D&D (2024) The Battle Master Paradigm

Chaosmancer

Legend
I still plant my flag on the hill that WotC should:

1) Get rid of Weapon Mastery
2) Get rid of the Battle Master subclass
3) Make the Battle Master's Maneuvers a base Fighter ability.

But, based on this thread, I think I'll add a 4th suggestion:

Either
4a) Make all Maneuvers available from the start, rather than making the Fighter choose 3, then 2 more at levels 7, 10, & 15
or
4b) Make stronger Maneuvers level-gated so the Fighter isn't picking the best upfront, then adding inferior ones later on.

I still prefer changing Weapon Masteries to tactics that can be applied to weapons, same basic concept, just not limited to only working with one weapon at a time.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Oh, fun stuff along the lines 3.5 Combat Reflexes (someone provokes an OA, when I already used my Reaction, spend my CS die, and OA them anyway! with a bonus from the die), Great Cleave, Whirlwind Attack, Disarm, maybe 4e exploits like Come & Get It, heck, you could put in some maneuvers to give actual defender support, and, really, with the power levels and mechanics of 5e, some save or be decapitated, type stuff might not be beyond the pale....

Kannik

Hero
Weapon swapping is effectively free now. So you can effectively pick your effect
Kinda... you get a free draw or stow per attack. So if you want to totally swap and are wielding a shield or two handed weapon, unless you want to drop your weapon (and here comes the piles of weapons at your feet imagery...) you can't freely swap between each attack.
As for if it's silly or not... I kinda like it.
Hence me noting that's a whole other conversation. :)

Pauln6

Hero
So I suppose the question is, are there any changes to Battlemaster that could be made that would not massively unbalance the subclass? Could higher level battlemasters apply rider effects (not damage) to a second attack in the same turn?

MuhVerisimilitude

Adventurer
So I suppose the question is, are there any changes to Battlemaster that could be made that would not massively unbalance the subclass? Could higher level battlemasters apply rider effects (not damage) to a second attack in the same turn?
If you accept the premise that the fighter as a whole is underpowered (which it is), then you could simply buff every subclass without worrying about upsetting anything.

Remove ads