• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judgement calls vs "railroading"

hawkeyefan

Legend
I guess it turns (in part at least) on how strongly determine is being used.

I took it to be fairly strong, as in make it the case that the players succeed (or fail, as the case may be). If you mean influence or condition, then I agree. Eg as I said in the OP, in setting a difficulty for a check to notice a container in the room, I have an influence on the prospects of player success or failure.

But if you really do mean make it the case that the players succeed or fail, then I'm still curious as to why. For my part, and to answer "How could they not?", it seems to me that if the GM sets a DC in accordance with established principles for the game, and those principles are in themselves coherent (eg they prescribe DCs that are amenable to success on the part of the players), then the GM is making judgement calls that don't determine (in the strong sense) player success or failure.

I think it's a sliding scale, largely. The DM will make a variety of judgments over the course of an adventure, and even more over the life of a campaign. Some, like the DC for a skill check let's say, will have a minor influence. Others will have a more profound impact. And while I would never say that ultimate success or failure should be determined by the DM, I do not think that every instance of DM judgment affecting PC success is some sort of transgression.

With my gaming group, that is the dynamic that we expect; the game is at least partially subject to everyone at the table, and the DM most of all. Like I said, I'm all for allowing player authorship to some extent, but I expect that DM authorship will play a larger part in the proceedings.

I also am not sure that I inherently value chance being the arbiter of events in lieu of DM judgment. I think there are times for each.

I can see the possible value to limiting the amount of judgment required by the DM, depending on play style and group expectations, but there's no way to avoid it entirely.

To go back to the example from your OP, the way I would handle that situation would be to determine if I thought a suitable receptacle was present based on the factors involved. I'm not sure I like the idea of a player skill check determining such....you described this as a way to preserve drama because the PC can succeed or fail. However, I don't know if that's really the case. Is his check to determine if he notices the item or is it used to determine if the item is actually present? The way I've read your comments is then latter; the PC's check determines if the chamber pot is present.

So if the check isn't successful, then the chamber pot isn't there. How has the PC failed? The player has failed a check sure, but how has ther character failed? Perhaps I've misunderstood your premise.

Also, in your OP, you say that if the DM decides that "no chamber Pot is present in order to continue with the story as he wants it" (paraphrased) then that's no good. However, the DM can be just as likely to make a decision about the presence of the chamber pot without worrying about preserving his intended story. If the player does not elaborate on why he wants the chamber pot, and instead just asks if there is one, and the DM decides yea or nay, he's simply done so out of the same kind of reasoning that you used to determine the DC for the skill check. So in that sense, it is not that different.

QUOTE=pemerton;7053743]Sure. In the OP I expressly stated that I imagine others will see things differently.

But in replying to your posts I haven't taken any particular issue with your differing view from mine over what is a railroad. I've objected to your claims about what always must be the case (around plot, GM authorship, etc).[/QUOTE]
I kinda do though.
Because it's not just a "differing view", it's redefining a phrase, which I take umbrage with. When everyone can just change the meaning of terms and phrases we lose the ability to communicate meaningfully. It's not only unhelpful, it's actively harmful to our ability to interact. Especially on message boards where we don't even have tone or body language or inflection to rely on. Language and shared terminology is super important.

Additionally, "railroading" is almost a pejorative in the D&D community. So you coming along and saying the DM making any decision for the campaign that isn't narration (i.e. flavour), decided random, or determined by the player is railroading is poking people in a very sensitive topic.
It's arguably the most inflammatory statement you could make without involving 4e, warlords, or hit points.

I actually find this very hard to take seriously. It seems to completely disregard most of what I've posted in this thread.
And yet some groups do it.
There are quite a few games that exist and play without a gamemaster. The big one being Fiasco. And now with tools for random dungeon generators and the like it's easy to do for D&D.
Your group sounds like they would enjoy it.

(1) How can the players determine the odds of success as well as me? They have an obvious and deep conflict of interest.
The argument could be made that how can one person determine odds of success as well as four or five? Plus, the DM is arguably biased and unable to accurately determine the odds of success.

If one or even two players are being favourable to themselves the others can shut them down. Because they'll want things to be fair for them when they try and do something. Because everyone has a stake, it's a self-policing system.

(2) What would make you say that "I'm not making any decisions"? Narrating consequences of failure, and framing the situation, are key decisions.
Many GMs move the narration of actions to the player side. Some systems, like FATE, require it for the mechanics. The players can describe their own stress and consequences.

If events have no unforeseen or expected consequences then descriptions of success and failure are just flavour. Like narrating a successful hit. Any PC can do that. They can take turns describing and narrating, and determining the social consequences of failure.

But they're not decisions that establish the plot.
Actions have ripples. Unforeseen consequences. Killing a warlord creates a vacuum of power that is filled by someone. Deciding what happens for each of those actions is a decision.
If failure doesn't have many consequences between the immediate and visible, the players can easily narrate those.

(3) What makes you refer to "randomly determining events in the game"? No where in any post have I referred to random determination of events. In fact, it's all deliberate. Hence a thread about GM judgement calls. (The players roll dice, which determines whether they succeed or fail. But the consequences of success aren't random - they've been chosen by the player. And the consequences of failure aren't random - they've been chosen by the GM.)
If you set the consequences of failure and success then that's a judgement call. You're deciding what happens in each instance based on your ideas and opinions.

