"Dust" and "Midway" - Codenames for Upcoming D&D Hardcovers

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Typically the September release has been an adventure, and the November release a rules book (Sword Coast Adventurers Guide; Volo's Guide to Monsters). WotC has been hinting at a "major rules expansion" for a while now.

My guess? Take it with a massive truckload of salt, but I'm going to guess that Dust is fey or fey wild related. Possible the thing Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward helped with. But it really is a wild guess.

"Dust"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 19 September 2017
9780786966103, 0786966106
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

"Midway"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 21 November 2017
9780786966110, 0786966114
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

Ampersand Transparent.png

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

I agree with this. Honestly, if you don't know the setting's history, there's nothing in CoS to suggest that Barovia is anything other than some weird Realms demiplane.

It's not Ravenloft the setting.
Apart from VanRichten (who is presented as the wrong class and much more of a sociopath) there's nothing really from Ravenloft the setting in Curse of Strahd. It's not really the same demiplane, and is really a variant Barovia.

Valdier

Explorer
The more I think on it, the more I start to feel it will be an Oriental Adventures type book.

With the Wu Jen, and Sohei clearly called out, psionics coming forth (with the concept that they seem to be eastern flavored magic). Several other UA subclasses seem to lean that direction as well.

It is just my suspicion though.

That's an odd picture. No place I can think of in the Forgotten Realms that exactly fits it. My guess would be somewhere in the "Shining South" region to the east of Chult, and dinosaurs have started being imported in bulk apparently.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
They know they have that pattern (Sept.=adventure, Nov.=expansion) going...and they know you all know about it.

Dust...as in the verb, "to dust [off]." Moving lots of small individual bits to reveal what's underneath. To "Unearth," in a sense.

The September release will be to the long awaited and thoroughly previewed [collected] "Unearthed Arcana" major rules expansion.

Midway...as in [the middle] part from one point to another. Something that is "Between" two other things. Often between two things that are unalike...the "midway" containing pieces of each thing is it between or a transitional space. Something else that goes "between" things...Barriers...any "barriers" that are also a partial mixture of two seperate things?

That's right, cats n' kittens. The "Midway" November release will be the adventure path this time. Built around and including in large part...say it with me... "The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks." D&D fantasy meets D&D sci-fi...the midway/combo/barrier point...Oh, and did someone mention using the psionics stuff that's undoubtedly getting introduced in the "rules expansion"? Did someone say first appearance of mind flayers? Psionics go with sci-fi like rama-lama-lama-da-dingity-dingy-dong.

Midway. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. You heard it here first.

speculart

First Post
That's an odd picture. No place I can think of in the Forgotten Realms that exactly fits it. My guess would be somewhere in the "Shining South" region to the east of Chult, and dinosaurs have started being imported in bulk apparently.

There was some talk of this on the Dragon Talk podcast and I remember thinking that they sounded like they were talking about information that was currently in conversation around watc.
I kind of ducked out during 4e so put it down to that.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads