Could Trance be a ritual instead of a racial.

I thought making the healing surge optional was kind of an elegant way to have practice with a cost which is "less than" a surge.

Yeah, that's a reasonable option. In HoML checks normally have one of 4 possible results (Critical Failure, Failure, Success, Critical Success) so you could just give someone 'Success' for a surge. If you want SUPER success, the one with special sauce, well, you have to take a chance! OTOH I'm not sure how those levels work into SCs exactly.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, that's a reasonable option. In HoML checks normally have one of 4 possible results (Critical Failure, Failure, Success, Critical Success) so you could just give someone 'Success' for a surge. If you want SUPER success, the one with special sauce, well, you have to take a chance! OTOH I'm not sure how those levels work into SCs exactly.
Penalizing for putting special effort in to it?? because it makes sense you cannot get the best results when you dig really deep???
Hmmmm

There is the gambling before and after though ... ie I rolled a failure so I spend a healing surge and bop it up one.. or before I roll I spend my price and get 2 bops... hmmm guess that doesnt work without more scales on your success range.

In my trance one I made it only after and the best achievable would only be with the effort but without the extra effort it might end up good enough

Last edited:

Penalizing for putting special effort in to it?? because it makes sense you cannot get the best results when you dig really deep???
Hmmmm

There is the gambling before and after though ... ie I rolled a failure so I spend a healing surge and bop it up one.. or before I roll I spend my price and get 2 bops... hmmm guess that doesnt work without more scales on your success range.

In my trance one I made it only after and the best achievable would only be with the effort but without the extra effort it might end up good enough

Yeah, you can do it that way, raise the success level by one for a surge after the fact.

I dunno, I'm not totally satisfied with any of the options, but I'm sure some work better than others...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, you can do it that way, raise the success level by one for a surge after the fact.

I dunno, I'm not totally satisfied with any of the options, but I'm sure some work better than others...

Hmm if you add a spectacular success that notches things up to effectively a higher tier could work at heroic and paragon levels I suppose. Rather like when we were discussing Breaching Ram and having it address scaleable substances you can then have a heroic or paragon class of the ability .... but Epic?

Hmm if you add a spectacular success that notches things up to effectively a higher tier could work at heroic and paragon levels I suppose. Rather like when we were discussing Breaching Ram and having it address scaleable substances you can then have a heroic or paragon class of the ability .... but Epic?

Why not? At epic you do something stupid crazy. Anyway, what I had in mind was you could bring it up from say 'Success' to 'Critical Success', which is pretty cool, but OTOH at the cost of a surge its kinda expensive. Yes, that could be a pretty awesome effect at Epic, but then again you're just that awesome.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Anyway, what I had in mind was you could bring it up from say 'Success' to 'Critical Success', which is pretty cool, but OTOH at the cost of a surge its kinda expensive.

Yes the healing surge cost definitely needs to be worth the bang for instance the trance example needs to really save the party from being surprised and taking some real harm OR it needs to enable the party to travel longer in the day? thereby increasing the effective overland travel rate when they really need it (Assumes the whole party can do it) OR something like that.

Yes the healing surge cost definitely needs to be worth the bang for instance the trance example needs to really save the party from being surprised and taking some real harm OR it needs to enable the party to travel longer in the day? thereby increasing the effective overland travel rate when they really need it (Assumes the whole party can do it) OR something like that.

Yeah, well, again, if I invoke my "checks only happen during conflicts" principle then I would only care about this if there was a serious danger of something bad happening or some goal could be achieved by using the trance. This effectively means it would be a part of an SC. I think it is reasonably well established that an HS for an auto-success in an SC, or at least an advantage in one, is pretty reasonable.

So, with that in mind, I think "Spend an HS to move the level of success up one" works. In HoML that is basically equivalent to getting a +5 on a check. Another option would be 5e-style Advantage.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, well, again, if I invoke my "checks only happen during conflicts" principle then I would only care about this if there was a serious danger of something bad happening or some goal could be achieved by using the trance.

You could even get an idea of the norm by looking at the take 10 result just for flavor text transition...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

One way of doing this might be if the practice sleeping with one eye open (western flavor) only actually cost a healing surge if your sleep time was interrupted. ;)

One way of doing this might be if the practice sleeping with one eye open (western flavor) only actually cost a healing surge if your sleep time was interrupted. ;)

Yeah, that might be a general concept "Detect Magic: If there's any magic within XYZ squares, pay one Healing Surge and you learn its exact location and keywords." ;)

Remove ads