(5) This particular post makes me wonder whether you have any experience of playing the sort of game I'm describing, or even have any exposure to it as a phenomenon. It makes me wonder what you think games like Marvel Heroic, Burning Wheel, Dungeon World and the rest of the PtbA stable, etc, are actually about.
I have not played all those games but I have played some. But this is a 5th Edition D&D forums. We're here to talk 5e D&D. This is not a general/generic RPG forum.
If I wanted to talk 4e I'd be posting here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/forumd...-1E-OD-amp-D)-D-amp-D-Variants-and-OSR-Gaming
If I wanted to talk other RPGs I'd be posting here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?2-Roleplaying-Games-General-Discussion

I don't have experience playing the exact time of game you're describing. But I have run a wide variety of d20 campaigns ranging in degree of railroading, from the original Dragonlance modules and Rise of the Runelords to several homebrew sandboxes, some where I established a firm plot that the players could interact with and some where the plot(s) is just events occurring in the background that can be engaged with or not.

The campaign I'm running now is very player centric, focusing on personal goals and aspirations. Of the dozen sessions so far, 2/3rds have been based entirely on goals set by the players based on their backstories or generated spontaneously during play.
In the last session one of the players managed some business dealings he initiated. He's involved himself in the kobold dragon blood trade (dragon blood is used to make sorcerers in my campaign setting). Another player arranged to supply a merchant with several casks of dragon blood on a regular basis in exchange for some magical items.
Now, in this instance, there's no success or failure to negotiate. The dice barely left the table that session as I roleplayed and reacted as the NPCs. I could have rolled I suppose, but people in real life make trade agreements without dice all the time. The deal benefited both, so I say "yes".
But, there could be consequences. Now the rich, ambitious nobleman has numerous sorcerers under his control. The fallout from that is directly the result of the players and their actions. But I'm still making a decision about what the merchant decides to do next. And it's an unforeseen consequence that the players would not/ did not anticipate at the table, allowing the campaign to surprise them.

I didn't say otherwise. I said that a sandbox game may not have a plot.
It may not have a plot *in advance* but it will have a plot in retrospect. Which means it has an unfolding plot in the present.
Your life doesn't have a plot. But, if you write an autobiography, it will.

That is to say, it may not have main events, as in a film or novel, forming an interrelated sequence. It may be a series of largely unconnected events with little narrative cohesion. I suspect that quite a bit of classic dungeon crawling was like this. And some contemporary OSR gaming is like this also: there are events (in the sense that play occurs), but not an interrelated sequence of main events as in a novel or film.
Well, we are using imperfect terms. There's no singular word to describe branching, nonlinear disociated RPG plotlines.

All plots are, by definition, linear - they are sequences of main events. (I'm putting to one side extreme avant garde novels and films. No one in this thread seems to be articulating that sort of approach to RPGing.) When the players summarise the events of the sandbox, they will fit into a linear (probably temporal) order.
First, "nonlinear narratives" are a thing. First example off the top of my head is Memento but there are so many others. Which is hardly "avant garde". As are Choose Your Own Adventure novels.

Sandbox RPG plots do not conform to the conventions of traditional narrative. Much like videogames. Open world video games have a sprawling net of a plot, with alternate routes and options. The first and third DragonAge games were very nonlinear in the middle, as do all three Mass Effect games. But they all have a plot. The experiences and life of my dovahkiin in Skyrim are going to be very different from other players, but my playing still had a "plot".

But from the point of view of the story elements of a RPG game, what you describe sounds like backstory. But it's only a plot - in the literary sense - if it is "the main events of a play, novel, film, or similar work, devised and presented by the writer as an interrelated sequence." If the PCs never interact with said backstory, it can hardly be said to constitute the main events of the RPG considered as a work similar to a novel or film. If no one at the table but the GM knows or cares about them, they're manifestly not the main events. The stuff the PCs do is what makes up the main events of a RPG campaign.
In my sandbox game the gnolls are causing trouble, being manipulated by the yuan-ti through magic into capturing human and elven slaves. As such, the gnolls are raiding human caravans and settlements for prisoners.
Meanwhile, because the gnolls are busing themselves with the west, the eastern human nation is being left alone and is free to fortify its borders, and is becoming expansionist. It's claiming a few satellite towns and establishing watch posts.
And the rich merchant king of a second human nation is thinking of claiming the barony, using an army of sorcerers to seize power.
All that is "the plot". Or, arguably, "the metaplot". It's all going on in the world, plus numerous other events and side quests. The players can *choose* to focus on those plots or ignore them and make their own quests - which they have so far. More or less. If they ignore it, the plot progresses and changes, as time passses and events transpire. The world moves on. The stories that the players latch onto become the main plot, the main events of the narrative, while the rest does just become backstory. I don't know in advance, but I'm still generating the events.

Is it a railroad? Well, I'm determining all the world events, a generated the entire campaign setting, I have a rough idea of some of the yuan-ti's plans and seldom randomly choose if things exist or don't. I often (continually, really) make judgement calls throughout the sessions.
And yet, if my players decide to say "eff it, I'm tired of the desert and the gnolls. Let's see what's to the south!" then the campaign moves to the south and the current story fades into the background while new ones emerge.

If the "plot" is flexible in the way you describe, then it seems that ipso facto it's not a plot. It is one of several candidate plots. Until the actual sequence of main events is established, the plot isn't established.

But what you describe is still, in my view, a railroad. If the end point is already known to the GM, then however colourful and exciting the detours along the way, they are ultimately being driven by the GM, with a pre-given outcome in mind.
That's splitting hairs.
We're describing RPG stories with terms and definitions used for books, film, and other traditional narratives. They don't apply as well to RPGs or non-traditional stoytelling. It's always going to be an imperfect fit.

Serialized television certainly has a plot. Sometimes it's planned and has an end set in advance. Other times they make it up as they go along. But the shows still have a continuous narrative. When they start a season, the fact that there's several "candidate plots" doesn't negate the main narrative or cancel out the final narrative at the end of the season.
Lost still has a plot. And at the end it was pretty tightly plotted. Near the end, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje decided to leave the show and the writers had to suddenly move the plot points planned for Mr Eko to other characters. Suddenly the existing plot dramatically shifted in favour of a plot that wasn't even a "candidate plot". But the show still had an overall plot.

