The Black Company with Eliza Dushku as the Lady

Jhaelen

First Post
It's not unusual that actors play roles of characters that are supposed to be about 10 years younger.
And these days a woman in her mid-thirties easily looks younger than a woman in her mid-twenties did in the past, especially if 'past' means the early middle-ages (or its fantasy equivalent).

Finally, according to the wikipedia entry on 'The Black Company', the story covers a time-span of about 40 years. So, it makes sense to use actors that can believably represent the characters at both young ages and old ages.

Last edited:

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
It's not unusual that actors play roles of characters that are supposed to be about 10 years younger.
And these days a woman in her mid-thirties easily looks younger than a woman in her mid-twenties did in the past, especially if 'past' means the early middle-ages (or it's fantasy equivalent).

Finally, according to the wikipedia entry on 'The Black Company', the story covers a time-span of about 40 years. So, it makes sense to use actors that can believably represent the characters at both young ages and old ages.

Sure, and I agree with the first point you make, however regarding the time line, for a lot of that the Lady is using a LOT of magic. She is basically immortal and can keep a glamour on the whole time. It is not until she loses that magic that she again is forced to 'age' as we know it. And even then, that is only for so long.

Maybe I don't have a point per say. Just throwing in my two copper

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I'm a huge Black Company fan....and I am not sure how I feel about this at all. I mean...the Lady isn't even a highly featured character for the books in question (IMHO). More important parts would go to Soulcatcher, Croaker, One-eye, etc. even Limper!* I just hope this doesn't warp things around too much as a vanity effort.

...although I'll still watch it. :)

Sean Bean should play the Captain...just cause

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I actually recall as One-eye being dark skinned, and Goblin as more fair.

I have to say. I am excited by this prospect. I am just worried it will get messed up. These aren't all pretty or attractive people. Often when we get the little description for a character, they are pretty unremarkable or almost on the ugly side.

My worry is that the cast will not reflect this well. That will sort of ruin it for me. I will remain hopeful though that these gritty mercs won't be a bunch of Bros when the show hits.

I share your fear. A good number of the original company are actually fairly dark-complected or black (or so one might surmise after reading the whole series.) So lets hope for good casting, heck, it would be great if they could cast as many real veterans as possible.

I suspect I will also mourn the loss of all the subtle plot points and interaction of a multilingual/multicultural society and group. Hopefully they find some way around the entire planet miraculously speaking English.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I share your fear. A good number of the original company are actually fairly dark-complected or black (or so one might surmise after reading the whole series.) So lets hope for good casting, heck, it would be great if they could cast as many real veterans as possible.

I suspect I will also mourn the loss of all the subtle plot points and interaction of a multilingual/multicultural society and group. Hopefully they find some way around the entire planet miraculously speaking English.

Well there was the trade language of the Jewel cities, that was somewhat 'common' and if they end up depicting time spent while in the northern Empire, then perhaps they only need to be speaking those languages. Fosberger comes to mind. You are correct however, that the books to at least mention a plethora of languages. I think it even hinted at many of the larger city-states that get 'brought' into the Empire have their own tongue, such as Rose and Deal.

I don't know what they plan to do about this, but I think I can live with them glossing over languages. My guess would be the company will all speak 'English' and all others, plus some new recruits will just speak whatever gibberish is common in their homeland.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'm a huge Black Company fan....and I am not sure how I feel about this at all. I mean...the Lady isn't even a highly featured character for the books in question (IMHO). More important parts would go to Soulcatcher, Croaker, One-eye, etc. even Limper!* I just hope this doesn't warp things around too much as a vanity effort.

...although I'll still watch it. :)

Sean Bean should play the Captain...just cause

Yeah she is a secondary character for the first three books if I recall I hope it is't rewritten to have it revolve more around her scenes. Those first three BC novels are amazing, really hope they get it right.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Well there was the trade language of the Jewel cities, that was somewhat 'common' and if they end up depicting time spent while in the northern Empire, then perhaps they only need to be speaking those languages. Fosberger comes to mind. You are correct however, that the books to at least mention a plethora of languages. I think it even hinted at many of the larger city-states that get 'brought' into the Empire have their own tongue, such as Rose and Deal.

I don't know what they plan to do about this, but I think I can live with them glossing over languages. My guess would be the company will all speak 'English' and all others, plus some new recruits will just speak whatever gibberish is common in their homeland.
I'm thinking more of things like speaking in a language you and I know, but the folks around us don't. Croaker does this a few times. Its a minor thing, I know, but seemed a big part of the flavor to me. Given the books they plan to cover, I don't think they'll get to the antireligious themes of the Books of the South, but i'd worry about those getting cut as well. (And that could hurt the plot a lot more).

I'm also starting to wonder about what will or won't be lost in the transition from diary/journal format to screen. Plenty of stuff (meetings etc.) got glossed over for Croaker to give just the highlights. I think it would be great to do a jumpy fast forward with muffled sounds and Croaker narrating, but directors, actors, and their agents might object to the loss of screen time or importance.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases