D&D 5E Suggest A Tav/Party BG3 Honor Mode

Zardnaar

Legend
Go for the Abserd Achievement, focusing on having as much HP, AC, and damage retaliation items as possible (including Tempest Cleric).

You can stack a frightening number of them, some triggering on hit, others on miss, and being Abserd gives you lots of class specific dialog solutions. Being a staggering bucket of HP also helps survive Honor Mode.

It's weird, but strangely effective.

The Abjurer 11/Cold Sorcerer1 does that.

ECMO3

Hero
So I'm early Act 3 with a charisma based Tav (hags hair +1 charisma). Last tav was a dexterity based champion fighter, one before that a shadow assassin, one before that a wisdom build (duiid into Fighter/Cleric iirc).

Various followers have been the power builds (TB throwers, TB monk)

I'm thinking of a dual wielder or spore Druid or necromancer. Something like that. Not locked in stone. Wifes at final boss and she is thinking ual wielder. No archers or bards allowed though anything else is fair game to suggest.

Bonus points ifvits playable from lvl 1. Eg the dual wielder build is looking at twin short swords or phalar aluve/corellons wrath if dex based or Mintharas weapon and shattered flail if strength based. Both well add extra sources of damage eg caustic ring, strange conduit ring, broodmothers revenge+ raspberries. That's 1W+modifier+2acid +1d4psychic +1d6 poison and 1d4 thunder if phalanx aluve is shrieking.

Well a crossbow sharpshooter is most powerful IMO, but I assume that falls under Archer. To really play the game as Tav, I've found you need a good Charisma and a really good Persuasion. This means either play a Rogue with expertise or play a max charisma build. With that in mind, the build below is what I recommend, there are builds with more combat power but you are going to have to have someone else leading for many of the dialogs if you don't really have a very good charisma.

Given that I would go with a Wood Elf Thief 4-Gloomstalker 5-Battlemaster 3, outlander background. Totally playable from level 1.

Start with S8 D17 C12 I10 W14 CH14

Start out as Rogue with expertise in Persuasion and Athletics, Proficiency in Deception, Slight of Hand and Investigation. Perception from Elf, Survival (and Athletics) from Background.

At level 2 take one level in Ranger - beast tamer, Mage Breaker (Arcana) and then take Insight as your extra proficiency

For your beast you get a bird that can fly in and blind enemies. This both gives you advantage AND you can move away without provoking.

After that go to level 4 as Rogue getting Thief. At 5th level you get the same number of attacks as a straight dual wielding 5th level Ranger but one level earlier, and they are split across 3 actions instead of 2 so you have more flexibility using them. You don't get the bonus to your offhand, but you do get 2d6 sneak attack and you get the ability to use poison or something with your extra bonus action so you are ahead overall I think. I would get Dual Wielder Feat here so you can dual wield the finesse longswords and Rapiers.

After this you are going to go 4 more levels in Ranger to Ranger 5, picking up two weapon fighting, gloomstalker, an ASI and extra attack

At some point before this you should beat Ethel and made her give you here hair for a +1 Dex to have a 18 Dex base, so this boosts it to 20 on cue at level 8.

Round it out with 3 levels of Fighter, action surge, and battlemaster maneuvers including Menacing Attack and Disarming attack.

This is viable at all levels and will be pretty dominant at high levels. This is a hit and run build, the lack of the mobility feat does complicate it and means it won't be as good as dual crossbows, but this is mitigated by the fact you have an extra bonus action, disarming attack, Menacing attack and a familiar that can blind enemies. Also consider using the group tank to provoke AOOs so you can come in and out with impunity.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well a crossbow sharpshooter is most powerful IMO, but I assume that falls under Archer. To really play the game as Tav, I've found you need a good Charisma and a really good Persuasion. This means either play a Rogue with expertise or play a max charisma build. With that in mind, the build below is what I recommend, there are builds with more combat power but you are going to have to have someone else leading for many of the dialogs if you don't really have a very good charisma.

Given that I would go with a Wood Elf Thief 4-Gloomstalker 5-Battlemaster 3, outlander background. Totally playable from level 1.

Start with S8 D17 C12 I10 W14 CH14

Start out as Rogue with expertise in Persuasion and Athletics, Proficiency in Deception, Slight of Hand and Investigation. Perception from Elf, Survival (and Athletics) from Background.

At level 2 take one level in Ranger - beast tamer, Mage Breaker (Arcana) and then take Insight as your extra proficiency

For your beast you get a bird that can fly in and blind enemies. This both gives you advantage AND you can move away without provoking.

After that go to level 4 as Rogue getting Thief. At 5th level you get the same number of attacks as a straight dual wielding 5th level Ranger but one level earlier, and they are split across 3 actions instead of 2 so you have more flexibility using them. You don't get the bonus to your offhand, but you do get 2d6 sneak attack and you get the ability to use poison or something with your extra bonus action so you are ahead overall I think. I would get Dual Wielder Feat here so you can dual wield the finesse longswords and Rapiers.

After this you are going to go 4 more levels in Ranger to Ranger 5, picking up two weapon fighting, gloomstalker, an ASI and extra attack

At some point before this you should beat Ethel and made her give you here hair for a +1 Dex to have a 18 Dex base, so this boosts it to 20 on cue at level 8.

Round it out with 3 levels of Fighter, action surge, and battlemaster maneuvers including Menacing Attack and Disarming attack.

This is viable at all levels and will be pretty dominant at high levels. This is a hit and run build, the lack of the mobility feat does complicate it and means it won't be as good as dual crossbows, but this is mitigated by the fact you have an extra bonus action, disarming attack, Menacing attack and a familiar that can blind enemies. Also consider using the group tank to provoke AOOs so you can come in and out with impunity.

I thought the bard was the best archer.

Then wife played this.

Before that I played this one.

Wylls been an archer most of the game alongside Tav. He's close to the first build currently hunter 11.

They're a lot better level 1-6 than swords bard and we are leaning towards better than Swords bard archer.

Best archer 1-6 is probably that second one, toss up between rhat one and swords bard 7-10, 11+ I think the hunter takes it espicially with black hole shenanigans

Zardnaar

Legend
No, but I've looked into specing Halsin as one. Don't know of any way to leverage Halo of Spores damage, but at higher level they can accumulate a large number of undead minions, and there are a few magic items that can work with that.

That's the basic idea with a necromancer and oath breaker Paladin.

Not a fan of army of crud though. Few elementals, elemental myrmidons or planar Ally sure.

I've done the Druid version with 14 activation s iirc. Combat chugs.

That's the basic idea with a necromancer and oath breaker Paladin.

Not a fan of army of crud though. Few elementals, elemental myrmidons or planar Ally sure.

I've done the Druid version with 14 activation s iirc. Combat chugs.
It’s basically a Druidic necromancer. I don’t know if you can get hunters mark/hex damage with halo of spores. The symbiotic entity would need a bonus action attack to not suck, either duel wielding or war cleric dip. One thing of note - it doesn't really need maxed out wisdom.

I would suggest either be a drow for hand crossbow prof, or dip two levels of ranger.

Last edited:

Remove ads