The idea that a game in which the GM chooses the villain, the overarching story, what the campaign is about, might not be a railroad is extremely foreign to me. I take it for granted that the players will choose the villains (ie their PCs' enemies), that what the campaign is about will be some sort of collaborative thing, and that the overarching story will be established via play. That's how I've been GMing since about 1986.
It boggles my mind that you've been playing for thirty years for over a half-dozen game systems and running the same campaign for each.
Haven't you played in games run by other DMs? Haven't you ever run a prepublished adventure with a story?

That you haven't changed your DMing style also flabbergasts me. I think back to how I used to DM back in 1992ish and how I Dungeon Master now and it's night and day. I've run and played in so many completely different games. How I run and plan and write adventures is so completely and totally different now...

Okay… how you play is fine. You can play however you like. I'm not going to dissuade you. Or even try to. Life is short: do what makes you happy.
But... just because you play that way and give the players that much more narrative control than the norm does not mean people who don't do the same are all railroading.
It's not your way or the railway.

If player agency is a vital part of a sandbox, then I don't see how it can be on a Z-axis that is independent of the X-Y axis from sandbox to railroad.
I goofed there. Late night. Sleepy.
It should be sandbox/railroad is the horizontal X axis while player determination is the vertical Y axis.
So you have a cross shape with four quadrants of gameplay styles.

How are they independent? Because the existence/ nonexistence of player choice determines if a game is a sandbox or railroad. The player involvement in the creation of plot points determines the other.

Claiming that the DM generating plot points is railroading is akin to claiming the DM building the world rather than collaboratively generating it with the players is railroading.
"Oh, you're using the Forgotten Realms? A prepublished campaign setting? All aboard!! Whooo-wooh!"

I simply don't see the rationale (other than unfamiliarity with other RPG styles) for asserting that sandbox and railroad form a spectrum.
Because life isn't all-or-nothing. (Only the Sith deal in absolutes.)

Because you can deprive your players of one choice in your sandbox game and a switch doesn't flip, making the campaign a railroad. How far down the spectrum of sandbox to railroad your game is depends on the percentage of choices you give your players and the percentage of the time you coerce them into a particular plot. The number of false choices and invisible walls the DM erects.

You can start with a hard scripted plot for a session or two, to establish the characters and the world, and then move into a sandbox. Or you can start with a sandbox until a plot coalesces and then moves more on the rails. Or the DM might know how the story should end, but is leaving the middle open and letting the players find their own way to the set destination.

The modern indie-RPG scene is a reaction against White Wolf-era railroading and metaplot. These games are designed to deliberately differ from those railroads, precisely in being player driven.
o_O
That you describe the White Wolf metaplot - that is literally in the background and can have zero impact on the game - as railroading speaks volumes.

Indie RPGs are more about narrative control than railroads. Being able to spend a Plot Point to retroactively have done something or invent a connection between the PC and an NPC is unrelated to the campaign being a sandbox or a railroad game.

No it wouldn't. If one player drove all the action it might be a poor game, but it wouldn't be a player-driven railroad, because that player wouldn't know what was going to happen. That can't be known until the actions are declared, the dice rolled and the consequences thereby established.
If a player comes into a game with a firm backstory and motivation ("My father was murdered before my eyes by the Warlord Schell for his piece of an artifact. And the warlord is marshalling an army to conquer the known lands") they're kinda railroading. They have an arc or story for their player planned.
Pair someone like that with a passive table of people who just want to hang out, roll dice, and play and don't have strong urges to contribute to the narrative. And you have a player driven railroad.

Can you explain how the "player-driven railroad" you describe would work?

How would the players communicate to the GM what is in their head? Who would control worldbuilding? What would the point of action resolution be? Why would the players even declare actions for their PCs, if they know in advance what the answer from the GM is going to be?

I'm having some trouble envisaging what you have in mind here.
It's almost a theoretical example. An unrealistic extreme at two ends of the scale.
Much like a true railroad where the players are just running through the game master's novel. It happens but the vast majority most games aren't remotely that bad and the presence of the dice will always cause things not to unfold as planned.
The vast, vast, vast majority of games are going to fall in the middle of the spectrum.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The two most recent campaigns I have started are a 4e Dark Sun game, and (last weekend) a Cortex Fantasy Hack game.

This is why I simply don't agree that the heavy listing of setting has to be done by the GM.
From this and other things you've posted here it seems your games are a good way down the spectrum towards co-operative storytelling. I'm coming at this from a long history of quasi-Gygaxian dungeoneering where a plot or world backstory sticks its head up now and then, takes one look at the party, and likely runs screaming back into its cave. So, small wonder we're talking in circles.

Your PCs seem to be making a category error! If the PC looks for a diamond they might find it - after all, there are diamonds in the world and there's no apriori reason why one of them may not be right here! - but it is not looking for it that makes it appear. It is looking for it that results in it being found. (Which is a pretty typical causal process.)

At the game table, there is a question of how the group decides whether or not the shared fiction includes a large diamond here and now. A dice roll against a DC is as good a method as any, and better than some.
If you hadn't decided ahead of time whether there's a diamond there to be found or not, my statement that I'm looking for one and subsequent success on the roll to find it means *pop* I've just generated a diamond. Do this often enough and hey, who needs to adventure? :)

(This is all assuming that the presence or not of the diamond is an outcome - something of significance - and hence merits a rolling of the dice.)
It's significant to my character's wealth, if nothing else.

