AU Design Diary: Spell Templates

What do you think of Spell Templates?

• I love 'em. Even if I don't play the setting I'll use them in my game.

Votes: 45 61.6%
  • I think they are ok but I need to see more as I am on the fence.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Ugh, more Monte spell stuff, count me out.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other (explained in post)

Votes: 4 5.5%

John Crichton

First Post
http://www.montecook.com/diary.html

I'm sure most of you have seen this already but I'd like to comment anyway.

I like it. It makes sense within the system and gives the magic-users a little extra punch if they want it without having to alter their whole character or take a PrC. The material cost for the tweaks makes up for the potential unbalancing effects. I likes it...

EarthsShadow

First Post
Oh Wow those are way cool!!!

I can't wait until these books come out, oh man am I going to run a sweet butt kicking AU game. D&D3.5 I was considering you but now I can honestly say forget it I'm going all AU with my money.

Monte, if you read this, I think your a genius.

A'koss

Explorer
Damn, I'm gettin' a serious AU groove goin' on here. Y'know, I may not agree with the animorphic setting he's created but the ruleset he's created is spot on. This book is absolutely on my *must have* list. :cool:

Cheers,

A'koss.

TiQuinn

I voted "Other" only because I can't base my opinion on one example. I need to read the book!

However, it sounds very cool, and very logical. I'm no fan of Metamagic feats because of their high double cost. This seems like it could be a better system. I also like the fact that it really gives you a way to customize spells so that even if two caster's use the same spell, they can have very different effects.

I am a little wary, though. I see potential for a broad selection of spell templates. Some are bound to be more powerful than others, and some may be unbalanced. Broad selection has its good points and bad points.

But I always love new ideas!

Yeoman

First Post
So far I haven't seen much that really got me interested in AU, but these templates have definitely perked my interest. I'll going to give this some serious thought when I see it in the store now. It sounds like something I'd incorporate into my normal campaign.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm another "other". Interestig concept, but I'll need to see the actual book to see if I like the overall execution.

Remove ads