Will the real martial artist please stand up...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That’s my point: with the monk being all Qi in recent editions, I wonder why such a move didn’t appear at some point.
A character who can break boulders with his strength, or catch bullets, or something like that, seems a lot of fun, however.

I will likely be making those as Grandmaster Trainings

with Transcendental Meditation as a Martial practice.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That’s my point: with the monk being all Qi in recent editions, I wonder why such a move didn’t appear at some point.
A character who can break boulders with his strength, or catch bullets, or something like that, seems a lot of fun, however.

I will likely be making those as Grandmaster Trainings

with Transcendental Meditation as a Martial practice.

Igwilly

First Post
What would you describe the Kame-Hame-Ha attack as doing... maybe it works better if the attacker is bloodied.

Not something particularly hard to do. In pre-4e era, it would be a line-shaped attack. In 4e… One could argue for a blast, but it doesn’t look like one. A ranged force attack (or even radiant) would do the trick. In addition, the monk actually has to yell “Kame-Hame-Ha!” in order to function. Ok, that was a joke, but the rest is serious.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Not something particularly hard to do. In pre-4e era, it would be a line-shaped attack. In 4e… One could argue for a blast, but it doesn’t look like one. A ranged force attack (or even radiant) would do the trick. In addition, the monk actually has to yell “Kame-Hame-Ha!” in order to function. Ok, that was a joke, but the rest is serious.

Since it seems a signature attack I think it deserves a little attention ;) appropriate knockback effects and the like.
yes I was thinking a line of N squares (like a wall would be mechanically analogous actually)
One might pull something in either by a theme or multi-classing, if you wanted to stay with already created stuff.

Or mayhaps make something like a Wuxian Theme....

We could discuss how an ideal Ki/Chi power source might work?
The association of Chi / Ki with life force is a very interesting cross connect with how I flavor some of the Conlock powers - I like that one can have powers based on Con in 4e. Many of the powerful anime characters like Naruto are big on Con.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Arguably even if one had a Strength based class you could flavor that physical strength as actually reflecting channeling of Chi in to ones body in a particular way.

D&D monk has never been anything but a martial artists expert though they arent Friar Tuck.

I actually think that is an error sure nothing supernatural that is correct but superhuman well they really should be allowed to be exactly CAS it/ought to be in there...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharlesAtlasSuperpower

Batman is exactly in there and so should be the D&D martial classes.

The line at the end of the above page --> Note this doesn't count for characters with strength from Supernatural, technological or Alien origin, but for characters who obtain this strength naturally.

tvtropes does differentiate a difference between eastern and western flavors in that the eastern ones are allowed to go over the line... Based on the D&D monk of 1e it was a western interpretation of the eastern martial artist monastics.

I am looking at the original D&D monk below and wondering why it wouldn't be far more martial than anything else. Abilities were very subtle calling most of them supernatural would make every Martial class in 4e supernatural

Monk

The monk belongs to a religious order seeking for physical and mental perfection. The monk is a combat
expert, though he does not depend on weapons or armour. Instead, the light-footed monk uses only his fists in combat and prefers to evade enemy attacks instead of blocking them.

Special abilities
Unarmed Strike, Evasion, Danger Sense, Thief Skills, Weapon Expert
Speak with Animals (subtle almost magical but in Tolkein, dwarves and rangers did this too animal languages were something one could learn)
ESP Resistance ( strong will stuff), Slow Fall (or is it reduced damage from falling due to acrobatic ability)
Immunity to Diseases, Immunity to Haste and Slow
Feign Death (ummm bluff)
Self-Healing (all over in the Martial Classes if this is supernatural they already are)
Speak with Plants (arguably the first truly supernatural thing on the list)
Charm Resistance (more strong will stuff)
Shielded Mind (more strong will stuff)
Poison Immunity (a bit of heroic mind over body you can call it supernatural if you want but... )
Immunity to Quest and Geas(more strong will stuff)
Quivering Palm (The highest level thing and still entirely explainable without magic)

LOOKS like a Martial class to me.

I think its colorable as such, kinda. Its definitely marginal, but so is the classic D&D Fighter, who can fall 100' and withstand 20 arrows without being measurably impeded (albeit you can interpret such things as other than superhuman durability to some extent, but it becomes a stretch after name level).

Of course I meant “Monks” in the RPG culture sense. Real monks are religious people. To the point that D&D ought to make them divine characters: apparently, this was the norm on 2e. I remember the 1e Monk having several supernatural abilities, the book just didn’t explain it; but it was there.
As far as I know, Batman transitioned from Charles Atlas Superpower to Badass Normal at some point in history. In fact, on its own page, Batman is called The Badass Normal. That happens.
There are some mistakes on that site when it comes to similar tropes. Some examples are doubled in both tropes despite those tropes being different. 4e’s martial classes are mentioned in both tropes. That also happens. Careful reading of the pages and examples can give you the difference.

