• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Campaign for Beginners - Age of Worms? Shattered Gates of Slughtergarde?

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
So I guess my one question [MENTION=6776887]Tormyr[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6784990]Bupp[/MENTION], do you recommend this? It'll be a party of 5 (Elf Barb/Halfling Thief/Human Cleric of Pelor/Dragonborn Ranger/Gnome Wizard). There's one experienced player and 2 new players. I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews (though overwhelmingly the Whispering Cairns adventure by Eric Mona does seem to be well liked)...

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
Hi Folks,
I'm running a group of new players (my nieces and nephews) and they are looking for a campaign with Demons/Undead. This will be 5E and I will start them at 1st level so they can 'learn' the game. Does anyone have any suggestions. Immediately something with Orcus pops into my head but I don't necessarily need to go that direction. Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to existing modules/adventures? If not, no biggie but I figured I'd see about some ideas. I don't want to do LMoP as I've run that previously. Would the Age of Worms fit this bill - how is that adventure path? What about The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde? Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Tomb of Horrors. I always recommend running newbies through it at least once, and it definitely fits the undead theme.

hastur_nz

First Post
I've run both in 3.5, and I also ran Age of Worms a second time using 5e (mostly during the alpha and beta phases of rules testing).

As noted, Age of Worms is *very* long, and covers pretty a lot of variety in what's essentially 12 linked adventures, most of which cover 2 levels of play. The continuity problems are immaterial for now, you can figure that out as you go along, as there's loads of great advice etc in the old Paizo forums (some is even from me lol). But if it's undead/demons etc you want, over a long adventure path, I'd actually recommend their 3rd Adventure Path, "Save Tide" - I ran that one using 4e rules, using Eberron as the game world, as I thought it was really good also (the last adventures are basically running around the outer planes vs demons etc). Age of Worms and Save Tide are both excellent, but also both very different in tone (one is "stop Kyuss", the other is "stop Demogorgon"; one jumps around parts of central Greywawk the whole time; the other jumps around far-flung places including the Isle of Dread, then goes totally off the material plane for the end-game adventures).

However, I'd NOT recommend you start with a huge adventure path, for a group of younger people who are new to D&D, especially if the stuff they are looking for isn't due for 6-12 months... IMO, you want something that starts off appropriately "small" and manageable, and is in the ballpark of what they will be interested in. You'd run a hige risk of prepping for something that never eventuates.

Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde was one of the last adventures made for 3.5, which means it probably stands up better converted to 5e rules (more interesting fights, vs decent number of foes not just 4-5 PC's vs 1-2 monsters). It's a decent length, from memory 1-8th level, and interesting enough for mature and experienced players as well as newbies (I had one relative newbie, the rest seasoned vets). You might need to be careful about the exact power level the players have to face, especially as for example Hobgoblins are pretty tough in 5e now (tip: tone down their extra damage to one die not two), but you can do that "on the fly" as you go along and see how good the players are and what they can reasonably handle. The only down-side, from memory, is that like nearly all intro adventures, it starts off with "PC's vs Goblins", then moves to "PC's vs Hobgoblins", and only then starts to broaden out into demonic types of stuff, constructs, and so on. But I think that's the way of things - new players need a simple intro to get them used to the mechanics etc; you can always "re-fluff" the monsters, to make them feel more like they are influenced by demons or whatever...

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice [MENTION=9319]Hastur[/MENTION]. It has been something I've been considering. That said, the way I'm looking at, I could always pull the cord on the adventure path and go a bit more conventional. Everything I've seen indicates the Whispering Cairn is a pretty good adventure so I could play it, chapter by chapter but I do think your point is quite valid. Isn't the Savage Tide more of a 'piratey' or 'swashbuckling' type of feel? I do like Demogorgan though (although not quite as much as Orcus - lol). The one thing Age of Worms has going for it was the fine work that Tormyr did to convert it - that saves me time - lol!!

hastur_nz

First Post
The Whispering Cairn is a pretty good dungeon-crawl, tough and potential for killing PC's especially inexperienced ones, there are also some good pieces "in town" in fact the non-dungeon pieces are my favourites (including a potential run-in with a half-orc, an owlbear, and a cool necromancer with his undead minions in his lab). The town is a great one, a classic back-drop. After that, it's a trek off into the swamp filled with Lizardfolk etc, so very much a change of pace, and alas the town is never seen again (the set-up is that the PC's are created as friends wanting to get rich and hence out of town). Then it's off to the city of greyhawk, where it's another two complete changes of pace, and so on, until about mid-way through the 'end game' finally starts to be revealed. My players' only real complaint was that some parts of the adventure path felt like they could have been better connected / re-ordered / shortened / deleted, or something - all the pieces are cool, but you have to be in for the long-haul to really appreciate it.

