D&D 4E [Orcus/4e] House rules - including a skill challenge replacement

Sanglorian

Adventurer
During the development of Orcus, I had a lot of ideas for tweaking 4E - or changing it in more profound and radical ways.

I (mostly) resisted the urge at the time, but I wanted to share some of these ideas now. I'd also love to hear about your 4E/Orcus house rules. I'm most interested in major changes to the game, but feel free to share any house rule big or small!

The first one is a way to do extended challenges, like skill challenges in 4E or the victory point system in Pathfinder 2E.

During the development of Orcus, I had a lot of ideas for tweaking 4E - or changing it in more profound and radical ways.

I (mostly) resisted the urge at the time, but I wanted to share some of these ideas now. I'd also love to hear about your 4E/Orcus house rules. I'm most interested in major changes to the game, but feel free to share any house rule big or small!

The first one is a way to do extended challenges, like skill challenges in 4E or the victory point system in Pathfinder 2E.

Reactive challenges
The heroes might explore a vast, perilous swamp; piece together clues to catch a serial killer; or try over days to negotiate a complex peace settlement between two implacable foes.

These challenges are too important and intricate to be resolved with a single skill check. For these, the GM should outline a “reactive challenge”.

Background
I've never been happy with skill challenges (or extended challenges as they are called in Orcus). They seem very artificial, mostly a chance for each hero to roll skill checks and feel like they've "contributed", rather than pose a puzzle or genuine challenge, or reflect what is going on in the story.

When I read YUM/DM write about the clever three-stage reaction roll chart from the 1983 Mentzer Basic Set, it switched on a lightbulb for me. It is broadly applicable to any kind of challenge, and roughly breaks down into: positioning, resolution and an optional "Hail Mary" if resolution fails. What I particularly like about it is that it is dynamic: after each roll, the PCs get feedback on how they have performed that they can usefully incorporate into their next effort.

Reactive challenges are a replacement for extended challenges that borrow that old reaction roll structure. In a nice bit of parallel evolution, they also work a lot like moves in Powered by the Apocalypse games. There are also bits of Strange Flight's challenge crawls in the mix.

Example reactive challenges
The Duke’s intervention
Setup: The Duke needs to be convinced to send his soldiers to search for villagers that have been abducted by bandits.

Obstacles:
  • The heroes have no way to speak to the Duke directly.
  • They have no leverage over him if they do get to speak to him.

Time pressure: The villain arrives at the bandits’ camp in three days, and it will take about two days for the Duke’s soldiers to find the camp – leaving just one day to convince the Duke (each PC may make one attempt every eight hours).

Win time by delaying the villain's arrival, like setting up a distraction or booby trap, or blazing a trail to the bandit camp so the soldiers do not need to waste time searching for it.

Escape the Kingport guards
Setup: The the city guard are in hot pursuit.

General perils: The guards catch sight of one of the heroes; a merchant is incensed at damage to his stall; a loose roof tile slips, causing a climber to slide towards the edge; the guards call out to citizens to stop the heroes.

Obstacles:
  • The long, narrow Sturgeon Street with fishmonger stalls on either side, leading to ...
  • The Twisting Bazaar, a maze of colorful tents filled with hawkers and shoppers, leading to ...
  • Crown Square, a plaza ringed on all sides with terraced houses, beyond which is the city gate.

Alternative obstacles: If the heroes decide to disguise themselves, seek refuge or hide instead of running, they may have to bluff their way through, convince others to help them or find good hiding places.

The heroes may use their knowledge of the city to identify shortcuts or alternative routes, such as through the sewers.

Time pressure: A second group of guards arrives at the city gate after three minutes, closing off the escape route and lending more eyes to the search (each PC may make one attempt every minute).

Win time by delaying one or both groups of guards, like setting up a distraction or booby trap.

The burning building
Setup: The heroes come across a burning building, and are told by the crowd that there are three children still trapped inside.

Obstacles:
  • One child is on the second floor. She knows where the child lost in the smoke is, putting the hero that rescues her in a good position to rescue that child too.
  • One child can be heard, but can't be seen among the smoke.
  • One child is trapped under a fallen beam.