Anyway, moving back to the main point…

I’m not arguing against a pure martial hand-to-hand class: it’s a cool class. Most of the 3.5 Monk’s abilities can be explained in martial terms, with some changes on mechanics, I grant you. I can also see someone learning the language of animals; D&D just doesn’t work that way, since those abilities are class-based or spell-based magical abilities. Nevertheless, it should: it is not such a powerful ability to be usable only once in a day or something like that. Most animals aren’t that bright, anyway.
I just always wondered why my Monk called Sun Wukong couldn’t launch a Kame-Hame-Ha, even with a different name. Monks in RPGs tend to have a very strong mystical/supernatural theme with them.
Yeah, there are some oddities in 4e’s martial powers, but the vast majority of them were just badass stuff. I think Martial healing itself is strange and not to my taste (and I’m a 4e fan); they will work slightly different differently in my game. However, of course, that brings back Lots of HP discussions, so let’s avoid that.
However, when monks are supernatural, they are usually based on Qi, not psionics. That choice had a lot of context to happen, ultimately being a consequence of design space.
So, I guess the real fight here is Ki Monk vs. Pure-Martial Monk. That is a hard choice to make. I’m not against having 50+ classes so splitting them sounds like a good idea.
I do have one question: if monks don’t have Qi stuff, who will? That seems a great dilemma for me; monks are perfect for that.

However, I think this is a tangential point and a discussion not really needed here. Forgive me for such interruption; sometimes I just have to do this just because. I’ll take a time to read this class (and re-read Pathfinder’s Brawler hybrid class), and them reflect more about that. :D

Really, guys, why every monk needs to know kung-fu? Hahahahahahahaha.

Can you separate 'Qi' from 'Martial'? IMHO they are basically the same thing. Supreme capability arising out of uttermost inner discipline and focus, coupled with extreme physical and mental training. Isn't some fighter power like say Unbreakable just exactly the same sort of concept as the 1e Monk is immune to poison? Its expressed in a different sort of game mechanical terms, with somewhat different limitations and uses, but in effect when a 4e fighter uses that power and shirks off damage he's saying basically the same thing the 1e monk is saying when he ignores deadly poisons. I certainly would agree that the thematics are slightly different there, but nobody would quibble with a fighter power that granted poison immunity for a limited time! (heck, there may well be one for all I know).

It was basically the thought I was expressing, and I think if the monk was brought out after essentials we could have seen a mixed martial and psionic class, my first customization may involve going through and making it that way in the character builder LOL.

The JuJitsu fighter i was building is effectively a Samurai... btw

What makes him more of a Samurai than any other fighter? The Japanese warrior pattern would fight with weapons, certainly. In fact any unarmed/unarmored fighting concept was only a 19th Century thing that came about after their role in warfare was obsolete and they didn't have access to armor (or sometimes even arms) anymore. A Samurai would be master of the naginata, the daikyu, and perhaps one or more of several styles of sword depending on the period. They might also be familiar with a few other weapons, but its not likely. They certainly wouldn't fight unarmed unless forced to do so.

The dividing line between Martial, Qi, and Psionic is pretty hazy. They are all 'internal power', but just with slightly different thematics. Psionics are all sci-fantasy kind of modernistic 'mind over matter' (and could border into concepts like the Sorcerer if you think about it). Qi is themed 'eastern' and explained as arcane training/mastery of ancient techniques mixed with self discipline (and thus verges into things like wizards or clerics). Martial picks up the 'Charles Atlas Superpower' and 'Bad Assery' bits, but also verges into and is hard to distinguish from Qi (Bruce Wayne for instance constantly trains his mind and body, though in most sources he doesn't utilize 'eastern' techniques to do so). Heck, Charles Atlas constantly trained, its the trope, but if you compare that to a Shaolin Monk, is there really any light between the two? Charles Xavier did it all by standing around and exercising his mind, purely, so we can that these things cannot totally be lumped together, but they're still all merging at some point.

In a sense maybe 'power source' wasn't that great an idea. I mean, it works in some fashion to generally categorize, but its not a 'clean' facet. Divine and Arcane (and Elemental, really Shadow too) don't cleanly separate either. I think that its best to think about it in 4e as literally SOURCE in a very simple way and just decree that the universe works this way. You can get pretty much the same effect from Psionic/Qi as you can from Martial, but they are still manifestations of fundamentally different kinds of power.

That kind of says to me that while multi-sourced classes aren't ridiculous, they can exist according to the paradigm, they may not really be the best thematics. It might be better to just say "well, I achieved this melee weapon fighting effect using divine power, that's just how my class works!"

Remove ads