D&D 5E Mage Hand + Lay On Hands = ranged heal?

faria

First Post
I'm trying to optimize a Paladin healer. Can a Paladin with access to the Mage Hand cantrip use it to apply Lay On Hands to heal at range?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Sorry, Mage Hand doesn't deliver touch spells/effects. It's not you, it's a conjured hand.

I've seen clerics with magic initiate get Find Familiar to deliver touch spells, but that's specific to spells so it wouldn't apply to Lay on Hands.

That said, ask your DM for permission. It's not game breaking and would be a cool spin. And most player don't feel like you're getting unfair goodies when all you're asking for is a better chance to heal them.

kalani

First Post
Mage hand doesn't count as you for the purpose of spell origins. It is a separate entity that you have conjured. As such no, you cannot cast touch spells through your mage hand. You can however, cast spells through your familiar if you have one.

To see what I mean, please compare the text of Find Familiar and Mage Hand. Note how FF clearly states that you can treat the familiar as the origin for spells.

Vulf

First Post
If you have some levels of Sorcerer for Metamagic you can cast Cure Wounds with Distant Spell at 30' or Twin it for 2 targets.

Or with Quicken, you can cast a spell as a bonus action to keep your regular action for Lay on Hands.

Multiclass Bard and you can get Healing Word. Healing Word has a range of 60' I think. And it is a bonus action to cast, and can be twinned as well.

Remove ads