Time pressure: The building will burn down within about three minutes (each PC may make one attempt every minute).
  • After the second round, the heat intensifies: all heroes in the building lose a recovery.

Win time by fighting the fire.

Individual tests
Heroes overcome the challenge by defeating each obstacle. Usually, different heroes can work on different obstacles: one can look for leverage over the Duke while another tries to line up a meeting with him. Or one hero finds one child and climbs out of the building with them while another peers through the smoke looking for another.

However, to be overcome an obstacle usually needs two successful skill checks: one to get into a favorable position to overcome the obstacle and the next to actually overcome it.

In the dynamic challenge rules, this is the difference between being in a good position and success.

Implicit in each of these actions is a cost. At the very least, this is time – which could have been spent doing something else. But it can involve other resources too.

When you maneuver into position, make a skill check and compare it to the DCs for your level.
  • Beat Hard DC by 5 or more: Success. The hero does so well, they get into position and overcome the obstacle all in one.
  • Beat Hard DC: In a good position. The hero is well-placed to overcome the obstacle.
  • Beat Moderate DC: Try a different way. The hero failed but may attempt something different.
  • Beat Easy DC: In peril. The hero must escape the peril or suffer some kind of loss or damage.
  • Fail: Peril realized. The hero suffers some kind of loss or damage.

When you are in a good position and you exploit your position, make a skill check and compare it to the moderate DC for your level.
  • Beat Moderate DC: Success. You overcome the obstacle.
  • Fail: Lose your good position.

Generally, once the obstacle is overcome a hero returns to a neutral position for the next obstacle. But follow the fiction here – if they are well-placed for the next step of their plan, then they are in a good position.

Losing your good position does not literally mean you always return to the same place. If you got into a good position by climbing through a second-story window, you probably don’t fall out the window if you lose your good position. But you may lose your bearings within the house, or take so long searching that the smoke grows thick and muffling.

When you attempt to escape peril, make a skill check and compare it to the hard DC for your level.
  • Beat Hard DC: You escape peril.
  • Fail: The danger is realized, and you suffer harm or damage.

Heroes will also want to help each other out. When you help someone in a worse position than you (they are in peril and you are not, or you are in a good position and they are not), make a skill check and compare it to the Moderate and Hard DCs for your level.
  • Beat Hard DC: Their position improves by one step (in peril => neutral => good position)
  • Beat Moderate DC: You cannot help them in this way.
  • Fail: Your position worsens by one step.

This may seem too generous, but consider that the helper is also spending time – time that they could spend overcoming obstacles instead.

---

There's more detail over on the Orcus site about designing and arbitrating reactive challenges, but I figure this is enough detail to get your head around the system.

As I said above, would love to know what you think.

Last edited:

Sounds interesting.
My only input so far is a minor thing: If Hard DC +5 is a fixed DC for all skill challenges, might be best to codify it as a 4th difficulty type - "Very Hard" or something like that.

pemerton

Legend
Sounds interesting.
My only input so far is a minor thing: If Hard DC +5 is a fixed DC for all skill challenges, might be best to codify it as a 4th difficulty type - "Very Hard" or something like that.
I have notes/house rules that call it Extreme (I think - I'm working from memory, and haven't looked at the notes in a while).

Quickleaf

Legend
I like the inclusion of obstacles as clear goals, and that your integrating ideas from other systems.

A big sticking point is time pressure. And I see it being a sticking point in two ways. Taking your first example, the Duke's Intervention...

Time pressure: The villain arrives at the bandits’ camp in three days, and it will take about two days for the Duke’s soldiers to find the camp – leaving just one day to convince the Duke.

The 1st issue here is that there's no sense of what a player can accomplish within a given time span. How many times can a player try to get leverage over the Duke or try to delay the villain's arrival? Who knows, it's left entirely up to the GM to figure out.

