FAQ and True Polymorph

Undrhil

Explorer
Based on the reading of the Guidance given for True Polymorph ... if I cast TP on a High-Elf Wizard, turning them into a Half-Orc and let the time elapse, they are stuck as a Half-Orc and are still legally able to play. Correct?

As long as it's a race or creature allowed in their character creation, then it's okay. But a High Elf Wizard (Bladesinger) that is turned into a Half Orc is out of luck until the True Polymorph is dispelled.

rooneg

Adventurer
As long as it's a race or creature allowed in their character creation, then it's okay. But a High Elf Wizard (Bladesinger) that is turned into a Half Orc is out of luck until the True Polymorph is dispelled.

That's not the way I read the FAQ guidance. Specifically, look at where it talks about Reincarnate. Being reincarnated into some other race doesn't preclude you from progressing in classes you had before, so I don't see why True Polymorph would.

That's not the way I read the FAQ guidance. Specifically, look at where it talks about Reincarnate. Being reincarnated into some other race doesn't preclude you from progressing in classes you had before, so I don't see why True Polymorph would.

Here's what it says...

Dragons Aren’t Allowed in Town?!
A character that ends an adventure as a race or creature not otherwise available through their character creation rules is removed from play until the effects of the true polymorph spell are dispelled.

Permanence Isn’t Just a Number.
A true polymorph upon which concentration has been maintained for the entirety of its duration becomes a permanent spell. As a permanent spell, it can still be dispelled and its effects removed.

So a Bladesinger (Elf Only) ends an adventure as a Half-Orc. It is then removed from play until the effects of True Polymorph are dispelled. How else do you interpret this?

rooneg

Adventurer
Here's what it says...

Dragons Aren’t Allowed in Town?!
A character that ends an adventure as a race or creature not otherwise available through their character creation rules is removed from play until the effects of the true polymorph spell are dispelled.

Permanence Isn’t Just a Number.
A true polymorph upon which concentration has been maintained for the entirety of its duration becomes a permanent spell. As a permanent spell, it can still be dispelled and its effects removed.

So a Bladesinger (Elf Only) ends an adventure as a Half-Orc. It is then removed from play until the effects of True Polymorph are dispelled. How else do you interpret this?

I'm not convinced that this is the intended result considering that the answer for reincarnate has such different implications (and I've seen people talking with admins on Facebook about bladesinger dwarves via reincarnate, and the admins seemed fine with it). It seems weird that reincarnate would allow these sort of combinations but True Polymorph would not. If I was actually playing such a character and wanted to try the True Polymorph thing to switch races I'd at least ask on Facebook to see if the difference was intended.

There's a difference between 'asking on Facebook' and something in the official FAQ. As a DM I'll listen to what a player tells me was 'said on Facebook' but my discretion would be final. However the FAQ is canon. Is there something in the FAQ I missed about Reincarnate?

rooneg

Adventurer
There's a difference between 'asking on Facebook' and something in the official FAQ. As a DM I'll listen to what a player tells me was 'said on Facebook' but my discretion would be final. However the FAQ is canon. Is there something in the FAQ I missed about Reincarnate?

The FAQ section on Reincarnate says the following:

FAQ said:
What if I get Reincarnated?

If your character is killed and subsequently reincarnated, the DM must roll on the table provided in the reincarnate spell’s description—they may not choose the race you return as. You may continue to advance in whatever classes you possessed normally; your new race doesn’t preclude you from advancing in an archetype you already possess.

As for asking on Facebook vs seeing it in the FAQ you are preaching to the choir. I'd love to see the FAQ instantly updated as well, but in practice it's updated on a 3-6 month time lag, and the admins answering questions on facebook in the official AL groups is how you get an official answer between now and when the next FAQ update happens.

All I can think of is that the True Poly rule is to keep players from continuing to advance as a Greater Devil or the like while Reincarnate is already bounded by permissible permutations.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.

Half-Orc is in the Player's Handbook, thus it is available to all characters during character creation. The character would not be retired, since half-orc is a legal option at character creation.

However, since AL only allows elves or half-elves to advance as bladesingers, the character would be unable to take a level of wizard when leveling up until the True Polymorph is dispelled.

Note that when you create your character, 'bladesinger' is not really an option -- you don't choose your wizard school/focus until level 3. (You might build your character with the plan to become a bladesinger at level 3, but that's not really a 'character creation option' by AL rules - review page 3 of the ALPG.) So something restricted by a class, race, or other option that doesn't restrict the character at level 1 doesn't restrict the character's character creation options. (Example: choosing to be a Volo's monster race prevents you from taking an EEPG spell at first level, since the choice of Volo's Guide as the '+1' locks out the EEPG.) The character could have been built as a half-orc, but wouldn't have advanced as a bladesinger. That it's a bladesinger now doesn't mean it wasn't legal to have been a half-orc at level 1.

--
Pauper

Last edited:

rooneg

Adventurer
All I can think of is that the True Poly rule is to keep players from continuing to advance as a Greater Devil or the like while Reincarnate is already bounded by permissible permutations.

Oh, I'm sure that's the intention, I'm just not sure they intended to outlaw more innocuous stuff like True Polymorphing your Bladesinger into a Half Orc.

Remove ads