How would you build Odin

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
OK an element i have been ignoring... what would be the most awesome Tacticians Sword?

The ultimate warlord sword...

I may have misremembered it looks like it was more a prophecy that connected the loss of
this weapon with All of the Aesirs down fall it may not have been Odin himself but rather Freyr who lost it and for whom it guaranteed victory.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There is some connection to the Horned god in some of the presentations...
odin.jpg

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Freyr might be a great Bard sometimes presented as a teacher and portrayed unarmored or even naked as a jay bird so meh, and god of beauty and lust he was ironically over come by love he gives the Sword of Victory which is said to Swing Itself as a bride price ...alah a Dancing Sword he improvises successfully in a later battle after losing it with an Antler when the Sword is lost to some great effect defeating a majojr enemy so he might have been one of those look I am not dependent on the weapon types (except mayhaps by prophecy) perhaps Arena Fighter? He rides a Giant Boar.

Quersin

First Post
A little late to this (I just stumbled across it while looking for similar ideas for a pathfinder Odin. You can legitimately build Odin using nearly any class with all the stories written about him and could probably pull it off, but in this build I think the glaring error is the low constitution score. Odin’s Constitution should be one of his highest, if not the highest attribute. This is a being who plucked out his own eye and hung on a tree pierces by a spear for nine days without food or water. You could argue that this was a display of willpower, and that likely helped, but I would increase his will with feats over an especially high wisdom, which I honestly believe would not be inherently remarkable. Odin displays a canny and crafty mind (intelligence), but great wisdom would have shown him that his attempts to know and avert his own fate was hastening it’s arrival.

Overall I do like the build. This was a pretty good take on him.

Made some changes that really killed durability hopefully all that polearm reach control will keep enemies from getting close but the changes also cranked some real flavorful utility upwards... absolutely needed nature trained for most of his rituals and apparently neither warlords or swordmages do that kind of thing. But Odin as an explorer certainly sounds good.

but having ritual caster in there really pumps some flavor including allowing

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Odin Spear Lord, level 16
Genasi, Swordmage|Warlord, Polearm Master
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Will
Hybrid Talent: Commanding Presence (Hybrid)
Commanding Presence (Hybrid): Tactical Presence (Hybrid)
Student of the Sword: Student of Two-Handed Weapons
Elemental Manifestation: Stormsoul
Background: Explorer/Guide (Explorer/Guide Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 9, Dex 15, Int 20, Wis 15, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 8, Dex 14, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 29 Fort: 27 Reflex: 28 Will: 25
HP: 97 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +19, Intimidate +15, Arcana +18, Athletics +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +9, Heal +10, History +13, Insight +13, Perception +10, Religion +13, Stealth +10, Streetwise +8, Thievery +10

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Longhand Student
Level 4: Tactical Assault
Level 6: Ritual Caster
Level 8: Polearm Flanker
Level 10: Student of the Sword
Level 11: Spear Push
Level 12: Polearm Momentum
Level 14: Polearm Gamble
Level 16: Impaling Spear

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Arcane Lance
Hybrid at-will 1: Viper's Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Crackling Burst
Hybrid daily 1: Lead the Attack
Hybrid utility 2: Cunning Adjustment
Hybrid encounter 3: Hold the Line
Hybrid daily 5: Lingering Lightning
Hybrid utility 6: Swordmage's Decree
Hybrid encounter 7: Thunderclap Strike
Hybrid daily 9: Iron Dragon Charge
Hybrid utility 10: Spider's Leap
Hybrid encounter 13: Invitational Assault (replaces Crackling Burst)
Hybrid daily 15: Free the Storm Within (replaces Lingering Lightning)
Hybrid utility 16: White Raven Formation

ITEMS
Greater Medallion of the Mind +3, Adventurer's Kit, Farbond Spellblade Glaive +5, Stormwalker's Cloak +3, Summoned Snakeskin Armor +4
RITUALS
Phantom Steed, Alarm, Arcane Mark, Animal Messenger, Portend Weather, Explosive Runes, Last Sight Vision, Preservation, Summon Winds, Wind Words, Hand of Fate, Travelers' Feast, Change Self, Speak with Dead, Sundered Skies, Raise Dead, Remove Affliction, Seeming, Control Weather, Far Sending, Walk Crossroads
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A little late to this

Welcome! and it doesn't matter to me fun is fun delayed or not.

I think self sacrifice is as likely to demonstrate de-emphasizing or undermining the thing you sacrifice (some of that hanging from the tree bit may have been added during the Christian ummm invasion to be a Christ reflection arguably perhaps he became less physical depleted by that hanging... ie In my version above we will say it was a trade.

If you wanted to emphasize that gambit as representing he has that super Con and "I totally do get it" perhaps a version with the Thane Barbarian mixed with a touch of Con based Warlock?

His will you mentioned could also be an aspect of supernal spirit (Charisma) if you wanted to emphasize that angle this would also bring out that creativity idea ie sometimes presented as the inventor of the runes.

I do tend to see Odins magic like sending thought and memory to purvey the world or sending his eye into time to send him dark visions of the future as being massively mental. Heros often rebel against the assertion of a future that isn't determined by their own acts and there own will, especially those where the Will in question is a function of Charismatic Spirit (this is the will which rebels and is individualistic - see Qui Gon Jin instead of Yoda)

Do present a version if you like ;) , i find this stuff inspiring.

Last edited:

Remove ads