"Dust" and "Midway" - Codenames for Upcoming D&D Hardcovers

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Typically the September release has been an adventure, and the November release a rules book (Sword Coast Adventurers Guide; Volo's Guide to Monsters). WotC has been hinting at a "major rules expansion" for a while now.

My guess? Take it with a massive truckload of salt, but I'm going to guess that Dust is fey or fey wild related. Possible the thing Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward helped with. But it really is a wild guess.

"Dust"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 19 September 2017
9780786966103, 0786966106
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

"Midway"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 21 November 2017
9780786966110, 0786966114
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

Ampersand Transparent.png

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

pukunui

Legend
For the first time I really took a look at Chult on a 4E era map of Faerun and noticed that Chult is in fact an island now, no longer a peninsula (assuming the waters didn't recede again following the Sundering.)
There is a reference to the "Chultan peninsula" in the SCAG (page 10), so I think it's safe to assume it's no longer an island. It makes sense in the context of the Sundering being all about erasing the changes made during the 4e era (and to a certain extent the 3e era as well, since Schley's maps of the Sword Coast more closely resemble the AD&D ones).

Olive

Explorer
I know that a separate unique ISBN is created for each version/edition of a book. But do ISBNs ever change prior to publication? I've been wondering that for a while.

Usually a publisher buys a group of ISBNs and then registers them once the book i confirmed/more or less ready. I guess you could de-register an ISBN but it would seem wasteful...

Midway Will be PHB2.

Dust will not be undead, giants, elementals, dragons, or demons, as each of these have been featured in a storyline thus far. We will get an aberation/far realm based adventure, but I believe we will not see this until we see the finale or right before the fifth ed finale, the adventure that all of the easter eggs in each of the books lead up to (the obelisks, for example). Personally, though, I think in the finale it will be the gods, our up to level 20 game, featuring outsiders like devils and angels, very similar to the Time of Troubles that lead to 3.0. Fairies make sense. I doubt it will be dark sun, I think they are really pushing to not have world specific adventures outside of FR.

bmfrosty

Explorer
I doubt it will be dark sun, I think they are really pushing to not have world specific adventures outside of FR.

So should I give up hope for a Ravenloft adventure then?

I think, if you look at what's been said by Mearls & Co., there's a list of just a few settings that seem like they could get attention this edition:

Forgotten Realms
Ravenloft
Eberron
Dark Sun
Planescape
Greyhawk
Dragonlance

Two of these have been touched on.

Two are easy to confuse with Forgotten Realms

Three are left that are unique and different:

Eberron
Dark Sun
Planescape

If we're going to see other settings we're going to see one of these *unless* Mearls & Co. find a way to make Greyhawk or Dragonlance *instantly* recognizable as something different than Forgotten Realms.

When we do something else, it will mostly likely be handled similarly to Ravenloft this edition. We'll get an adventure book that takes place in the other setting and in the process of doing this exposes the core tropes of the setting.

IGNORE Duplicate Post

Midway Will be PHB2. Almost certain

Dust will not be undead, giants, elementals, dragons, or demons, as each of these have been featured in a storyline thus far. We will get an aberation/far realm based adventure, but I believe we will not see this until we see the finale or right before the fifth ed finale, the adventure that all of the easter eggs in each of the books lead up to (the obelisks, for example). Personally, though, I think in the finale it will be the gods, our up to level 20 game, featuring outsiders like devils and angels, very similar to the Time of Troubles that lead to 3.0. Fairies make sense. I doubt it will be dark sun, I think they are really pushing to not have world specific adventures outside of FR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads