D&D 5E Throwing Weapons is Cool! So why is it weak?

Hillsy7

First Post
Unfortunately, "melee weapon attack" means an attack with a weapon in melee. In the same way that the "ranged weapon attack" components of Sharpshooter feat work with any thrown weapon, but the "attack with a ranged weapon" requirement for the -5 hit +10 damage only works with darts.

Right, so its sort of hyphenated differently...."Melee weapon-attack" not "Melee-Weapon attack"....interesting. Also goes to show how subtle some house-ruling can be...seen a couple of games that let the Barb reckless attack with a thrown axe (largely I think because there's been loads of flying enemies and it keeps said Barbarian from having a strop)

As an aside, why does anyone ever buy a dagger? A dart is ¼ the cost and ¼ the weight but has the same attack, damage, and range.
Daggers are good for stuff other than throwing.

Right, so its sort of hyphenated differently...."Melee weapon-attack" not "Melee-Weapon attack"....interesting. Also goes to show how subtle some house-ruling can be...seen a couple of games that let the Barb reckless attack with a thrown axe (largely I think because there's been loads of flying enemies and it keeps said Barbarian from having a strop)
I personally don't see any issue with letting them do that. Its just worth knowing what the actual rules are before tasking your DM for a house-ruling.

Although barbarians are proficient with Longbows. :)

Remove ads