FAQ and True Polymorph

thethain

First Post
This post made me look at the specific true polymorph restrictions.

Fun things you can still do: Permanently polymorph your familiar into a tressym. If you have an Imp familiar, permanently polymorph into anything CR1, my favorite is Dryad since its charm ability isnt an attack, or an acolyte, for bless.

Transform a large inanimate object into an invisible stalker or clay golem. Both of these creatures state they have a permanent bond to their creator.

rooneg

Adventurer
This subforum was opened by request of the AL admins. One of them is the moderator of it, again by their request.

I'm well aware that they swing by here occasionally, but I watch every post here and most of the posts on the AL Facebook Group and it's WAY more common to see an admin ruling on something there.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Transform a large inanimate object into an invisible stalker or clay golem. Both of these creatures state they have a permanent bond to their creator.

Note that a DM can rule that the text of True Polymorph ("If the spell becomes permanent, you no longer control the creature.") overrides the general rules of those two monsters.

--
Pauper

thethain

First Post
Note that a DM can rule that the text of True Polymorph ("If the spell becomes permanent, you no longer control the creature.") overrides the general rules of those two monsters.

--
Pauper

Always DMs gonna DM, but I think outside of an official ruling, the statement of that text of the spell is referring to the control granted by the spell itself. Specifically the fact that it acts on your turn, and you directly control it. Most creatures, even conjured ones, are supposed to roll their own initiative, and the DM controls them to follow the players commands as best they can. However many DMs cede this control to allow players to directly control the creatures as a matter of convenience.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Always DMs gonna DM, but I think outside of an official ruling, the statement of that text of the spell is referring to the control granted by the spell itself. Specifically the fact that it acts on your turn, and you directly control it.

Cheesy players gonna pursue cheese, but the 'direct control' granted by True Polymorph is limited to you choosing how the creature moves and acts on your turn. The DM still determines the effect of those actions, not you.

Example: You True Polymorph a creature into a T-Rex and have it attack its former allies. Though the creature is friendly to you (by the spell's description), and performs those actions (also by the spell's description), the DM rolls the dice and determines the outcome of those actions. The DM may also decide incidental choices made by the creature, such as whether to strike lethally or non-lethally with a blow that reduces an opponent to 0 hit points; the spell does not explicitly state that you 'control' all aspects of the Polymorphed creature.

--
Pauper

Remove ads