FAQ and True Polymorph

Undrhil

Explorer
I wasn't really thinking of the class. But would True Polymorph be able to change stats and class? Could I use TP to change a Half-elf Wizard into a Half-Orc Barbarian, with appropriate stats for such? If I wanted to forever "rebuild" my Level 17 Wizard, could I use TP to do it? I mean, it would be pretty permanent if I changed him away from being able to cast Level 9 spells, but would it allow me to change class at all?

Or is this now in the purview of the General D&D 5e board? :D

rooneg

Adventurer
I seem to recall that Reincarnate changes your racial modifiers, so maybe True Polymorph would as well for a PC legal race? It's a really weird case.

Half-Orc is in the Player's Handbook, thus it is available to all characters during character creation. The character would not be retired, since half-orc is a legal option at character creation.

However, since AL only allows elves or half-elves to advance as bladesingers, the character would be unable to take a level of wizard when leveling up until the True Polymorph is dispelled.

Note that when you create your character, 'bladesinger' is not really an option -- you don't choose your wizard school/focus until level 3. (You might build your character with the plan to become a bladesinger at level 3, but that's not really a 'character creation option' by AL rules - review page 3 of the ALPG.) So something restricted by a class, race, or other option that doesn't restrict the character at level 1 doesn't restrict the character's character creation options. (Example: choosing to be a Volo's monster race prevents you from taking an EEPG spell at first level, since the choice of Volo's Guide as the '+1' locks out the EEPG.) The character could have been built as a half-orc, but wouldn't have advanced as a bladesinger. That it's a bladesinger now doesn't mean it wasn't legal to have been a half-orc at level 1.

--
Pauper

It depends if you consider character creation a static thing at 1st level or the whole chain of character advancement since you are constantly creating your character as they level. Good thing to get clarification about.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
It depends if you consider character creation a static thing at 1st level or the whole chain of character advancement since you are constantly creating your character as they level. Good thing to get clarification about.

While that would be a good thing to get clarification about, the question has no bearing on the True Polymorph issue being discussed -- as noted, since Half-Orc is in the Player's Handbook, it is always available as a character creation option, since the PH is always allowed. If the PC were True Polymorphed into a race that isn't in its 'PH+1' options, such as a PH+SCAG bladesinger Polymorphed into a hobgoblin from Volo's Guide, then the question would be more directly applicable.

The question being posited by a Half-Orc bladesinger is this: is a non-elf bladesinger or non-dwarf battlerager unplayable, or is it simply not allowed to continue advancing in that class? It should be noted, though, that if you are reincarnated as a non-elf or non-dwarf, you are not prevented from continuing to advance as a bladesinger or battlerager -- the FAQ explicitly allows for non-elf bladesingers via reincarnation, so I could see an argument justifying that True Polymorph, as another spell that can change a PC's race, would also not prevent the character from continuing to be a bladesinger. On the other hand, the rule in 5e is generally 'a game effect states what it does, and if it doesn't state something, it doesn't do that something' -- by this reasoning, the guidance for Reincarnate does not necessarily apply to True Polymorph, since they are different spells with different game effects. (As another example of the distinction between the spells -- the race of a character that is subjected to True Polymorph is chosen by the caster, while the race of a character that is subjected to Reincarnate is determined randomly by the DM. There is much less potential for abuse with the latter spell, so it makes sense that the rules related to preventing its abuse would be less strict.)

--
Pauper

rooneg

Adventurer
While that would be a good thing to get clarification about, the question has no bearing on the True Polymorph issue being discussed -- as noted, since Half-Orc is in the Player's Handbook, it is always available as a character creation option, since the PH is always allowed. If the PC were True Polymorphed into a race that isn't in its 'PH+1' options, such as a PH+SCAG bladesinger Polymorphed into a hobgoblin from Volo's Guide, then the question would be more directly applicable.

The question being posited by a Half-Orc bladesinger is this: is a non-elf bladesinger or non-dwarf battlerager unplayable, or is it simply not allowed to continue advancing in that class? It should be noted, though, that if you are reincarnated as a non-elf or non-dwarf, you are not prevented from continuing to advance as a bladesinger or battlerager -- the FAQ explicitly allows for non-elf bladesingers via reincarnation, so I could see an argument justifying that True Polymorph, as another spell that can change a PC's race, would also not prevent the character from continuing to be a bladesinger. On the other hand, the rule in 5e is generally 'a game effect states what it does, and if it doesn't state something, it doesn't do that something' -- by this reasoning, the guidance for Reincarnate does not necessarily apply to True Polymorph, since they are different spells with different game effects. (As another example of the distinction between the spells -- the race of a character that is subjected to True Polymorph is chosen by the caster, while the race of a character that is subjected to Reincarnate is determined randomly by the DM. There is much less potential for abuse with the latter spell, so it makes sense that the rules related to preventing its abuse would be less strict.)

--
Pauper

I think this is one of those "you could reasonably argue both ways, if you actually care you should get guidance from an AL admin before you try it" sort of cases.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I think this is one of those "you could reasonably argue both ways, if you actually care you should get guidance from an AL admin before you try it" sort of cases.

Or you could turn it on its head and just say 'run it however you like, since there's no official guidance' and leave it up to the affected player to determine if he's going to be able to play his character at any given table.

--
Pauper

rooneg

Adventurer
Or you could turn it on its head and just say 'run it however you like, since there's no official guidance' and leave it up to the affected player to determine if he's going to be able to play his character at any given table.

Absolutely, if you don't care about table portability and your DM is fine with it then go to town, do what you want.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a pretty bad place to look for an admin ruling. While admins do occasionally swing by here, they are WAY more commonly seen posting on the D&D Adventurers League Facebook Group.

This subforum was opened by request of the AL admins. One of them is the moderator of it, again by their request.

Remove ads