How would you build Odin

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
For one thing if I have that much lightning I don't need so much using Gungnir, as Gungnir is the lightning.

And them pole arm functionality seems really heavily FEAT expensive

That might have been @TonyVargas complaint if I remember its feat intensive and doesn't kick in till Paragon.

Last edited:

darkbard

Legend
Easy enough to go Sentinel|Wizard as MwaO suggests and then pick up MC Swordmage and lightning glaive to convert all damage to lightning, no?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Seems too fighty for an Odin, who feels more like a Leader|Controller with ritual casting to me. I'd build him as a Sentinel|Wizard who has a Zephyr that counts as the two ravens.
Arguably Odin is a War god so I think the Warlord brings that to the table as well as a death and renewal god (Sentinel spring Druid gives a nice Wolf friend). His sword was real warlordish too.. but less well known than the Rune Spear.

i would like to see more details about your idea cause I do think there is room for many takes on the character.

Odin was certainly an inventor of Runes so his making magic is definitely in the picture but the guise of the old man looking like a one eyed Gandalf leaning on a staff and sponsoring mortal heros with gifts and prophecy feels more of a guise than the real picture.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Odin is a god of Death, poetic inspiration, magic, a trickster, a charmer, source of berserker rage, and a War God, and arguably the most lethal of the gods. He should definately be "fighty", imo. I think what he needs is the capacity for a really brutal nova gank. Odin should be able to charm his enemy into bed with him, learn their secrets, make them think he is their friend, and destroy them with a single attack. In a balanced game, that is hard to do, but you can get close with a nova striker build.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Made some changes that really killed durability hopefully all that polearm reach control will keep enemies from getting close but the changes also cranked some real flavorful utility upwards... absolutely needed nature trained for most of his rituals and apparently neither warlords or swordmages do that kind of thing. But Odin as an explorer certainly sounds good.

but having ritual caster in there really pumps some flavor including allowing

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Odin Spear Lord, level 16
Genasi, Swordmage|Warlord, Polearm Master
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Will
Hybrid Talent: Commanding Presence (Hybrid)
Commanding Presence (Hybrid): Tactical Presence (Hybrid)
Student of the Sword: Student of Two-Handed Weapons
Elemental Manifestation: Stormsoul
Background: Explorer/Guide (Explorer/Guide Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 9, Dex 15, Int 20, Wis 15, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 8, Dex 14, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 29 Fort: 27 Reflex: 28 Will: 25
HP: 97 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +19, Intimidate +15, Arcana +18, Athletics +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +9, Heal +10, History +13, Insight +13, Perception +10, Religion +13, Stealth +10, Streetwise +8, Thievery +10

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Longhand Student
Level 4: Tactical Assault
Level 6: Ritual Caster
Level 8: Polearm Flanker
Level 10: Student of the Sword
Level 11: Spear Push
Level 12: Polearm Momentum
Level 14: Polearm Gamble
Level 16: Impaling Spear

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Arcane Lance
Hybrid at-will 1: Viper's Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Crackling Burst
Hybrid daily 1: Lead the Attack
Hybrid utility 2: Cunning Adjustment
Hybrid encounter 3: Hold the Line
Hybrid daily 5: Lingering Lightning
Hybrid utility 6: Swordmage's Decree
Hybrid encounter 7: Thunderclap Strike
Hybrid daily 9: Iron Dragon Charge
Hybrid utility 10: Spider's Leap
Hybrid encounter 13: Invitational Assault (replaces Crackling Burst)
Hybrid daily 15: Free the Storm Within (replaces Lingering Lightning)
Hybrid utility 16: White Raven Formation

ITEMS
Greater Medallion of the Mind +3, Adventurer's Kit, Farbond Spellblade Glaive +5, Stormwalker's Cloak +3, Summoned Snakeskin Armor +4
RITUALS
Phantom Steed, Alarm, Arcane Mark, Animal Messenger, Portend Weather, Explosive Runes, Last Sight Vision, Preservation, Summon Winds, Wind Words, Hand of Fate, Travelers' Feast, Change Self, Speak with Dead, Sundered Skies, Raise Dead, Remove Affliction, Seeming, Control Weather, Far Sending, Walk Crossroads
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Here is a pic of Mwao's
Odin odin_by_ezekielcrowe-d2e1kxz.png

