Skill Power/Martial Practice/GrandMaster Training: Pole Vault or Riding the Spear design thoughts

I dunno, being able to pole vault in combat feels more like a power to me. If you start making stuff like that into practices then I'd think every right-thinking player would just stockpile them all and be able to do all sorts of crazy stuff in combat. Kinda undermines the whole power-based model if you ask me.

I mean, you CAN already stunt with page 42. I understand the logic of "just learn to do this better", but then of course that is 'real world logic', not 4e logic...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I dunno, being able to pole vault in combat feels more like a power to me. If you start making stuff like that into practices then I'd think every right-thinking player would just stockpile them all and be able to do all sorts of crazy stuff in combat. Kinda undermines the whole power-based model if you ask me.

I mean, you CAN already stunt with page 42. I understand the logic of "just learn to do this better", but then of course that is 'real world logic', not 4e logic...

Note The incombat benefit is likely not for the Practice but rather for a Grand Master Training (and that is number limited)

Additionally what I eventually designed as a mp is in combo with mighty leap which is a power (and which could be used in and out of combat). I do want that mighty leap to actually be more functional in combat for its own sake I mean really.

Note The incombat benefit is likely not for the Practice but rather for a Grand Master Training (and that is number limited)

Additionally what I eventually designed as a mp is in combo with mighty leap which is a power (and which could be used in and out of combat). I do want that mighty leap to actually be more functional in combat for its own sake I mean really.

Well, that's an interesting concept, a 'power rider' practice. I think it may suffer from the potential to be a sort of defacto expected thing that everyone gets the rider, and then powers end up written with the rider factored in as a given, which would obviously be slly. One way around that might be something like converting the power from encounter to daily, but then it is virtually just "an MP that grants a power."

As GMT I have no issue though, and I think it would be fruitful to have MP that interact with GMT (or items for that matter, same thing really). That might be the best idea that came out of this so far.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well, that's an interesting concept, a 'power rider' practice. I think it may suffer from the potential to be a sort of defacto expected thing that everyone gets the rider, and then powers end up written with the rider factored in as a given

Well in this case you need a polearm/staff/spear -- or some hastily improvised analog for the MP to be useful too.

And this is Skill Powers we are talking about... most of which have some limited in combat value.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Yeh that right there is always a potential issue with powers and abilities... is a stunt not really just another word for feat? somebody wants to grab a hold of a really long polearm off the wall at the inn from the second floor and cut it loose and ride it down for a super leap smack in the middle of the bad guys table... tadah page 42 me brother.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Of note pole vaulting has its origins in the very real need to navigate in places with difficult to cross areas and difficult terrain in general ... ie swampy boggy and sometimes rocky (alah the scottish moors) , the mp would be useful for increasing overland speeds in those areas ;) if we wanted to get really detailed.

Well in this case you need a polearm/staff/spear -- or some hastily improvised analog for the MP to be useful too.

And this is Skill Powers we are talking about... most of which have some limited in combat value.

Right, I am just a little partial to the dividing line being that you enact a practice/ritual over a period of time (a minute or more) and a power is an instantaneous action requiring no more than a few seconds (although 4e doesn't actually state this outright it appears that a round is 6 seconds in length based on the evidence).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right, I am just a little partial to the dividing line being that you enact a practice/ritual over a period of time (a minute or more) and a power is an instantaneous action requiring no more than a few seconds (although 4e doesn't actually state this outright it appears that a round is 6 seconds in length based on the evidence).

The healing surge bit in the middle of combat when you might need it the most for other things is part of the picture too.

But yes this isnt the protracted skill use situation unless it was being applied to improving overland mobility in areas with really bad terrain and bogs etc... then the healing surge cost is instead of loosing more healing surges fighting the terrain ;)

Last edited:

The healing surge bit in the middle of combat when you might need it the most for other things is part of the picture too.

But yes this isnt the protracted skill use situation unless it was being applied to improving overland mobility in areas with really bad terrain and bogs etc... then the healing surge cost is instead of loosing more healing surges fighting the terrain ;)

Right, though obviously that would beg the question of why it isn't useful in combat if it only worked in that context.

Oh, what if there were certain MPs that have Skill Powers as prerequisites?

Remove ads