Homebrew races

dekrass

Explorer
I've made some fantasy races for a homebrew setting, and I thought I'd post them here to get some feedback. I used exploits from races in O.L.D. and N.E.W. where it was convenient. The races are mostly variations on the fantasy standards.

Are any of these under powered, over powered, or too boring? Did I break the game in some way? Feel free to share your thoughts. Any kind of feedback is welcome.

To avoid one huge block of text I'll post each race on its own. I'll post the first few momentarily and then others once I get them in a presentable state.

dekrass

Explorer
Desert Elves
Elves are nomads who can survive, and even thrive, with limited resources. Their homeland is a vast, dry wasteland, and the elven tribes flourish there. Their culture is rooted in honor and tradition, and they value the preservation of knowledge above all else.
Elves are a bit taller and thinner than humans. They have pointed ears and angular features. Elves tend to have tan or brown skin with hair and eyes in shades of brown.

Statistics
Size: medium
Attributes: AGI +2 END +2 WIL +1
Skill Choices: running, survival, bows, swords, [lore].

Exploits
Sleepless. Elves have no need for sleep.
Light Eaters. Elves need half the food and water that other creatures their size do.
Unimpeded. Sylvan Elves are not affected or slowed by difficult terrain.
Long Memory. +1d6 on Logic checks to remember things.

These elves aren't fey because the setting currently has no fey. Humans are more magical than the other standard races in this world.

dekrass

Explorer
Heirs of Huma
Huma, the deity of magic, created humanity and infused their souls with the essence of magic. Heirs of Huma are humans who have inherited a natural talent for magic. They appear and behave much as other humans do, but they develop an instinctive understanding of magic and spellcasting.

Statistics
Attributes: MAG +3
Skill Choices: [crafting], [gaming], [magical], [lore], climbing, running, sailing, dungeoneering, swimming

Exploits
Diverse. Heirs of Huma get a +2 bonus to an attribute of their choice at creation.
Huma's Gift. Heirs learn any one magical secret.
Infused With Magic. Magic is intrinsically tied to human life. You can gain mana by expending some of your life. You gain 1 MP for each d6 damage you choose to take. This happens at the completion of the action requiring the MP. This damage cannot be SOAKed or resisted unless an ability specifically calls it out.

In our setting the vast majority of humans are Heirs of Huma. The remainder are considered Children of Huma. The Children of Huma use the rules for humans in Fantasy Careers and add the Infused With Magic exploit above.

dekrass

Explorer
Goblins
Goblins are clever, inventive, and often devious. They excel in scholarly, mechanical, and alchemical pursuits, and more than a few Goblins have have achieved political success. Goblin inventors are a driving force for the burgeoning industrial age in the Orcish Empire.
Goblins are thin and short, averaging about 3'6". They have green skin and black or dark blue hair. Goblins have sharp teeth, pointed ears, and narrow faces.

Statistics
Size: small
Attributes: AGI +1 INT +2 LOG +2
Skill Choices: alchemy, [crafting], deception, [lore]

Exploits
Personal Touch. Goblins tend to be particular about their equipment. They may designate one item of equipment which they own. After they spend at least an hour modifying it just the way they want it, that item permanently gains one bonus quality level. This extra quality level only applies for the goblin who modified the item. If the item is lost or destroyed, the goblin may designate a new item after 24 hours.
Night Vision: Goblins can see in dim light as if it was bright light.
Blast Resistant. Goblins seem more likely than anyone else to survive lab explosions, building collapses, or bombings. They gain +5 SOAK against any physical area attacks.

dekrass

Explorer
Orcs
Orcs were once a simple and violent bunch of tribes competing for territory. Now most orcs are citizens of the largest and oldest empire in the world. The Orcish Empire has become a major source of technology and culture, but the Orcs still have their violent tendencies. Formalized combat between individuals or small groups is still a popular way to settle disputes among Orcs.
Orcs have natural talents for violence and teamwork. Naturally, Orc soldiers are highly sought after.
Orcs are a little taller and broader than humans on average, with green skin and black or midnight blue hair. They have flat noses, mouths that protrude a bit, sharp teeth, and pointed ears.

Statistics
Attributes: STR +1 END +1 INT +1 CHA +1
Skill Choices: [combat], persuasion, intimidation, leadership

Exploits
Warlike. Orcs gain one bonus [combat] skill.
Resilient. Orcs recover from injuries far more quickly than most creatures. They can spend five minutes to heal 2d6 HEALTH once per day.
Strength In Numbers. Orcs gain +1 to all defenses when they are within 10' of one or more allies.

dekrass

Explorer
Ogres
Ogres are emotional and expressive beings above all else, though many people don't see past their size and potential to do harm. Their size combined with mercurial moods make them potentially dangerous and rather intimidating. Ogres often act on impulse, going where their moods take them. They feel everything intensely and like to express themselves in many forms.
Most Ogres are slaves of the Orcish Empire doing various forms of heavy labor, but there are pockets of free Ogres in other lands. Though most outside the Dwarven Confederacy don't know it, most of the magnificent carvings that adorn their cities are the work of Ogre sculptors.
Ogres are large, muscular, and impulsive. They stand around 7 feet tall with robust frames. Ogre skin color ranges through all the hues humans, orcs, and dwarves have, and also through varieties of color normally seen in flowers. Eye and hair color actually change with an Ogre's moods and have all the range of color that their skin has. Their eyes shift in color whenever their mood changes, and their hair changes over the course of weeks to fit their predominant mood. Each Ogre has its own emotional color scheme. For one Ogre red eyes might mean she's angry, while for another red means he's amused or happy.

Statistics
Size: large
Attributes: STR +3 END +3
Skill Choices: hardy, brawling, intimidation, carousing, singing, dancing, [artistic]

Exploits
Thick Hide. Ogres are extremely tough, with leathery skin. They gain +3 natural SOAK.
Berserker. Ogres can enter a berserk rage when they are below half HEALTH. This grants them a +1d6 bonus to all attack rolls. The rage only ends when all foes are dead, or the Ogre is rendered unconscious or restored to above half HEALTH.
Intense Emotions. Ogres have strong emotional reactions, as such they are vulnerable (1d6) to emotional damage.
Open Book. Ogres get +1d6 to CHA rolls to express their feelings. Others get +1d6 on attempts to sense an ogre's emotions.

I mentioned emotional damage above because I'm using the RESOLVE rules.

Remove ads