This particular post makes me wonder whether you have any experience of playing the sort of game I'm describing, or even have any exposure to it as a phenomenon. It makes me wonder what you think games like Marvel Heroic, Burning Wheel, Dungeon World and the rest of the PtbA stable, etc, are actually about.
They can be whatever they like; but it seems you're trying to take an overall foundational basis of those systems (i.e. a strong lean toward co-operative storytelling) and shoehorn it into D&D, which traditionally has had a more DM-driven style.
But from the point of view of the story elements of a RPG game, what you describe sounds like backstory. But it's only a plot - in the literary sense - if it is "the main events of a play, novel, film, or similar work, devised and presented by the writer as an interrelated sequence." If the PCs never interact with said backstory, it can hardly be said to constitute the main events of the RPG considered as a work similar to a novel or film. If no one at the table but the GM knows or cares about them, they're manifestly not the main events. The stuff the PCs do is what makes up the main events of a RPG campaign.
Plot, backstory, and game-world history are really all the same thing, with the only differences being time (whether current or past) and level of effect on or interaction with the PCs.

The end-result story of the game may or may not have much to do with any of these.

==========================================
Jester David said:
Well, we are using imperfect terms. There's no singular word to describe branching, nonlinear disociated RPG plotlines.
Though I think we kind of need one for these purposes. Just within my current campaign we have or have had:
[sblock]- a party going back in time to stop Ares from doing something that would have made a mess of history (6-adventure arc)
- an ongoing slow quiet takeover of (eventually) the world by Elves, unknowingly (in most cases) backed by Mind Flayers who have captured and corrupted one of the Elvish gods (at least 10 adventures so far with more to come; I can mine this plot until the cows come home)
- a party breaking up a slavers ring (5-adventure arc based on 1e's A-series); and this led directly to and kind of tied in with:
- operations against and eventual slaying of the undead emperor of a nearby realm, and dealing with the civil war that followed (5 adventures so far, still ongoing).
- a small adventure path to deal with something corrupting Poseidon (4 adventures) [by sheer coincidence this tied in perfectly with the Elvish stuff, after the fact]
- a series of adventures culminating in the destruction of an awakening Hobgoblin deity (5 or 7 adventures, depending how one counts)
- one small adventure that waved in passing at what will (I hope) become a major story arc later, to do with stuff I won't get into here in case any of my players wander by
- another small adventure that brushed against a long (as yet unplayed) adventure path that might someday become an entire new campaign
- and a bunch of side treks, let's-go-bash-some-giants trips, diversions, and so forth.

There's been a bunch of interweaving parties doing all this, it's most certainly not been the same people playing the same characters week after week for 9 years, but eventually different people from different groups meet and share stories, and thus the overall knowledge base slowly grows.

And these are just the plots the players/characters have either chosen or been recruited to engage with. There's been others they've turned their noses up at and still others they've flat-out missed the hints for.
[/sblock]So, what is this thing you call linear plot?

One thing worth noting: to those who say the DM should have everything planned out in advance, some of those plot lines weren't even dreamed of when the campaign started. The advantage of a long campaign, I guess: lots of time to think of new ideas. :)
It boggles my mind that you've been playing for thirty years for over a half-dozen game systems and running the same campaign for each.
Haven't you played in games run by other DMs? Haven't you ever run a prepublished adventure with a story?

That you haven't changed your DMing style also flabbergasts me. I think back to how I used to DM back in 1992ish and how I Dungeon Master now and it's night and day. I've run and played in so many completely different games. How I run and plan and write adventures is so completely and totally different now...
I guess I'm not much different, in that I've been both playing and DMing for 30+ years in the same 1e-based system, with one long side trip into playing 3e. I'd like to think I'm a better DM now than in, say, 1989...but my primary motivation remains the same: I try to run the sort of game that I'd enjoy playing in; and I'll know I'm doing it wrong if people stop coming out to play. :)

Lan-"did this thread have a predetermined plot or are we making it up as we go along?"-efan

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Jester David said:
If a player comes into a game with a firm backstory and motivation ("My father was murdered before my eyes by the Warlord Schell for his piece of an artifact. And the warlord is marshalling an army to conquer the known lands") they're kinda railroading. They have an arc or story for their player planned.
Pair someone like that with a passive table of people who just want to hang out, roll dice, and play and don't have strong urges to contribute to the narrative. And you have a player driven railroad.
Which can get messy if the DM has other ideas about what she's willing (or ready, or able) to run.

The other way the players can railroad themselves is when the party gets into a situation where, mostly due to character traits and personalities, one adventure or sequence just leads sequentially and obviously to the next (in their eyes) regardless of whether or not the DM has something different in mind. I've seen this as a player: during one adventure we found or learned something (I forget the specifics) that made our next mission so blindingly obvious to us as characters - at least the Good-aligned ones - that we couldn't in character do anything else. Of course the DM had something entirely different in mind, but this time our self-inflicted railroad trumped his. :)

Lanefan

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm curious what a game without DM judgment calls would look like.
It'd look a lot like a game, really. Most games (not restricting it to RPGs), don't require a DM or referee. The rules are fewer, simpler, & clearer, the scope of play more constrained, and players are left to hammer out any ambiguities or house rules, among themselves. RPGs are generally much more ambitious in scope, requiring far more complex rulesets (which require interpretation, using judgement) or openness to operating without rules (which requires judgement). The DM position, early on, often called a 'judge' or 'referee,' provides that judgement.

I mean, I'm all for shared authorship of some form, even in systems that aren't designed around that type of game, but every game requires judgment from the DM. And yes, such judgment will at times determine player success or failure.
A shared-storytelling game can follow a round-robin narrative, for instance, you could think of it as taking turns DMing, but it's really just taking turns telling a story, building on what's come before and adding new ideas to it. All the players are thus equal.

The clearer, more consistent, & better-balanced the system, and the more tightly focused and constrained in scope the adventure, the more practical it'd be to have even an RPG without a DM.

