The Black Company with Eliza Dushku as the Lady

Hmm, tough call. They’d have to have comedic chops. Maybe Chris Tucker, even if he is too young? If one wanted to ignore the text, which unless my memory fails me describes Goblin and One-Eye as dark-skinned, Rowan Atkinson would work. And I’d vote for Danny Glover for One-Eye and Idris Elba for Silent, to complete the trio of wizards.

Who should play Goblin!

Mad_Jack

Legend
(as much as I love the Malazan Book of the Fallen, for now I think it’s too high-magic to be done as a TV series, and too much material to be done as a movie or movies).

You might be able to do one or two storylines from it per season, "American Horror Story"-style, but the scope of the novels is just so damn huge, and so much of the meat of the story in the description and internal monologues of the characters, that I don't really think you could do it for television...

I'm personally looking forward to seeing what they do with the BC series, although I'll have my pitchfork and torch standing by just in case, lol.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Hmm, tough call. They’d have to have comedic chops. Maybe Chris Tucker, even if he is too young? If one wanted to ignore the text, which unless my memory fails me describes Goblin and One-Eye as dark-skinned, Rowan Atkinson would work. And I’d vote for Danny Glover for One-Eye and Idris Elba for Silent, to complete the trio of wizards.

I actually recall as One-eye being dark skinned, and Goblin as more fair.

I have to say. I am excited by this prospect. I am just worried it will get messed up. These aren't all pretty or attractive people. Often when we get the little description for a character, they are pretty unremarkable or almost on the ugly side.

My worry is that the cast will not reflect this well. That will sort of ruin it for me. I will remain hopeful though that these gritty mercs won't be a bunch of Bros when the show hits.

Man, I really need to re-read the series.

I agree, it just wouldn't be right for it to feature a bunch of young Shannara-style, model-like characters.

I actually recall as One-eye being dark skinned, and Goblin as more fair.

I have to say. I am excited by this prospect. I am just worried it will get messed up. These aren't all pretty or attractive people. Often when we get the little description for a character, they are pretty unremarkable or almost on the ugly side.

My worry is that the cast will not reflect this well. That will sort of ruin it for me. I will remain hopeful though that these gritty mercs won't be a bunch of Bros when the show hits.

Hussar

Legend
LOOOOOVVVVVEEE the idea.

Not really fond of the idea of Eliza Dushku playing The Lady. Umm, bleurg? Very much not what I picture when I picture The Lady. Dunno. I'd have to see it, but, certainly not making me jump up and down with excitement.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
If having Dushku play The Lady is the price we pay for getting it made -- and Dushku's own production company, after all, is the entity that has optioned the book series, so she kind of gets to go with that -- then I say it's cheap at the price.

(Those books came out decades ago, and no film/TV adaptation was made, that I'm aware of.)

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
If having Dushku play The Lady is the price we pay for getting it made -- and Dushku's own production company, after all, is the entity that has optioned the book series, so she kind of gets to go with that -- then I say it's cheap at the price.

(Those books came out decades ago, and no film/TV adaptation was made, that I'm aware of.)

I wonder if that means she is a fan?

The more I think about it, the more I feel the casting of this has to be pretty particular, and the budget appropriate. That could be due to being such a huge fan of the work and the world (bought the 3.5 Black Company Campaign stetting book Immediately), but also because there is a specific feel to these characters and world that potentially won't do a heavy adaptation well.

Declan Givry

First Post
Well Eliza Dushku is really beautiful but isn't she kind of too old for the part?
The Lady is described as looking as if she was in her early twenties and Eliza is already 36. By the time the show will get on air she'll be very close to 40.
As of Croaker, I've always felt that Zach braf could make something great with this character.

Remove ads