AU Design Diary: Spell Templates

What do you think of Spell Templates?

• I love 'em. Even if I don't play the setting I'll use them in my game.

Votes: 45 61.6%
  • I think they are ok but I need to see more as I am on the fence.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Ugh, more Monte spell stuff, count me out.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other (explained in post)

Votes: 4 5.5%

BlackMoria

First Post
Also, Spell Templates 'stack' after a fashion.

That is to say, you can use the Battle Mage template on a spell and the Energy Mage template on the same spell.

Not every Spell Template 'stacks' with every other template - some templates require you to 'laden' the spell so you can't double 'laden' a spell but there is enough templates to give one a truly wonderful range of options for spell casting.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Interesting, really. From what we're seeing here, there really isn't that much difference between these templates and metamagic feats. In most ways, this isn't a new idea, just taken to greater lengths.

But look at how eager folks are to "steal the new idea". Hm. Why is it that none of us thought, "Hey, I'll make more interesting metamagic feats that do other stuff!"?

Mostly, I guess, 'cause we shlubs aren't as creative as we sometimes like to think. This is why we pay Monte good money for his material. :)

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
arnwyn said:
Kind of interesting. Thought the cost component was *way* too low, but that's just me.

Eh, to add a stun effect to a fireball or whatever? I disagree. How many times is an evoker going to lob something at a bad guy? Lots of times. For giggles, keep a tally of how often a wizard throws a spell that could reasonably have this template added to it in your next game. Those 30gp components add up. Plus the caster has to go out and buy the thing, etc.

True, at level 15+ it isn't a significant cost, but then that particular effect isn't as much of a deal against CR appropriate opponents.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
really like this idea, metamagic realy needed a rewrite(but 3.5 didn't have the time to playtest it:rolleyes: ) and this looks like it could be a big improvement on metamagic.

John Crichton

First Post
Umbran said:
Interesting, really. From what we're seeing here, there really isn't that much difference between these templates and metamagic feats. In most ways, this isn't a new idea, just taken to greater lengths.

But look at how eager folks are to "steal the new idea". Hm. Why is it that none of us thought, "Hey, I'll make more interesting metamagic feats that do other stuff!"?

Mostly, I guess, 'cause we shlubs aren't as creative as we sometimes like to think. This is why we pay Monte good money for his material. :)
My thoughts exactly. I am more than willing to dish out money for these kind of cool ideas and game mechanics. I also think the inspiration-factor is pretty high here as well...

Iron_Chef

First Post
Sounds like a really cool idea. Here's a variant I extrapolated from Monte's Electricity feat:

RAPTURE MAGE
The rapture mage's interests usually lie in convincing a target that its best interests lie in
becoming the mage’s intimate friend. If of a race and gender attractive to the target, the caster’s eyes and
smile promise unspeakable delights when she casts his spell.

Characters can add this template to any mind-affecting, language-dependent spell. The target
must make a Will save against the spell's original Difficulty Class or be stunned with waves of
pleasure for 1 round, in addition to the spell effects.

Spells with this template gain the [rapture] descriptor. If the spell already has the [rapture]
descriptor, the target is stunned for 2 rounds.

Cost: Material component (green gem worth at least 30 gp).

Gained: From the Mind Mage feat.

Remove ads