Plausible (assuming the game has a GM).
Why?
Assuming the game has a DM to exercise judgement about what the rules say/mean, when/how they apply, and what the details and nature of the world and situations within it are like, then, yes, those judgements will at times determine (not merely influence) player success or failure. 5e is an obvious example: The player declares an action, the DM exercises his judgement to determine if it will succeed, fail or should be resolved with a dice roll (and sets a DC, which could be set high or low enough to make failure or success inevitable).

pemerton

Legend
I've seen the term railroad-campaign being thrown around a lot in this discussion. I would assume this means a campaign in which the DM is constantly obstructing the players, and making sure that nothing goes off script. I want to be sure that we all agree that this is different from just playing a linear campaign. If the DM decides to run a linear adventure module, and the players are all along for the ride, then its not a railroad campaign, because no one is being obstructed in their actions.
My take - following on from my OP - is that the two scenarios you described are both similar and different.

Similar: in both cases the GM is shaping/manipulating actin resolution to ensure that the pre-determined outcomes come about.

Different: the one you describe as a "railroad" sounds like it's horrible for the players, because they get obstructed at every point; the one you describe as merely "linear" sounds like the players are enjoying it. (Upthread, [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] has called your second scenario, where the players enjoy it, "participationism".)

I've been a CoC player in games that are like your linear example - ie the GM is moving things along to a certain outcome, and my job as player is just to provide a bit of colour and characterisation for my PC. I wouldn't want to play a whole campaign like that, but as a CoC scenario it works well because the lack of power nicely correlates to the descent into madness.

I think there are some practical challenges in running the second sort of game: if the GM is going to make sure things go in a certain direction, but the players don't know exactly what that is, and are declaring actions for their characters, there needs to be some way for the GM to make sure that the outcomes of those declared actions don't prevent the intended outcome coming about.

In CoC that's not too big a challenge, because CoC players don't really have the ability to declare the sorts of actions that would obstruct the GM's planning: eg perception and library use-type actions unlock information, which is under the GM's control; combat actions are largely ruled out except in extreme situations, for law-and-order reasons; there's no social conflict resolution, so the GM can handle those sorts of outcomes; etc.

In D&D I think sometimes it could be a bigger challenge, because D&D players tend to have a wider range of abilities that - on the fact of it - would let them impact the fiction.

hawkeyefan

Legend
It'd look a lot like a game, really. Most games (not restricting it to RPGs), don't require a DM or referee. The rules are fewer, simpler, & clearer, the scope of play more constrained, and players are left to hammer out any ambiguities or house rules, among themselves. RPGs are generally much more ambitious in scope, requiring far more complex rulesets (which require interpretation, using judgement) or openness to operating without rules (which requires judgement). The DM position, early on, often called a 'judge' or 'referee,' provides that judgement.

Fair enough. I meant an RPG without DM judgment, but I agree with what you said. I know there are games with varying levels of involvement from the GM, and some seem to want as little as possible. I don't think that it can be truly removed from the game...some kind of referee judgment, I mean. Not and remain recognizable as an RPG.

A shared-storytelling game can follow a round-robin narrative, for instance, you could think of it as taking turns DMing, but it's really just taking turns telling a story, building on what's come before and adding new ideas to it. All the players are thus equal.

The clearer, more consistent, & better-balanced the system, and the more tightly focused and constrained in scope the adventure, the more practical it'd be to have even an RPG without a DM.

True. In the case of rotating DMs though, there is no removal of DM judgment so much as spreading the responsibility and role among all players.

Assuming the game has a DM to exercise judgement about what the rules say/mean, when/how they apply, and what the details and nature of the world and situations within it are like, then, yes, those judgements will at times determine (not merely influence) player success or failure. 5e is an obvious example: The player declares an action, the DM exercises his judgement to determine if it will succeed, fail or should be resolved with a dice roll (and sets a DC, which could be set high or low enough to make failure or success inevitable).

I agree. I think this is generally how 5E is designed. Of course, that can be changed to a certain degree if desired. I don't think 5E D&D "must" be played or DMed a certain way. Plenty of room to allow for other takes and approaches if so desired.

Alright, going to post a very short Dungeon World play excerpt, but just the resultant fiction only. Then I'll do three successive posts (I may not get to each tonight, but I'm going to grab 3 successive posts nonetheless and finish out tomorrow if I need to) outlining how these things might be mechanized in each of Dungeon World (or how it was), B/X, and 5e.

Subsequent to that (in coming days) I'll analyze it all for "vulnerability to GM Force/Illusionism."

Without further ado (ELF is obviously the player...and GM...you can figure that out):

ELF

After I've regeared, I'll pocket the coins and place the choker around my neck, feeling the welcomed heat in my breast. I'll then make sure all of my supplies are in order, light the torch, and warily head up the path that leads out of this chamber, a silent prayer on my lips that it might lead to somewhere hospitable.

GM

The path moves upward and switches back a few times at a fairly steep grade. Soon you hear the sounds of spoken language echoing off the tunnel halls. Goblin tongue. Something about "King Ornrak not letting anyone leave...going to starve them all...tired of eating cave-shrooms...soon they're going to be sifting through their own dung or eating their dead...the starved dead...humans with their goats haven't been here for weeks." Someone answers with a "shut up and get rid of the garbage."

The sound of a portcullis raising. A "Hurrrrrk..." and then a weird liquid sounding shuffling from further in. The first goblin calls back to the second "you say something?" A muffled sound and then wet, squishing sounds.

You round a final bend and as your torch-light plays off the stone walls of the narrow path, it exposes the edge of the raised portcullis you heard prior. Fresh blood emerges from somewhere beyond your line of sight...around that final bend...oozing down toward you with the steep descent of the path (ascent for you).

All is still save your dancing torchlight and the advance of the blood toward your feet.

