D&D 5E Throwing Weapons is Cool! So why is it weak?

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
Alright, with a title like this, you may think I have the answer to this question: I do not, it is actually an honest to god question.
Why is there no feat or subclass that allows a player to consistently use thrown weapons? They are even more underpowered than TWF is (although many argue with the fact that TWF isn't underpowered in the first place, and I am neither a veteran player/DM or a number cruncher, so who am I to argue?)

What would a feat that helped weapon throwers look like?

What is so "broken" about thrown weapons that they had to be nerfed into (under) the ground and are so not in the meta nobody even mentions them most of the time? (Not saying nerfed respective to previous editions, just designed weakly)

Anyone that has answers to these questions will have my gratitude:D

Corwin

Explorer
I've been seriously considering a house rule (I hear its actually not uncommon) to allow thrown weapons to be drawn as part of the attack. Just like ammunition.

The Old Crow

Explorer
I would simply allow thrown weapons to be drawn and thrown without requiring object interaction. Face it, the "ammo" property for bows doesn't make any sense as an exception to the action economy. The rules should be consistent. Drawing arrows should require object interaction, or throwing weapons should be drawn for free.

They aren't specifically "nerfed into the ground" or anything like that. There are feats that support that support them such as the two-weapon fighting one, and several parts of other feats.

Generally Throwing weapons are going to be a backup option simply because the number of them that you'd have to carry around if it was your primary option makes it a bit hard to conceptualise.
They're actually a pretty good ranged option for strength builds: many builds will assume that a str-based paladin or Fighter is going to be carrying javelins around specifically to throw.

Oofta

Legend
I've been seriously considering a house rule (I hear its actually not uncommon) to allow thrown weapons to be drawn as part of the attack. Just like ammunition.

You can draw one weapon for free, if you take dual wielder you can draw two. So until/unless you have three attacks per round it works.

Personally, I allow people to draw and throw as many as they can ... if I was really concerned about it I might limit it to small weapons like daggers.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
They aren't specifically "nerfed into the ground" or anything like that. There are feats that support that support them such as the two-weapon fighting one, and several parts of other feats.

Generally Throwing weapons are going to be a backup option simply because the number of them that you'd have to carry around if it was your primary option makes it a bit hard to conceptualise.
They're actually a pretty good ranged option for strength builds: many builds will assume that a str-based paladin or Fighter is going to be carrying javelins around specifically to throw.

Nah, they still suck. It's the ranges. Essentially, a javelin's short range is the same distance easily closable by a melee opponent, meaning they're useful only if you'd rather make a single thrown attack of prof+DEX, usually a weak stat for those resorting to thrown weapons, rather than finish closing to the target. Other thrown weapons are worse (20 ft short range). Heck, daggers' long range is a single move + dash for just about everything.

So, to the OP a feat that improves thrown weapons:

1) the thrower can draw a thrown weapon as part of an attack.
2) the thrower doubles the short range of the weapon when making an attack (eg, javeline 60' short, daggers 20' short). No change to long range.
3) the thrower can use STR in place of DEX for attack or DEX in place of STR for damage (for all cases where this may not be the case).

There, the standard 3 bits and they make thrown weapons slighter more attractive.

S

Sunseeker

I don't know really. Limiting it to small weapons (1d4 damage) seems reasonable. Perhaps simply adding a "quick" tag to such weapons that allows you to draw as a freebie as many as you can attack with, or something to that end. I made a character based around throwing daggers. It's less optimized than simply using a short bow, or basically, anything else, so I don't see even a 20th fighter being able to throw 5 daggers per round as being particularly game breaking.

Corwin

Explorer
I mean, who *doesn't* want to play Navajas (Danny Trejo's wickedly cool assassin from Desperado)?

2672d1333221648-navajas-danny-trejo-sfx-throwing-knife-desperado_trejo01.jpg

Remove ads