D&D 4E Genasi 4e to 5e update

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
With 4e, one of my favourite races was the genasi. I thought that this was an excellent update to the race and was a little disappointed that the 5e version went back to the earlier editions as the basis for the race. I'd tried updating the 4e version of the race before and I always felt like it was a little boring with just a number of spells to represent their 4e encounter powers in a fashion similar to the tiefling. Now with the release of Volo's guide, we have the updated Aasimar with what I consider one of the coolest abilities of any race, the ability to unleash their divine heritage for a limited time each day. I've taken that ability and adapted it to the genasi, each elemental soul is able to unleash their elemental power in different ways depending on which element they represent.

These are more of a spiritual successor than a direct translation of the 4e version. I'm still working on the elemental empowerment traits, and some abilities I've kept from 5e. Most of the power of the race comes from the subrace with only a few basic traits for the base stats. The abilities of the firesoul and windsoul are directly taken from the aasimar subraces with just a change in damage type. The watersoul ability is a mix of the 4e power and the sea sorcerer's ability at 14th level, although it doesn't take half damage from opportunity attacks. Unlike the other elemental souls, it also doesn't provide a damage boost, instead being all about mobility.

Ability score increases were based on the traits from 4e. They gained +2 Strength and Intelligence in 4e so I increased both abilities by +1 for the 5e version. For the subrace, the ability increases were based on their bonus inherent in the subrace. A bonus to fortitude became a +1 Constitution modifier whereas a bonus to reflex became a +1 Dexterity modifier.

Base Genasi Traits
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength and Intelligence each increase by 1.
Age: Genasi mature at about the same rate as humans and reach adulthood in their late teens. They live somewhat longer than humans do, up to 120 years.
Size: Your size is Medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Primordial.

Earthsoul
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Elemental Resistance: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Earth Walk: You ignore difficult terrain caused by earth and stone.
Earth Shock: Starting at 3rd level you can use your action to cause the very ground you walk on to rise up in your defence.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. When you activate Earth Shock, each creature within 5 feet of you must make a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The save DC is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.
During your transformation, creatures other than yourself treat the ground within 5 feet of you as difficult terrain. In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra bludgeoning damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra bludgeoning damage equals your level.
Once you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Firesoul
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Elemental Resistance: You have resistance to fire damage
Fire Pulse: Starting at 3rd level you can use your action to unleash a pulse of fire from yourself, causing searing flames to shroud your body and threaten to turn you to ash.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you shed bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet, and at the end of each of your turns, you and each creature within 10 feet of you take fire damage equal to half your level (rounded up). In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra fire damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra fire damage equals your level.

Stormsoul
Elemental Resistance: You have resistance to lightning and thunder damage.
Promise of Storm: Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to unleash the power of the storm within yourself, causing lighting to arc from your body.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra lightning or thunder damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra lightning or thunder damage equals your level.

Watersoul
Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Amphibious: You can breathe air and water.
Elemental Resistance: You have resistance to cold damage.
Swim: You have a swimming speed of 30 feet.
Swiftcurrent: Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to cause your form to ripple like water as you flow forward, whipping past enemies and rubble in a graceful surge.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you ignore difficult terrain, can move across liquid surfaces, and you can move through enemy spaces but can’t willingly end your move there. While moving, you take no damage if the surface or substance you move across would ordinarily deal damage to you.
On your turn, you can move through any space that is at least 3 inches in diameter and do so without squeezing. When you stop moving, the regular squeezing rules apply if you’re in a space one size smaller than you. You can’t willingly stop in a space smaller than that, and if you’re forced to do so, you immediately flow to the nearest space that can fit you, back along the path of your movement.

Windsoul
Ability Score Increase
: Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Unending Breath: You can hold your breath indefinitely while you are not incapacitated.
Elemental Resistance: You have resistance to cold damage.
Windwalker: Starting at 3rd level, you harness the power of the winds. Air swirls about you, lifting you from the earth while buffeting your foes.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you have a flight speed of 30 feet and, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra bludgeoning damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra bludgeoning damage equals your level.

Last edited:

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
So, you're a member of the genasi-loving club, too, eh?

Like you, [MENTION=50658]Rem[/MENTION]athlis (here on ENWorld) adapted the five basic 4e genasi options to 5e because he couldn't wait for official versions to come out (this was back when the 5e PHB had just been released). I liked those, and added them to my home campaign. Here's the link to his work: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?361168-D-amp-D-Conversion-Races#ixzz3EZpZfqr9

More recently, [MENTION=6855057]QuietBrowser[/MENTION] (also on ENWorld) added a number of other genasi variants. Qb's offerings were inspired by (an article?/story?/adventure?/blog?) by Quoth the Raven (#7) that involved the corrupting influence of Strahd's Barovia on genasi.

This introduced the Dread Genasi: grave, pyre, mist, and blood, plus the alternate elements of storm, metal, wood, and ice, and also one Wasteland Elemental, the sun genasi. Quietbrowser's link: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?489755-QB-s-Monstrous-Races/page3#ixzz4ORCmUvH6

After doing a side-by-side comparison of your's and Remathlis's adaptions from 4e, I am very pleased to report that there is more than enough daylight between your respective versions to be considered separate and distinct.

Bringing your work into my campaign world now brings the total to 24 variations (including the official) on "How to Be a Genasi."

Even the variant human cultures I've collected from 5e-compatible official and 3PP sources are fewer in number.

Oh, be still, my pulsing energy lines! Oh, Happy, Happy Day!

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
A note on age:

The official 5e version provides this:

Age. Genasi mature at about the same rate as humans and reach adulthood in their late teens. They live longer than humans do, up to 120 years.

This is culled from Remathlis's version:

Age. Genasi have an average life span comparable to that of humans, roughly 75 years. Some members of the race can live to the age of 90 or 100.