ELF

I don't want to step in that blood and leave tracks everywhere, possibly incriminating myself as well. The goblins surely have light sources in the chambers ahead of me. Assuming the tunnel is just a few feet wide here, maybe 3-4 feet like a normal hallway, I'm going to do a Spider Man thing and leap up and wedge myself with my legs, spread eagle. I'll sheathe my sword, put my torch in my mouth and use my hands to carefully move forward while wedged. When I get around the bend and can see the raised portcullis and into the room I'm going to take the torch from my mouth and throw it into the room, hoping to attract the attention of whatever is in there. With my legs wedged and my hands freed, I'm going to rip my bow from my back and string an arrow, training it on my line of sight into the center of the room and my torch.

What happens and what do I see?

GM

1) A dimly lit room with a worked stone floor, a few torches in recesses in the walls, and refuse-filled barrels.

2) The grisly remains of the two goblins you heard talking. They appear to have been engulfed violently with random appendages severed in the consumption. The legs of the goblin who raised the portcullis are the source of the blood that was seeping down the path.

3) Puddles of transparent, pinkish goo near where both of the remains lie.

For a moment, all is still and quiet as you survey from your wedged perch between the walls. Then, suddenly a grotesque creatures darts into view; a pile of amorphous pink flesh with an impossibly large mouth, 3 eyes aligned vertically above the mouth and tentacles strewn about the mess of a "face". Something of a "tail" trails the bulbous mass.

Its clearly an "advanced" version of what you've seen before. A rancid smell accompanies the nastiness it secretes. It skirts the torch you threw, a weird, sliding, squishing locomotion aided by the whip of the tail and the tentacles.

ELF

I don't waste any time. My strung arrow flies free.

GM

Your arrow sinks into the creatures flesh and it recoils. It darts away out of your line of sight with surprising quickness.

ELF

I stow my bow on my back, leap from my perch for the portcullis, grabbing the bottom and swinging into the room. When I hit the ground, I'm drawing my blade.

GM

The creature is gone but a clear trail of slime leads to a wall where the creature ascended vertically. It ends in a natural vent, not terribly large, that the creature must have squeezed into.

ELF

Well, this is not good. I want to look around the room for any more of these vents that the creature might have used to enter the room. I can't have it getting the drop on me.

GM

As your eyes scan the room for any other points of entrance/egress in the stone walls and ceilings, the sound of a creaky hinged door from the far end of the room stirs you from your search. A squat goblin shambles into the room, flipping a coin and catching it on the back of his hand. Before his attention is drawn from his game of catch he says in goblin, "I heard you guys could use some...help..."

The moment he sees you and the carnage of the room, he bolts back from whence he came, the coin clanging off the floor and rolling before it comes to a rest somewhere amidst the tangle of refuse barrels. The shout of "Elf!" from his lips echoes off the corridor walls and rings through your mind like nails on a chalkboard.

ELF

Well, options are pretty limited. I can only hope that many didn't hear his call. I have to get to him before the whole place is alerted. With one final look of consternation at the vent that the creature went through, I break into a dead sprint.

GM

Your much longer legs and athleticism are easily equal to the task of the pursuit. Stairs wind upwards in something of a pronounced spiral. Maybe twenty paces in and you're at the top within arm's reach of the goblin as he breaks through the doorway.

You can easily put your sword into his back, but you'll be doing so in front of a pair of goblin laborers who are rather busy eschewing their responsibilities as they instead dice it up in the corner. It looks and smells like they're supposed to be boiling and handling excess leathers for the creation of glue - pots and equipment for such are everywhere.

When the little goblin bounds into the room with you hot on his heels, his lazy compatriots both look up with annoyed glances. Seeing the specter of death in your fluid gate, with fear in their eyes, they survey behind them; the only hope for egress is a hallway opening several paces away.

ELF

I'll just grab him instead and I want to parley with these guys the best way I can. I'll grab him with one arm, manhandling him with something of a headlock. If he squirms, I'll tighten it until he stops. With my sword outstretched and pointing at the surprised laborers, I'll speak to them. "I am an elf of no small magical power." If need be, I'll accentuate my point by bringing my weapon to life with a crackle of magical thunder.

"I've slain the beasts of your basement so you know I could slay you both where you stand. But I wish not to. There is a predator loose in your halls. If we do not discover it, and quickly, many more will die beyond your two companions that rid your halls of refuse...or used to."

GM

That is quite leverage enough. No need for any further fireworks.

The goblins exchange looks and one of them speaks in surprisingly good common. "Let Gnorl go and we will help you find it 'elf of no small magical power.' Can you slay it?"

The paranoid looks on their faces and their scanning of the walls and ceilings tells you they easily believe your story...perhaps they aren't unfamiliar with it.

DUNGEON WORLD

The PC is an Elven Arcane Duelist (F/M)

1) This was all off the cuff after the PC fell through a glacial crevasse and into an underground frozen river. Frozen and unconscious, he woke up on the shore of the basement of a hobgoblin complex. The complex's refuse is dumped there and a Darkmantle and a Roper take care of that. The PC survived the freeze and slew them both. He cautiously made his way up the path that lead out of the chamber. No mechanical resolution there.

2) This complex is called Earthmaw (it was created out of thin air and added to the play map as a result of prior resolution). This is a mercantile hobgoblin realm that serves as the lone trade outpost for the highlander peoples of this remote realm. They are not pure evil as the D&D trope goes, but they are unforgiving and very spartan in their creed. These goblin servitors are meek and pathetic, probably indentured, but not outright slaves.

3) At this point in the game, this PC's alignment statement (carrot) was "Good: Slay a menace to the innocent." Do that and earn 1 XP at End of Session. So I frame the opening situation with (a) a dangerous "menace to the innocent", (c) which follows from the prior fiction, and (d) fills the character's life with adventure.

