List of existing teleportation circles in FR cities?

Undrhil

Explorer
My Wizard recently gained access to the Teleportation Circle spell and it says that upon learning the spell, he gains access to knowledge of the sigil sequence of two teleportation circles on the Prime Material. Where can I view of list of cities that have teleportation circles and would I just choose randomly for it or ask my table DM to choose two? (I suspect the DM would choose randomly anyway.)

Yes, the spell says the DM chooses two. In this case, I think the AL admins should be making this choice since there could be story implications for having access to the sigil sequence of, say, Phlan, assuming the one in Phlan wasn't destroyed years ago during that awful dragon siege.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Rise of Tiamat mentions a teleportation circle in Waterdeep.
I think there is another mentioned in Against The Giants (but I haven't read through the book carefully, so I could be wrong).
I'm not aware of any other teleportation circles mentioned in any AL-legal material.

I would pick any two cities in the Lord's Alliance (if you are limited to the Sword Coast) or that is mentioned by name in SCAG (Myth Drannor comes to mind if you are near the Moonsea).
Then I would let my DM know this before any AL play begins, just as a courtesy.

rooneg

Adventurer
Honestly, teleportation circles are basically useless outside of ongoing campaigns, which for AL basically means the hardcover adventures. If you're playing in a regular game of one of those you should ask your DM for some useful locations, they should be able to provide them. For example, in Storm King's Thunder the Harpers have a network of teleportation circles, if your character was a Harper they could conceivably learn some of those sequences. For other adventures the DM could just pick some useful cities you will likely travel between and hand wave where the circles are (I've heard it suggested as something you might want to do to speed up travel between the various underdark cities in Out of the Abyss, for example).

If you're not playing in a regular hardcover campaign then all of this becomes really academic. The odds of a particular location being useful for a random AL one-shot adventure is super slim. They're typically not written with the assumption of lots of travel or the ability to teleport between particular cities, at least not unless the adventure itself has a way for you to accomplish this. If you're playing that sort of adventure it's not a terribly useful spell to pick up.

Cascade

First Post
Honestly, teleportation circles are basically useless outside of ongoing campaigns, which for AL basically means the hardcover adventures.

I disagree.
My high level caster (rank 10 cloak with a circle in Mulmaster) has used them very effectively to send back rescued people or things that needed to be rescued when adventuring in that area.
I've also used it to send back items with requests for information. I can send a familiar with said item(s) or letter requests and have them message me back.
I used it 2 times successfully in the Hulburg series as Mulmaster is just across the sea.

You could also technically use it offensively if your group has a way to force movement.
An example that was proposed; wall of force (sphere) really big bad guy that is concentration for 10 minutes.
Cast teleportation circle (1 min). Drop concentration on the wall and use forced movement on big bad guy to force him into the circle and teleport to some "known" circle of people / places that you don't like.

The downside is usually lost loot or items off the bad guy.

The spell has limits but you can be creative with it.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Hard to say -- prior to 4e, teleportation circles were rare, but portals (basically always-on teleportation circles that connect specific locations) were fairly common, at least once you reached a high enough level to be able to learn about them and identify their locations.

I can't say if 5e ret-conned portals into teleportation circles; it would be in-flavor, but would also deprive non-spellcasters the ability to use the portals. Note that 4e explicitly de-activated many portals, thanks to the Breaking of the Weave, but with that explanation gone as part of the Sundering, it's not clear if the portals have returned, been changed into teleportation circles, or have undergone some other change.

Ultimately, as noted elsewhere in the thread, I don't think the information will be all that useful in AL play. Also note, it is explicitly canon (based on FR novels, particularly those written by Greenwood himself) that sometimes portals/teleportation circles end up randomly malfunctioning, and some things that go through a portal don't arrive at their intended location. As a DM, I'd make use of this information if a PC tries to exploit the teleportation circle spell to 'break' an adventure.

--
Pauper

MiraMels

Explorer
Without spoiling too much, the Storm King's Daughters hardback establishes that there are permanent teleportation circles in Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Mirabar, Everlund, Yartar, and Loudwater that are associated with the Harpers.

Undrhil

Explorer
Without spoiling too much, the Storm King's Daughters hardback establishes that there are permanent teleportation circles in Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Mirabar, Everlund, Yartar, and Loudwater that are associated with the Harpers.

Lol. Well, my character isn't a Harper, so I doubt he would be able to gain access to those. :)

MiraMels

Explorer
Oh no! Well, hmm. The Adventurer's League meta-narrative has established that the Five Factions are more or less working together to face the threats you see in the modules and hardbacks, so, i think it's plausible for your character to have learned the sigil sequences of two of the circles from a Harper agent they've met in their adventures. Especially if they're a wizard.

tardigrade

Explorer

Was that a typo, or is there a tie-in novel or something to SKT coming that I wasn't aware of? I know these teleportation circles are described in SKT.

MiraMels

Explorer
Was that a typo, or is there a tie-in novel or something to SKT coming that I wasn't aware of? I know these teleportation circles are described in SKT.

Oh gosh. Typo, kind of. My group and I have been calling it that since I've expanded the focus on the court drama between Hekaton's daughters for our table. I guess it's become second nature. But yeah, no tie in novel. i meant Storm King's Thunder.

Remove ads