D&D 4E A gathering of Martial Controllers - what do you think

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Perhaps for a rogue or barbarian controller power ought to have a "running hamstring" power. Shift your speed slow every enemy adjacent to line of movement for a turn or two (actually with the controller based class feature it could last even longer), deal some small damage it totally takes out minions.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Here goes...

Fighter (Battlemaster)

CLASS TRAITS

Role: Controller
Power Source: Martial
Key Abilities: STR/DEX, WIS/CHA

Armor Proficiencies: armor through Scale, light & heavy shields
Weapon Proficiencies: All simple & martial. Choice of one Superior.
Bonus to Defense: +1 REF, +1 WILL

Hit points @ 1st level: 12 + CON score
Hit points per level: 5
Healing surges/day: 7 + CON mod

Trained Skills: Choose 4: Athletics, Bluff, Endurance, History, Insight, Intimidate, Perception, Streetwise.

Class Features: Weapon Talent, Battlemaster Fighter Stances, Fighter Exploits, Special Technique, Grandmastery

Level 1
WEAPON TALENTS
choose one

Heavy Draw: When you use a ranged weapon to make a basic attack or use a martial attack power, you can use STR instead of DEX for attack and damage. When you use a martial power that normally requires a light blade or off-hand weapon to use, you may substitute a quarterstaff, spear, pole-arm, spiked chain, or double-weapon and use STR instead of DEX for attack and damage.

Weapon Finesse: When you use a light blade, off-hand weapon, spiked chain, double-weapon, or heavy thrown eapon to make a basic attack or use a martial attack power, you can use DEX instead of STR for attack and damage.

Level 1
BATTLEMASTER FIGHTER STANCES
Choose two of the following powers:

Fending Stance
You swing your weapon in long, broad arcs, assuring that no one can approach you safely.
At-Will * Martial, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Requirement: You must be using a pole-arm or other weapon with reach
Effect: The reach you gain from your weapon becomes Threatening Reach. When you use a Close or Area martial weapon power that targets 'enemies you can see,' you can choose to target 'all creatures,' instead.

** more to come **

Something I liked in your descriptions was the use of keyword Martial you wrote things so that somebody does rogue or warlord or whatever multi-classing would get abilities compatible with each other....

Tony Vargas

Legend
I owe Mike Mearls some gratitude for it. The idea of sub- classes in 4e, of them having a different role than the main class, of at- will stances, and, from 5e, the name battlemaster and the seamless way weapon users could go STR vs DEX all contributed.

Before, a stumbling block for me had been an evocative, yet baggage- free name for a martial controller. I used Soldier, for one and had ideas for a Master (In the fencing martial arts sense), but both kept ending up too focused, and designing the 100 powers for a firm foundation to a New class is daunting.

Once the ideas came together, there wasn't much to design. By being able to go either STR or DEX, and potentially controllerize any martial power, it leverages the few controller-y powers in each Martial class.

Next trick would be to add a few powers, toned down to be fighter-acceptable (probably not optimal for a defender), that rise to the controller standard under at least one Battlemaster stance...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Next trick would be to add a few powers, toned down to be fighter-acceptable (probably not optimal for a defender), that rise to the controller standard under at least one Battlemaster stance...

One of the features of designing controllery Martial powers might be looking at controller powers from mage and modifying in ways that make them martial it might be using weapon reach / range (for instance short range / medium rarely long)

perhaps swapping d6 for [w] -1, d8 for [w], d10 for [w] + 1, or some such.

but as you said some nerfing is in order too...

The hamstring on the run idea comes from area effect powers too... you actually want battlefield mobility to create much of the area of effect for powers its not all going to be reach weapons and laying down caltrops ....

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I owe Mike Mearls some gratitude for it. The idea of sub- classes in 4e, of them having a different role than the main class,

I am fine with builds being different roles... assuming the right class features can be swapped out.

of at- will stances, and, from 5e, the name battlemaster and the seamless way weapon users could go STR vs DEX all contributed.

Stances have seemed flavorful and functional when I think I seen them in Bot9S

Before, a stumbling block for me had been an evocative, yet baggage- free name for a martial controller. I used Soldier, for one and had ideas for a Master (In the fencing martial arts sense), but both kept ending up too focused, and designing the 100 powers for a firm foundation to a New class is daunting.

Once the ideas came together, there wasn't much to design. By being able to go either STR or DEX, and potentially controllerize any martial power, it leverages the few controller-y powers in each Martial class.

Need more of those definitely.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The hamstring on the run idea comes from area effect powers too... you actually want battlefield mobility to create much of the area of effect for powers its not all going to be reach weapons and laying down caltrops ....

I think this is an important idea...

A Knight/Fighter who charges through the battlefeild using his heavy armor to push aside enemies can be mobile too, not just the Rogue and Barbarian

But right now the mobility powers for the knight are defender level crappy ;), opening up role versatility for them I really do think involves more of enabling that.

Remove ads