4) When the player declared the little wall-straddling move with torch in mouth while he draws his bow, I could have called for a Defy Danger move because of the lurking threat in the next room. However, I chose to go ahead and "say yes" here. His Dex is nearly maxed in this game so this is the sort of thing he should be able to do as it is archetypal for the PC as well.

Now, if he was looking for some kind of mechanical advantage (say just roll his damage die on the "recently molted and soon to be full-fledged Aboleth" rather than initiating the Volley Move), I would have made him Defy Danger (DD) Dex and then we'd find out what happens. On a 10+, I would have let him roll his damage with no cost/negative fallout (basically the equivalent of a Volley move). On a 7-9 on DD, the prospective choices for a player are going to be somewhat different than a 7-9 on a Volley.

5) The burgeoning Aboleth has consumed two innocent goblins. It is drawn to the sudden stimulation (light and sound). The PC lets loose a Volley:

When you take aim and shoot at an enemy at range, roll+Dex. On a 10+, you have a clear shot—deal your damage. On a 7–9, choose one (whichever you choose you deal your damage):

* You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger as described by the GM
* You have to take what you can get: -1d6 damage
* You have to take several shots, reducing your Ammo by one

The player rolled a 7.

Ammo is an abstract quantity for ammunition. It is not 1:1. 5ish Ammo would signify a full quiver. You might spend it for a boon or to avoid another complication. You might just straight lose it due as a product of outright action resolution failure.

In this case, the PC knew the Aboleth had 6 HP, so his 4 HP damage wasn't going to outright slay it. Further, he only had 1 Ammo going into this and his HP, while not too bad, were at a premium because who knows what he is up against/what the future beholds? So, he chose to eat the -1d6 damage and reduced his damage further rather than losing his last Ammo or choosing danger (which would give me the opportunity to escalate things in a way that he may not like).

6) My move. I choose to just follow the fiction and have the thing retreat into a fissure in the walls. This is in-line with the creature's Instinct of "eat to grow" and its Move "hunt the unsuspecting."

7) The PC, sufficiently concerned by the creature's changing of the situation (from hunted to hunter), urgently canvasses the room for any other topographical points of ingress and egress. This initiates the move Discern Realities:

When you closely study a situation or person, roll+Wis. ✴On a 10+, ask the GM 3 questions from the list below. ✴On a 7–9, ask 1.

Either way, take +1 forward when acting on the answers.

What happened here recently?
What is about to happen?
What should I be on the lookout for?
What here is useful or valuable to me?
Who’s really in control here?
What here is not what it appears to be?

As is plain to see, the player rolled a 6 or less (a 5). This triggers (a) a hard move from me (a significant, negative escalation of the situation where the PC has no say) and (b) 1 XP for the character.

I chose to bring another goblin into the situation. Seeing the grisly scene before him (possibly indicting the PC for the 2 goblin gargagemen deaths?), he shrieks and hauls goblin booty back from whence he came. Things could go south quickly here if he gets away.

8) The PC gives chase. This triggers a Defy Danger (Str) move:

When you act despite an imminent threat or suffer a calamity, say how you deal with it and roll. If you do it

✴On a 10+, you do what you set out to, the threat doesn’t come to bear. ✴On a 7–9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.

The player rolled an 8.

The PC catches the little goblin, but not before they emerge into the next room with a couple more goblins. I also give the PC the choice to just run the little goblin through if he'd like. Obviously, this choice creates the tension of pragmatism versus his basic morality...and would definitely close down any prospects for immediate parley (while possibly narrowing them for greater parley with the Hobgoblin King - which they are seeking).

The other goblins are scared, so a show of force may either spook them into a sprint out the door, or have them engage rashly in combat. All the while...the "aboleth-to-be" lurks... (and yes, this is an Aliens themed situation).

9) The PC decides to Parley.

When you have leverage on a GM Character and manipulate them, roll+Cha. Leverage is something they need or want.

✴On a 10+, they do what you ask if you first promise what they ask of you. ✴On a 7–9, they will do what you ask, but need some concrete assurance of your promise, right now.

The player rolls a 12 and his PC has plenty of leverage over the pathetic goblins...at least sufficient to this task. He doesn't need a further show of force. I go ahead and create some backstory that implies that this "Aliens" thing isn't something that has just emerged right at this moment...maybe this exact thing is haunting the compound?

The successful Parley moves things forward.

Alright, I'm knackered. I'll edit the below post and detail how this scenario might come about in B/X tomorrow.

Abridged version: Elf PC + Dungeon Key + Exploration Turn + Stock Encounter + Combat/Morale + Exploration Turn + Wandering Monsters + Monster Reactions + Evasion and Pursuit + Stock Encounter + Monster Reactions

Last edited:

B/X

The PC would be an Elf. The setup, principles, and procedures would be a bit different as below:

1) So I would have mapped probably 3 dungeons (this one included) at the outset. They each would have been stocked with puzzles, monsters, traps, denizens, adornments, and other interesting stuff/obstacles. My dungeon key would tell me where everything is. The players would have scouted and then picked one during the town phase.

The setting and theme of the dungeon would be untouched. Hobgoblin trading outpost cut into a mountain. The residents would be hunted by alien-like creatures. How the PCs got separated would likely have been different. Rather than a crevasse in the frozen glacial wasteland, maybe the Elf fell through a chute in another part of the complex. That is how he got into the basement. And here we are!

2) The PC would almost surely be Lawful. The Hobgoblins and Goblins wouldn't share an Alignment Language with him (they're Chaotic), but given his high Int and Elfdom, he would almost surely have both Hogboblin and Goblin as a language. As an Elf, he's able to see 60 ft in the dark and has Infravision. That would change things quite a bit. He'd also have 2 1st level spells and 1 2nd. He'd probably have Charm, Sleep, and Mirror Image. 1, 2 on Secret Doors/Listen.