The 2nd issue is that time pressure works when it works, and doesn't when it doesn't. IOW, there are some narratives where time pressure as the limiting factor (i.e. knowing when the scene is done), and there are other narratives where it absolutely isn't the critical limiting factor. For example, I've run an "audience with the duke" scene where instead of a time limit it was how much tolerance the duke's "social rubber band" had for being stretched, challenged, or smack-talked to.

I know the temptation is to create a one-size-fits-all template for non-combat structured scenes / skill challenges, but I really think that is carrying on one of the core weaknesses of the skill challenge system that should be questioned.

Sanglorian

Adventurer
I like the inclusion of obstacles as clear goals, and that your integrating ideas from other systems.

A big sticking point is time pressure. And I see it being a sticking point in two ways. Taking your first example, the Duke's Intervention...

The 1st issue here is that there's no sense of what a player can accomplish within a given time span. How many times can a player try to get leverage over the Duke or try to delay the villain's arrival? Who knows, it's left entirely up to the GM to figure out.

Thanks for the feedback!

The general assumption is that the time pressure is split into three, and PCs can each make one attempt in each of those thirds - so once a minute if the house is burning down in three minutes, for example. I've edited the example challenges to make that explicit. I don't want to be too prescriptive though - if a task should take more or less time "in the fiction", that should prevail.

The 2nd issue is that time pressure works when it works, and doesn't when it doesn't. IOW, there are some narratives where time pressure as the limiting factor (i.e. knowing when the scene is done), and there are other narratives where it absolutely isn't the critical limiting factor. For example, I've run an "audience with the duke" scene where instead of a time limit it was how much tolerance the duke's "social rubber band" had for being stretched, challenged, or smack-talked to.

I know the temptation is to create a one-size-fits-all template for non-combat structured scenes / skill challenges, but I really think that is carrying on one of the core weaknesses of the skill challenge system that should be questioned.

I take your point about the limitations of a one-size-fits-all template. One of the systems I spent a bit of time unpacking is Spycraft 2E's challenges system. They've really put a lot of care into distinguishing lots of different common types of challenge (chases, interrogations, hacking, etc) and giving them their own rules, actions and sub-systems. One that stuck with me is for a chase, reputation can be the limiting factor for the antagonists: just how long will their superiors let them deploy so many people and so many vehicles chasing after the heroes?

I'd like to experiment with dynamic challenges more to see if they can work with something other than time as the limiting factor. I do like time in most circumstances though, because it avoids the problem of every other player using aid another to boost the one player who has the best skill bonus.

---

Thanks for your interest. Next time, I'll be posting morale rules using the saving throw mechanic.

Sanglorian

Adventurer

Background​

Sometimes fights in Orcus drag on, even when it's clear who has the upper hand. Morale rules add a new tactical dimension to the game as well as encouraging battles to wrap up when the odds become overwhelming.

Morale saving throws​

Morale is a fear effect, so creatures with a bonus or penalty to saving throws against fear effects also apply that modifier to morale saving throws.

A creature makes a saving throw the first time in each combat that each of the following occurs:
  • First blood: It is staggered.
  • Leader down: An ally of its level or higher with the leader tag is overcome (it surrenders, cowers, flees or is reduced to 0 HP or below.) This rule applies to enemy creatures only, not to the heroes.
  • Force broken: Half or more of its side is overcome (by XP value, for enemy creatures.)
If a creature fails its morale saving throw, it surrenders, cowers (takes the Total Defense action and does nothing else) or flees (uses all of its actions to move away from enemies or hide), as the GM considers appropriate for the circumstance. If a monster cowers or flees, make a saving throw at the end of each of its turn. On a success, it regains morale and may act again as normal.

The GM may apply morale rules only to enemies and retainers, or to the heroes as well. Heroes get a +2 feat bonus to morale saving throws, and they only count heroes towards whether their side is overcome or not.

To calculate the XP value before a side is broken, divide the total XP for the encounter in half. This means that a boss will not test morale just because its mooks are slain.

