• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with Player-requested Beholder PC

plisnithus8

Adventurer
I have a player that wanted to play a beholder in an upcoming adventure.
I said I'd try to make that happen.
I attempted to base the EYESTALK mechanic on the chassis of the Dragonborn breath weapon.
Please let me know what you think.

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 4.59.23 PM.png

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Very interesting - and keeping in mind the relative power level of a beholder and easily it could have come out more powerful than the other racial options, this looks like it could actually contribute to a regular group without overshadowing the other characters.

What class are they thinking of playing? The natural intelligence boost lends itself to the wizard, though with no appendages it may not be possible without some serious effort.

Perhaps more importantly -- kudos for not simply saying, 'NO!' to them. I reckon most DMs would shoot down such an idea before it ever got going. Good job!

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
It's an interesting approach you've taken, and I hope it works (which more comes down to your own group of players and their ability to handle 'his character does X and mine doesn't' than any kind of objective balance point).

However, my approach to this situation would be "You want to play a beholder? Awesome. Anyone else want to play a monster?" and then giving a rough balancing to whatever the players wanted to play by adding class levels to bring up the less potent choices (so one guy could play a beholder as-is from the Monster Manual, and if another player wanted to just be a human fighter, I'd probably make them about 18th level and give them a few potent magic items to start with).

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Thanks for the double post. Lol

Here's the meme that the player sent that started the idea:
View attachment 81807
So I might eventually be making an interprative dancer (probably part bard college of movement, part shadowdancer).

Now for the beholder PC, I think what's missing are some simple ways to manipulate & hold/carry things.
I'll probably say it can manipulate doorknobs/levers, buttons, and other simple mechanisms with its mouth & tongue combo, taking twice as much time as normal (2 actions), with disadvantage when rolling, and preventing speech.
It can pick-up and carry 1 item in its mouth (again no speech) but not use as a tool or weapon.
It could probably have a specialized backpack to carry items.
It could wiggle eyestalks for somatic components and use a stalk band or a pendant of some sort for an arcane focus.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I did not see any eye powers on the original post, only the central eye. I would include a couple, even if they are not the traditional ones. Maybe more like cantrips. The lack or armor and hands are a negative and having something like mage hand would make up for some of this as well.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Yes, I like the idea of a mage hand cantrip to simplify the plan I was making for teeth/tongue manipulation of objects. Thanks.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
I added:
- mage hand cantrip
- ability to alter backpacks & arcane focus to be usable
- ability to wiggle eyestalks as somatic components
- changed higher-level eyestalk powers to say they come from other eyestalks

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 8.00.42 PM.png

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Really smart, really fun. Well done.

I'm not sure about "alter a backpack" -- I think the player needs to just live with "mage hand" as a means of manipulating things. No self-respecting beholder carries a satchel.

I presume you'd allow a character to attune to rings, etc.

Remove ads