Obviously he would be both Mapper and Caller for this period of play.

3) So the PC would have won his stock battle with the denizens of the hobgoblin complex's refuse basement. That would have been a stock encounter after the chute/pit he fell down (thus separating him from the party). Its likely that he would have needed to expend his Mirror Image spell to do so.

He then cautiously made his way up the ascending path that leads out of the chamber. This might have been 2 Turns of Exploration. With one of his Exploration Turns being spent to try to perceive sounds of what is happening in the corridors above him, he would have needed to roll a 1 or 2 on his d6. Looks like he rolled a 1 or a 2. Maybe another Exploration turn was spent searching for Secret Doors or special things (likely not), which would have mean he would have failed to detect them (if there were any). I would have checked for Wandering Monsters once or twice (depending on the frequency of this area on my key) and rolled my dice.

4) Its most likely that:

a) The Aboleth Fledgeling (hereafter AF) OMNOMNOMing the two goblins was a stock encounter and...
b) The little goblin coming around the corner was the result of a rolled 1 on the second of those two Wandering Monster checks. It looks like I would have then rolled probably a 2 (for 2 minutes) on my 1d4 for when he arrives.

5) When the player declared the little wall-straddling move (wouldn't have torch in mouth because of his Elf vision in B/X) while he draws his bow, I would have either adjudicated that one of two ways; it would have either affected the surprise roll of the encounter or I would have had him roll 1d6 and give him surprise on a 1...or I would have just given the AF a penalty to surprise and the PC a bonus.

I would have gone with the latter. So 1-3 for the AF and 1 alone for the Elf. He and I roll our 1d6 for Surprise. He doesn't get a 1. I get a 1-3. My Monster is Surprised so the PC wins Initiative and acts first.

6) The PC lets loose his Missile Attack and rolls his damage. Obviously not enough to kill my Monster, but (a) this is the first time its been hit and (b) it probably was reduced to 1/4 (or less of its HPs). Both of these call for a Morale check. Given that both of these have occurred, I would have given the AF a -1 penalty (maybe another -1 because it just fed...why does it need to get into deadly combat?). I roll my 2d6 and it exceeds the AF's Morale.

The AF flees when it acts (now). However, we don't have to consult Pursuit and Evasion because it obviously has a special ability to meld into cracks in the stone.

7) The PC, sufficiently concerned by the creature's changing of the situation (maybe feeling of going from hunter to hunted), urgently canvasses the room for any other topographical points of ingress and egress. This would have been the beginning of an Exploration Turn. However...

Now my prior WM check of the goblin comes into play. He sees the grisly scene before him (which possibly indicts the PC for the 2 goblin gargagemen deaths?. Maybe he also sees the familiar pink goo trail of the AF and knows that this thing killed his friends and is likely lurking.

The next bit of business would have been resolved in a myriad of ways. I wouldn't have had my little goblins have the standard B/X Morale of 7ish. They're shaken, they're mere laborers, they're cowardly. I would probably give them maybe something as low as a 3-4. At 2 and he won't fight at all. Given the circumstances, I'd give him a -2 penalty to put him into the "auto-flee" zone.

First I have to roll 2d6 for Monster Reaction and figure out how my goblin responds. Any result that comes up as Attack and I'd automatically flee. Now this PC has a 13 Cha so +1 to MR. That means I can't get a 2 (auto-attack) on my MR unless there is a penalty of some kind for character actions.

Maybe I roll a 3-5 (Possible attack, but check again after an exchange).

So maybe the player says his Elf puts his hands up/out (with sword still in hand) and says (in goblin, so that helps) "I DID NOT DO THIS! LET ME HELP!" So he speaks the cowardly goblin's tongue, clarifies the situation, offers to help, yet still has weapon in hand. Maybe I give him a +1 for this next roll for a total of +2 with his Cha. On the "Possible Attack" sub-table, a 2-8 is "Attack" (Flee in this case due to Morale).

I roll a 2-8 for MR and off the little cowardly goblin goes! The PC pursues.

8) Evasion and Pursuit time. The goblin is slower than the Elf (75 % his speed), but he knows these corridors while the Elf does not (so a situational bonus). Instead of mapping things out in Exploration Turns, we're just zooming by decision-points and descriptors (should there be some). Maybe a few rounds later and we're at another stock encounter. I rule that the PC has successfully Pursued and caught the goblin, but with a bit of a cost. He's made it to his other buddies in this "glue-factory" section of the dungeon map.

9) The PC catches the little goblin, but not before they emerge into the next room with a couple more goblins. Just like in DW, the PC could basically just run the little goblin through if he'd like (1-1 HD equals mook). Obviously, this choice creates the tension of pragmatism versus his Lawful Alignment. If he runs him through, I'm not going to even bother with an MR roll. Its straight to fighting or fleeing. The PC, being Lawful has a basic respect for life and said he could help before. He'll try to keep his promise. The PC decides to Parley and I let him act to see if we have some kind of positive modifier. He speaks their language, he doesn't kill the vulnerable goblin, but he leaves a threat hanging in the air with his words. Ok, I give him a +1 on top of his +1.

I roll my 2d6 +2 and consult the MR table. I get a 9. So "Possibly Friendly" and roll again after an exchange. So they listen while he quickly diffuses the situation, explains what is going on, and says how he can help. Alright, I'll give him a +2 on top of his +1 for this follow-up. We consult the "PF sub-table". I roll a 6 or more. So Friendly!

I reveal the backstory (the Dungeon Theme) that implies that this "Aliens" thing isn't something that has just emerged right at this moment. So this is clearly a situation that is haunting the compound.
Things proceed from there.

Last edited:

Remove ads