D&D 5E Stealth Checks - How do you handle them?

Bawylie

A very OK person
I don't call for a check until there's an opponent of some sort. Then, we make the opposing rolls and the results usually dictate what happens next, I.e. The guard yells out "who goes there" or what have you. In the event where for whatever reason there is no immediate indication of success or failure, then I let the die roll give the player an idea on how they did; if they rolled low then they know they aren't sneaking all that well, and so on.

I like that

-Brad

Satyrn

First Post
In what is very unlikely to be a surprise to anyone, I agree with [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION], and handle stealth the same way - no check until there is actually uncertainty for the check to resolve.

I knew it! You three are in cahoots!

Satyrn

First Post
I don't call for a check until there's an opponent of some sort. Then, we make the opposing rolls and the results usually dictate what happens next, I.e. The guard yells out "who goes there" or what have you. In the event where for whatever reason there is no immediate indication of success or failure, then I let the die roll give the player an idea on how they did; if they rolled low then they know they aren't sneaking all that well, and so on.
I let the player know they've made too much noise by placing an exclamation mark over the guard token.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I think they're actually [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION]'s sock puppets ;) No one agrees that much unless it's with themself...
Ah, but when we do disagree, it can be to a significant degree - like how only one of the two of us has had good experiences with 4th edition.

Shiroiken

Legend
I do not call for a roll until it matters (i.e. they could be spotted), so they can't change their mind. If someone is attempting to hide but are noticed, I only let the character know if the spotter reacts (sometimes they won't, but usually they will). Stealth in combat is rolled right away, so I can tell which NPCs/monsters can see the character without having to take an action, but the player has no idea if they succeeded or failed.

Li Shenron

Legend
How does everyone handle stealth checks? Do you let the players know right away that they failed or keep it to yourself until they get found out. Always feels a little weird to say, "You feel like you're not quite moving so quietly as you hoped." Thoughts?

We just do what 99% of the gaming groups have always done: players roll their dice in the open, DM rolls her dice behind the screen.

So the player sees her Stealth check result, and gets an idea about how good the attempt was, but cannot know for sure because the opposite check result (or passive score) is hidden from the players.

If you think about it, it's pretty natural: you can get the feeling on how much you managed to be quiet or not (did you sneeze? did you drop a vase from the table? did you step on a trumpet?) but you cannot be sure if someone noticed it.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Don't call for a roll until it matters. It doesn't matter what your players get on the dice at that point, they can't get a do over.

That applies for basically everything, which makes the 5e version of passive checks pointless for most of their stated purposes.

Transcript from a recent game

DM "You dash across the field magically concealed, but not invisible." [DM looks up the cleric's passive perception] "As you approach the building, you see multiple figures inside actively looking outside, and you also note multiple figures outside keeping guard that were not previously visible from where you were at. I need you to roll a Dexterity (Stealth) Check. This is not an easy situation to hide, but you get to add +10 for Pass Without Trace."
This, like most "hilarity ensues" rpg stories seems to rely on the DM not telling the PCs relevant information that should have been blatantly obvious.

DaveDash

Explorer
In the game I DM, we use roll20 and I do secret DM rolls for stealth, perception, and searching for traps (where passive doesn't apply) It's all macro'd up to the players sheets.
In the game I play in, our DM asks us to roll. We always roll - whether there is someone there or not. We like rolling, because we're playing a game where dice rolling is part of the game, and it's fun coming up with silly stuff when you roll low, even if no monsters are around.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Transcript from a recent game

Dwarf Priest "Hey, send someone across the field to see if there's any baddies waitin' on us in the winery!"

Elf Wizard "But... the rogue didn't come tonight... his kid had baseball or something..."

Dragonborn Trickery Domain Cleric "I've got this! I cast Pass Without Trace on myself!"

DM "OK, you cast Pass Without Trace. Your party members find it harder to notice you. You have to maintain concentration on this. The field is completely open between the tree line where you guys are and the winery. Also. It is fairly bright out right now. It's about noon and the weather is good. Tell us how you plan to approach the winery."

Dragonborn Trickery Domain Cleric "I'm just gonna run across. I'll use dash and cross the distance quickly before anyone spots me!"

Human Paladin "In your armor? Aren't you wearing chainmail? That'll be noisy!"

DM [looks it up and confirms that stealth checks are at disadvantage while in chainmail. He says nothing, but kinda chuckles to himself imagining the possibilities]

Dragonborn Trickery Domain Cleric "OK. You're right. I won't need it. I take my chainmail off and hand it to the Paladin for safe keeping"

Elf Wizard "This doesn't sound like a good idea..."

Dragonborn Trickery Domain Cleric "OK. Ready. I'm running across"

DM "You dash across the field magically concealed, but not invisible." [DM looks up the cleric's passive perception] "As you approach the building, you see multiple figures inside actively looking outside, and you also note multiple figures outside keeping guard that were not previously visible from where you were at. I need you to roll a Dexterity (Stealth) Check. This is not an easy situation to hide, but you get to add +10 for Pass Without Trace."

DM is thinking of how to mediate this.. maybe set a DC of 15? that's very generous because he's thinking that really it should be 20 but if they fail there will be a bloodbath.. or maybe do opposing Stealth vs Perception checks?

Dragonborn Trickery Domain Cleric [rolls...] "I rolled a 1...."

Elf Wizard "..."

DM "I need you to roll for initiative while 10 blights move in on the cleric's position with multiple more inside. The party will need a round to run up to your position. And.. remember that you don't have any armor on."

Hilarity ensues...

(Two bored guards looking over a field at middday while leaning on pikes)

'Hey Frank. Whats up with that naked dragonborn wreathed in shadow sprinting over here across that field?'

Remove ads