My POV: The official versions of genasi live longer. The farther a genasi has evolved from those has a cost in longevity.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
... one more note.

In my campaign world, genasi and humans, like elves and humans, have been known to make babies together.

However, such offspring are not like half-elves: they profoundly favor one parental race in attributes, rather than displaying any kind of blending.

Like sorcerous bloodlines, generations might go by before the unexpressed race shows up in an individual.

Check out the respective appearance of dread genasi variants, and imagine the reaction of human parents having a baby that looks like one of those.

Character backstory material, for sure.

QuietBrowser

First Post

More recently, [MENTION=6855057]QuietBrowser[/MENTION] (also on ENWorld) added a number of other genasi variants. Qb's offerings were inspired by (an article?/story?/adventure?/blog?) by Quoth the Raven (#7) that involved the corrupting influence of Strahd's Barovia on genasi.

This introduced the Dread Genasi: grave, pyre, mist, and blood, plus the alternate elements of storm, metal, wood, and ice, and also one Wasteland Elemental, the sun genasi. Quietbrowser's link: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?489755-QB-s-Monstrous-Races/page3#ixzz4ORCmUvH6

Dread Genasi stem from an article in issue 7 of Quoth the Raven, a fan-content internet annual magazine for the Ravenloft setting created and hosted by the Fraternity of Shadows website. Dread Genasi are based on Dread Elementals, a Ravenloftian corrupted form of elemental that's been around since second edition.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

Like you, [MENTION=50658]Rem[/MENTION]athlis (here on ENWorld) adapted the five basic 4e genasi options to 5e because he couldn't wait for official versions to come out (this was back when the 5e PHB had just been released). I liked those, and added them to my home campaign. Here's the link to his work: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?361168-D-amp-D-Conversion-Races#ixzz3EZpZfqr9

After doing a side-by-side comparison of your's and Remathlis's adaptions from 4e, I am very pleased to report that there is more than enough daylight between your respective versions to be considered separate and distinct.

Bringing your work into my campaign world now brings the total to 24 variations (including the official) on "How to Be a Genasi."

Even the variant human cultures I've collected from 5e-compatible official and 3PP sources are fewer in number.

Oh, be still, my pulsing energy lines! Oh, Happy, Happy Day!

Thanks for posting the links to previous works, I've gone and checked out the work by remalthlis, it looks like he did a lot of work in updating previous edition races to 5e. I actually already have Quietbrowser's work saved in a word document, it may have been inspiration for my initial attempts to update the 4e genasi.

I hadn't thought of age, I will probably follow the official take on their age and add it in to my versions.

I always thought genasi were a cool and then 4e took them and made them something that matched their update of the elemental planes with all the elements smooshed together in the elemental chaos, higher levels allowing them to gain more elements and eventually able to manifest two at a time really made them something distinct from what had come before. The inclusion of the stormsoul as one of the base elemental types just made it so much more awesome instead of just the classic 4 elements. Then they introduced the abyssal subtypes and later once darksun was out in 4e they brought out some specific to the setting.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Abyssal Genasi

Genasi whose elemental bloodline has been corrupted by the Abyss. In 4e this was due to the Abyss sitting within the Elemental Chaos causing some genasi to manifest these darker bloodlines. In 5e, this could be due to a corrupted ancestor or a bleed effect from a planar gate to the lower planes causing these darker aspects to emerge.

Please note that these have not been tested and I am just running on best guess as to the power levels.

Causticsoul
Appearance: Green skin; green-black energy lines; bald with green-black energy lines glowing on the head.
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Amphibious: You can breathe air and water.
Elemental Resistance: You have resistance to acid damage.
Swim: You have a swimming speed of 30 feet.
Acid Surge: Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to cause your form to bubble and dissolve into hissing liquid allowing you to surge through your enemies.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you can move through enemy spaces but can’t willingly end your move there. When you move through a creature’s space, they must make a Dexterity saving throw. They take acid damage equal to half your level (rounded up) on a failed save or no damage on a successful one. The save DC is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Dexterity modifier.
In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra acid damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra acid damage equals your level.

Cindersoul
Appearance: Ashen grey skin; dim fiery-orange energy lines; faint trails of ash or wisps of smoke emanate from the head.
Elemental Resistance: You have resistance to fire damage
Firedeath: As all fires must burn out, so does each attack on you dwindle and die. Starting at 3rd level you can use your action to steal the energy of attacks directed at you.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, when you take damage from an attack or spell, you can use your reaction to treat all damage dice to have rolled a result of 1.
In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra necrotic damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell as you draw the energy from their body. The extra necrotic damage equals your level.

Plaguesoul
Appearance: Black skin; energy lines of the deepest lack of color; bald with utter darkness rising from the head.
Elemental Resistance: You have advantage on saving throws against poison and disease, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Plaguebearer: Starting at 3rd level you can use your action to surround yourself in a poisonous cloud.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. When you activate Plaguebearer, each creature within 10 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The save DC is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier. Any poisoned creature may repeat the saving throw at the end of their turn.
In addition, at the end of each of your turns, each creature within 10 feet of you takes poison damage equal to half your level (rounded up).

Voidsoul
Appearance: Black skin; energy lines of the deepest lack of colour; bald with utter darkness rising from the head.
Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Elemental Resistance: You have resistance to psychic damage.
Void Mind: You have advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws.
Void Assumption: Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to become the void, the absence of all.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you are treated as heavily obscured and may use your bonus action to teleport to an unoccupied space within 15 feet. In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra psychic damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra psychic damage equals your level.

Tallifer

Hero
Makes me want to play Ardjuna the Warlord once more. (I used the Genasi race to emulate his ancestry from a man and a mountain spirit.)
Ardjuna portrait.jpg

Remove ads