more uses, or no penalty.
[MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION] that was just a thought off the top of my head. I mean any possible source of disadvantage, within reason. It would be down to a case by case basis, but if something that heavily affected their body would result in disadvantage I would rule that as an exception. Other than that, they would roll normal in cases where they normally have disadvantage on stealth.

Remove ads