Monster morale bonuses​

Boss and elite monsters receive a +5 and +2 bonus to all saving throws, respectively, including morale saving throws. GMs may wish to give morale saving throw bonuses to monsters based on their psychology.

darkbard

Legend
Sometimes fights in Orcus drag on, even when it's clear who has the upper hand.

Morale is a fear effect, so creatures with a bonus or penalty to saving throws against fear effects also apply that modifier to morale saving throws.
I haven't examined your project, but I will note what I see as a design inconsistency here. The first statement is made from the perspective of gamist concerns, ie, this is a game and no one enjoys when a game drags and is no longer fun. Yet the second smuggles in a simulationist priority--creatures resistant or immune to fear should have the aforementioned bonuses because that's how you imagine morale should work in simulation of some cause-and-effect.

Now, what if a combat against a group of mindless undead that is immune to fear begins to drag? These competing concerns (gamist and simulationist) run at loggerheads with each other.

Thanks for the feedback!

The general assumption is that the time pressure is split into three, and PCs can each make one attempt in each of those thirds - so once a minute if the house is burning down in three minutes, for example. I've edited the example challenges to make that explicit. I don't want to be too prescriptive though - if a task should take more or less time "in the fiction", that should prevail.

I take your point about the limitations of a one-size-fits-all template. One of the systems I spent a bit of time unpacking is Spycraft 2E's challenges system. They've really put a lot of care into distinguishing lots of different common types of challenge (chases, interrogations, hacking, etc) and giving them their own rules, actions and sub-systems. One that stuck with me is for a chase, reputation can be the limiting factor for the antagonists: just how long will their superiors let them deploy so many people and so many vehicles chasing after the heroes?

I'd like to experiment with dynamic challenges more to see if they can work with something other than time as the limiting factor. I do like time in most circumstances though, because it avoids the problem of every other player using aid another to boost the one player who has the best skill bonus.

---

Thanks for your interest. Next time, I'll be posting morale rules using the saving throw mechanic.

Love to see where you end up. I think more types of systems available the better as sometimes one structure fits better than another depending on the situation you are trying to model.

2 further comments:

1) I'd try to get permission to include Stalker's Obsidian skill challenge as an option. (you can search for it on ENWorld). It stays fairly abstract but is based on every character should get a chance to contribute once per round over 3 rounds. Add up successes over the 3 rounds for graduated success (failure, partial, full). Everyone should be using a typical skill for the type of challenge (social for social, etc) but can occasionally come up with something creative to use an off skill (athletics in a social challenge) but not all the time otherwise that feels silly. The key is that you are always incentivized to try to contribute. Even if you have a low score in a skill, 30% chance of success is better than 0%. AND the math takes this into consideration. which leads to...

2) the math. extended skill checks are not trivial to evaluate so you have to make sure to do the math. otherwise you can easily get to situations like where the DM thinks they are presenting a moderate challenge say but in reality the math tells you its very very easy or impossible. The One Ring 1e and 2e have cool looking non combat encounter systems where the math is totally broken.

Stalker0

Legend
Love to see where you end up. I think more types of systems available the better as sometimes one structure fits better than another depending on the situation you are trying to model.

2 further comments:

1) I'd try to get permission to include Stalker's Obsidian skill challenge as an option. (you can search for it on ENWorld). It stays fairly abstract but is based on every character should get a chance to contribute once per round over 3 rounds. Add up successes over the 3 rounds for graduated success (failure, partial, full). Everyone should be using a typical skill for the type of challenge (social for social, etc) but can occasionally come up with something creative to use an off skill (athletics in a social challenge) but not all the time otherwise that feels silly. The key is that you are always incentivized to try to contribute. Even if you have a low score in a skill, 30% chance of success is better than 0%. AND the math takes this into consideration. which leads to...

2) the math. extended skill checks are not trivial to evaluate so you have to make sure to do the math. otherwise you can easily get to situations like where the DM thinks they are presenting a moderate challenge say but in reality the math tells you its very very easy or impossible. The One Ring 1e and 2e have cool looking non combat encounter systems where the math is totally broken.
As the author of Obsidian, permission granted. all I ask is for a credit if you use it in any formal document

Remove ads