D&D 4E Building a team for a 4e pvp game

Well, here are 2 acid tests you can pvp against to see just how effective your team is. Play a test against a team made up of nothing but bow rangers. Its likely to be the gawd awfullest thing you'll ever face in terms of finding just how tough you REALLY are. Another acid test will be a team of all Shamans (really, try it, this is sick). Its a bit trickier to get the synergy exactly right with the shamans, but you can. Its especially fun if you have a couple of them pick Fey Beast Tamer for stupid numbers of blockers. Definitely depends on the levels you're fighting at though, once you get into high paragon there's a lot of weird tricks that are likely to be on the table.

Jessica

First Post
Well, here are 2 acid tests you can pvp against to see just how effective your team is. Play a test against a team made up of nothing but bow rangers. Its likely to be the gawd awfullest thing you'll ever face in terms of finding just how tough you REALLY are. Another acid test will be a team of all Shamans (really, try it, this is sick). Its a bit trickier to get the synergy exactly right with the shamans, but you can. Its especially fun if you have a couple of them pick Fey Beast Tamer for stupid numbers of blockers. Definitely depends on the levels you're fighting at though, once you get into high paragon there's a lot of weird tricks that are likely to be on the table.

It's something I might have to try out. I did do some matches today and my three level 2s got stomped by a level 6 melee Ranger. However then I turned around and won three matches in a row after that with two of them being my team vs two level 3s and the final one being my team versus three level 3s. I need to come up with a defender to synergize with my team.

I'm pretty durable for my level and I do decent damage but I feel like but my options for peeling off my Ranger are pretty poor(Vampire Slam mostly). I need control and I DEFINITELY need a defender. My future controller is going to be a Psion because blunting novas is important for survivability. However I'm not sure what defender I want. I just earned enough points from my matches to buy a level 1.

Zeuel's Legion:
Zeuel (level 2 Human Vampire)
Unit 9 (level 2 Warforged Artificer)
Theirastra (level 2 Revenant Ranger)

I'd go for a high damage output defender, like maybe a classic axe dwarf fighter with Mighty Challenge (I guess that's what it is called, the one that gives you +WIS to your CS/CC attack). Put them between a real rock and a hard place. Its one thing with monsters where any one specific attack may not be that astounding, you can burn it on the fighter and just chalk it up to attrition, but in these PvPs ignoring is BAD (because you end up with basically a free striker that is still sticky) and obeying the mark is of course also bad (especially if the main strikers are real glass canons). For low level I really like the Battle Standard of Healing too, its worth a standard from your leader to plant it, though it isn't always tactically advantageous. Still, its a very nice boost, and really shows its utility over a full adventuring day.

Jhaelen

First Post
For low level I really like the Battle Standard of Healing too, its worth a standard from your leader to plant it
My group used to joke that this Standard was the most important character in their group. In their first (long) adventure, it was often the only thing that prevented a TPK.

It was a rather dyfunctional party, though. They had three leaders, one striker, one controller, and one defender.

My group used to joke that this Standard was the most important character in their group. In their first (long) adventure, it was often the only thing that prevented a TPK.

It was a rather dyfunctional party, though. They had three leaders, one striker, one controller, and one defender.

lol, yeah. The party in my first campaign was a bit more balanced than that, IIRC it was a STR cleric, a dwarf fighter, a starlock, a rogue, and a wizard. It still saved their butts many times. Even if you never plant the thing in combat, just planting it before a short rest is a rather significant boon, it adds a point to EVERY heal, even just spending an HS. Adds up to a lot of HP pretty quickly.

Remove ads