D&D General BG3 Honor Mode Tips And Tricks.

As I said I've spent 120k in Act 3.
I somewhat doubt you actually had to. I think you might have been spending somewhat mindlessly, barging into Act 3 and immediately buying every possible item, and just accumulating cash for the rest of the chapter. That's 30k per character for 4-person party, and I am skeptical those costs were legitimate. I'd need to see a breakdown to believe it.

Zardnaar

Legend
I somewhat doubt you actually had to. I think you might have been spending somewhat mindlessly, barging into Act 3 and immediately buying every possible item, and just accumulating cash for the rest of the chapter. That's 30k per character for 4-person party, and I am skeptical those costs were legitimate. I'd need to see a breakdown to believe it.

I bought pretty much every decent item from all the vendors plus scrolls, potions, arrows and alchemy supplies.

So every character was well equipped plus 3 hirelings.

Didn't have to do it true but I had the cash.

Life cleric was packing maskeshar and scrolls of chainlightning, disintegrate etc.

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm only about 70% done with Act 1 (Arcane Tower, Matron Spider, and Crech remain) on honor mode, but the most important thing for me so far has been remembering to treat it like a tabletop session, not a video game. Seems obvious, but because there are no take backs, I really have to get into that same mindset of what happens, happens, so be sure of what you do before you do it. Think about the tools you have at your disposal, and get into/ stay in fights only when you're sure you'll win.

And of course I'm already planning my next HM run. Want to do one where I play only Laz, Shart, Ast and Gale for the entire game. No hirelings, no other playable characters, just your standard adventuring party trying to save the world.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm only about 70% done with Act 1 (Arcane Tower, Matron Spider, and Crech remain) on honor mode, but the most important thing for me so far has been remembering to treat it like a tabletop session, not a video game. Seems obvious, but because there are no take backs, I really have to get into that same mindset of what happens, happens, so be sure of what you do before you do it. Think about the tools you have at your disposal, and get into/ stay in fights only when you're sure you'll win.

And of course I'm already planning my next HM run. Want to do one where I play only Laz, Shart, Ast and Gale for the entire game. No hirelings, no other playable characters, just your standard adventuring party trying to save the world.

1st HM playthrough? Arcane Tiwer xen ve rough at least the boss.

16. BACK AWAY! This is such an obvious tactic but it bears repeating. Run away from fights and draw them back into choke points. An overwhelming number of enemies will give chase and run into unfavorable conditions, which can be used to butcher them.
I just want to highlight this because it is a VERY IMPORTANT bit of advice for HM and VERY GOOD advice. Several fights which were like, kind of annoying on Balanced and Tactician were trivial on HM because I did this.

You can pull enemies like it's an old MMORPG - just have someone tough like Karlach sneak up and throw something at them - do not use the Returning Pike for this - for some reason it doesn't always return when thrown out of combat. Anyway throw then retreat towards the party, hopefully with some kind of door or bridge or whatever to force the enemies through a narrow area which you can drop horrible effects like Cloud of Daggers, Hunger of Hadar, and so on on, and force the enemies to path through it whilst you kill 'em.

Zardnaar

Legend
I just want to highlight this because it is a VERY IMPORTANT bit of advice for HM and VERY GOOD advice. Several fights which were like, kind of annoying on Balanced and Tactician were trivial on HM because I did this.

You can pull enemies like it's an old MMORPG - just have someone tough like Karlach sneak up and throw something at them - do not use the Returning Pike for this - for some reason it doesn't always return when thrown out of combat. Anyway throw then retreat towards the party, hopefully with some kind of door or bridge or whatever to force the enemies through a narrow area which you can drop horrible effects like Cloud of Daggers, Hunger of Hadar, and so on on, and force the enemies to path through it whilst you kill 'em.

That's like tactical or something.

Pays off early game Hunger of Hadar and spike growth are very OP.

HoH well into late gane espicially if it's coming from characters who are not primary casters.

Spike growth via Rangers as well mid game still useful.

plecostomus

Villager
1st HM playthrough? Arcane Tiwer xen ve rough at least the boss.

You can bring Glut and Bulette for that fight if you Long Rest at the top of the tower with both in your party. Provided you collected all the sussur flowers and place them on the floor next to the extra enemies before starting, the only thing you have to fight is the boss. Also the boss's Legendary Action will chain to and damage the extra enemies, so have a ranged character stand next to one and shoot the boss at the top of the round if you want to reduce your time spent a bit.

If you want, there is also an interaction between the Bulette's knockdown effect and a Cleric's Command:Halt spell. If the boss failed the save on Command, it can't get up again after Bulette knocks it prone. I don't remember what my WIS was at, but my Command:Halt had a 75% success rate on that boss. It is also very good for the Owlbear(s).

You can also start with Command: Drop and then steal the boss's weapon off the floor to remove it from consideration.

Remove ads