But there are also
03ddc3803ce2f9a93734f470fb853375.jpg

ca24ba48a3d62dd56e8699fd0cc9fce9.jpg

review_odin_1.jpg

Some are very barbarian ummm dare I say Thane looking odins to go along with that Berzerkergang Including a very familiar old one

Odin-Riding-Forth.jpg

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Easy enough to go Sentinel|Wizard as MwaO suggests and then pick up MC Swordmage and lightning glaive to convert all damage to lightning, no?
i am thinking a dabble of Swordmage is indeed all that is needed though I was tempted by the Strength Int line up for the Tact Lord aspect and already existing lightning flavor magics in the swordmage, and for the glaive implement.(might have preferred a spear because throwable becomes built in.)

Now that lightning weapon enchantment is pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Odin is a god of Death, poetic inspiration, magic, a trickster, a charmer, source of berserker rage, and a War God, and arguably the most lethal of the gods. He should definately be "fighty", imo. I think what he needs is the capacity for a really brutal nova gank. Odin should be able to charm his enemy into bed with him, learn their secrets, make them think he is their friend, and destroy them with a single attack. In a balanced game, that is hard to do, but you can get close with a nova striker build.

Lots of the Trickster elements were even more his adopted son and similar things but yes Bardic bits is certainly a potential element and Berserkergang way appropriate.... I am thinking a Thane barbarian might be the starting point for your idea

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Arguably I should be building Epic for Odin, although my reflex is to design "how low can you go". With that in mind I should be able to recover durability for the Tact-lord /Swordmages Gungnir Polearm Master version by being more patient with some of polearm feats.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One of the the characters i have collected which goes along with the Barbarian theme for Odin is this Thor.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Thor, level 26
Human, Barbarian, Building Thunder, Demigod
Build: Thunderborn Barbarian
Feral Might: Thunderborn Wrath
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Strength
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Constitution
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power
Background: Brother in Battle, Early Life - Divine Companionship, Veteran of a Religious War (Brother in Battle Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 25, Con 23, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 29 Fort: 33 Reflex: 30 Will: 27
HP: 188 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 47

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +19, Intimidate +21, Endurance +27, Athletics +25

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +13, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +14, Heal +14, History +13, Insight +14, Perception +14, Religion +13, Stealth +16, Streetwise +16, Thievery +16

FEATS
Human: Weapon Proficiency (Craghammer)
Level 1: Weapon Focus (Hammer)
Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)
Level 4: Power Attack
Level 6: Thunderborn Rage
Level 8: Whisper's Advice
Level 10: Action Surge
Level 11: Devastating Critical
Level 12: Overwhelming Critical
Level 14: Point-Blank Shot
Level 16: Distant Shot
Level 18: Unfailing Courage
Level 20: Hammer Rhythm
Level 21: Perfect Recovery
Level 22: Bludgeon Mastery
Level 24: Triumphant Attack
Level 26: Superior Initiative

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Devastating Strike
Bonus At-Will Power: Howling Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Shout of Terror
Barbarian daily 1: Thunder Hooves Rage
Barbarian utility 2: Ominous Threat
Barbarian encounter 3: Brutal Slam
Barbarian daily 5: Vengeful Storm Rage
Barbarian utility 6: Combat Surge
Barbarian encounter 7: Blood Sacrifice
Barbarian daily 9: Oak Hammer Rage
Barbarian utility 10: Barbaric Instinct
Barbarian encounter 13: Thunderfall (replaces Shout of Terror)
Barbarian daily 15: Thunderfury Rage (replaces Thunder Hooves Rage)
Barbarian utility 16: Battle Lust
Barbarian encounter 17: Threatening Fury (replaces Brutal Slam)
Barbarian daily 19: Storm Drake Rage (replaces Vengeful Storm Rage)
Barbarian utility 22: Brutal Payback
Barbarian encounter 23: Arcing Throw (replaces Blood Sacrifice)
Barbarian daily 25: Stone Tempest Rage (replaces Oak Hammer Rage)

ITEMS
Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier), Crimson Cloak +5, Circlet of Clear Thought (paragon tier), Quickstride Boots (paragon tier), Rampaging Slayer's Gloves (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit, Dawn Warrior Stalkerhide Armor +5, Goblin Totem Craghammer +6
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Last edited:

Remove ads