D&D 5E Campaign for Beginners - Age of Worms? Shattered Gates of Slughtergarde?

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hi Folks,
I'm running a group of new players (my nieces and nephews) and they are looking for a campaign with Demons/Undead. This will be 5E and I will start them at 1st level so they can 'learn' the game. Does anyone have any suggestions. Immediately something with Orcus pops into my head but I don't necessarily need to go that direction. Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to existing modules/adventures? If not, no biggie but I figured I'd see about some ideas. I don't want to do LMoP as I've run that previously. Would the Age of Worms fit this bill - how is that adventure path? What about The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde? Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Hi Folks,
I'm running a group of new players (my nieces and nephews) and they are looking for a campaign with Demons/Undead. This will be 5E and I will start them at 1st level so they can 'learn' the game. Does anyone have any suggestions. Immediately something with Orcus pops into my head but I don't necessarily need to go that direction. Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to existing modules/adventures? If not, no biggie but I figured I'd see about some ideas. I don't want to do LMoP as I've run that previously. Would the Age of Worms fit this? Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Have you looked at Out of the Abyss? You can read my review here, with an eye toward adapting it for a homebrew game. I've heard of some DMs making Orcus the big bad guy instead of Demogorgon; I think in one of the books Orcus took control of a bunch of mind flayers by turning the elder brain undead, so that would make an excellent villain. While it takes a skilled DM, and you'd probably want to avoid the "play/control an NPC" aspect for the young ones, it feels like a good introduction and you could even take a page from the Netflix series Stranger Things if any of them have seen it, equating the Underdark with the "upside down."

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hi Quickleaf - I appreciate the suggestion! I actually thought of Out of the Abyss as I do have it but I think with the set up as prisoners and the multitude of NPCs and travel time in the Underdark etc. I don't know if I'd want to run that for them yet. Maybe at some point but I think it may be a bit much for their first 'shot' in that there are a lot of moving parts in that one.

The Sunless Citadel, the first dungeon in Tales from the Yawning Portal has some undead (notably some skeletons in several encounters) in it, as well as a quasit if they go to the right area (granted, you're not going to get much in the way of choice if you want non-deadly demons at 1st level!). The bosses at the end are basically undead in plant form as well. If you want, it would be very easy to switch out some of low level monsters with more skeletons or even zombies. And kids should have a lot of fun interacting with Meepo and helping him find his lost dragon in any case! And in the end, if they are still interested when you finish up, you can just go onward to Forge of Fury and the other dungeons in the book...

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Thanks Demetrios. Actually using that one for a lead in to the Red Hand of Doom arc I'll be running for a group (which would include one of those playing potentially) after Curse of Strahd. I like that and Forge of Fury and definitely look forward to running those!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you have Keep on the Borderlands, the 'Temple' cave has a bunch of undead in it.

You can replace the priest and acolytes with demons (or tieflings) instead of humans via fluff and descriptions; keep the statistics.
They usually are all wrapped up in their cloaks - even in hottest summer - and keep hoods pulled up over their heads. This is a hint that things are not what they seem.

Tormyr

Hero
I have been converting Age of Worms for 5e (only a few weeks to go!). It has a great chapter 1, but it was only Paizo's second AP, and there are some weaknesses/continuity issues/errors at a couple places throughout the AP.

That being said, it is a long AP that hits almost every aspect of D&D. You go from people in a backwater town to being destined to save the world. There are dungeons, child, exploration, shapeshifters, gladiators, giants, dragons, deceptions, epic monsters, and horrific undead that quickly turn you into one of them.

The downside of this is the campaign is fairly long. You are likely looking at a minimum of two years to finish. It is also fairly deadly, although not as deadly as back in 3.5. You can find my conversion documents at http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdow...age=3&perpage=20&tab=comments&downloadid=1254

Last edited:

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Thanks [MENTION=6776887]Tormyr[/MENTION]! That conversion looks pretty much done. Makes my life easier. I'll have to check out your play report [MENTION=6784990]Bupp[/MENTION]. That said, what can be done to address the flow / continuity issues? I'm still reading about Diamond Lake right now - lol...

Tormyr

Hero
There are a few issues that pop up/need to be thought through:

[sblock]
+ In chapter 1, there is someone you meet that doesn't make sense how they got where they did. This is answered as an offhand comment in Chapter 10.
- In chapter 2, the text around the placing of the statue is poorly worded but actually works.
+ In chapter 2, some boards are hammered across a path that is in use, but the description does not indicate any passing through that passage, and there is no other path.
+ In chapter 2, the area is split into 3 sections. There is a mention of locked doors, but where to get the keys is not well laid out/omitted in some places. It is probably better ignored.
+ In chapter 1, the PCs motivation is established as getting enough money to move to the big city. Then the party spends another two chapters mucking about town.
+ In chapter 3, the mentor could easily spend a couple rounds wiping up the big fight but teleports out to bring help. This can cause PCs (and players) to be really ticked off.
- In chapter 4, a vertical puzzle required me to read it about 20 times before I understand it. It works, but it was still difficult.
- In chapter 12, some descriptions don't match the map.
[/sblock]

There are more (+) and less (-) significant issues, but nothing game-breaking. You can always put a post in the comment thread for the conversion or message me if you have any questions.

Remove ads