Savage Tide is indeed a kind of "swashbuckler" adventure feel in the first parts, but it evolves into a more epic feel as the PC's go to the Isle of Dread, then off-world completely. When I ran it, I skipped the first adventure which had a kind of "ancient Venice" city setting, and apart from some sailing around in a ship and one adventure in some kind of port which included combat on a birthed ship, I don't remember any actual "swashbuckler action" - certainly none of my PC's were the swashbuckler type, and only a few of their foes were ever "pirates".

There were lengthy "plot overviews" published for each adventure path, in Dungeon Magazine, as a kind of "preview". No doubt you could find those somewhere, or at least find a condensed overview, with a little digging, that would probably give a better idea than I can remember.

Tormyr

Hero
So I guess my one question @Tormyr and @Bupp, do you recommend this? It'll be a party of 5 (Elf Barb/Halfling Thief/Human Cleric of Pelor/Dragonborn Ranger/Gnome Wizard). There's one experienced player and 2 new players. I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews (though overwhelmingly the Whispering Cairns adventure by Eric Mona does seem to be well liked)...

I also agree with @hastur_nz. I would recommend at least some sort of starting adventure to warm up the new people. Something like the teaser adventure for Zeitgeist might work as that should only take a session or two.

However, if you are willing to go for it, there is a lot of fun stuff in Age of Worms, and like you said, you can always move on to something else. There are also some great opportunities for a TPK, and somehow the party at my table always managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. I am not a DM who tries to kill PCs; I just bring it up as a heads up.

You can also ask me any questions about the AP that you have.

EDIT: I meant to add that I started each PC with a healing potion to help make sure they survived level 1.
EDIT 2: The Age of Worms Overload from the paizo site has a general overview of the adventure path.
http://paizo.com/dungeon/resources/downloads

Last edited:

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Thanks for the information [MENTION=40592]hastur_nz[/MENTION]! I actually have all the Dungeon (and Dragons) for this so that helps. I did read the "Overview" I think you are referring too and have finished reading Diamond Lake. I'm just starting the Whispering Cairns now. I think if I go adventure path, it's going to be Age of Worms (since Tormyr did such a bang up job on the conversion which saves me time!!). Savage Tide could be one I do over Fantasy Grounds if there is a conversion - lol. I do have a couple of non-local friends who'd like the Demogorgan aspect. If I don't go adventure path, I'll have to think but I may do something that weaves in Orcus (using Necromancer Games "Tomb of Abysthor").

I appreciate the link [MENTION=6776887]Tormyr[/MENTION]. I'll probably take you up on that offer. The healing potion is a good touch and I think I will do that. My sister who is also playing is one person that has played (though not much in 5E but a lot in previous versions and some OSRIC versions) so hopefully she can 'guide' my niece and nephew. The fun thing is the kids are revved up for this! If you have any pointers that pop into mind for the first couple of installments let me know!

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Thanks for the information [MENTION=40592]hastur_nz[/MENTION]! I actually have all the Dungeon (and Dragons) for this so that helps. I did read the "Overview" I think you are referring too and have finished reading Diamond Lake. I'm just starting the Whispering Cairns now. I think if I go adventure path, it's going to be Age of Worms (since Tormyr did such a bang up job on the conversion which saves me time!!). Savage Tide could be one I do over Fantasy Grounds if there is a conversion - lol. I do have a couple of non-local friends who'd like the Demogorgan aspect. If I don't go adventure path, I'll have to think but I may do something that weaves in Orcus (using Necromancer Games "Tomb of Abysthor").

I appreciate the link [MENTION=6776887]Tormyr[/MENTION]. I'll probably take you up on that offer. The healing potion is a good touch and I think I will do that. My sister who is also playing is one person that has played (though not much in 5E but a lot in previous versions and some OSRIC versions) so hopefully she can 'guide' my niece and nephew. The fun thing is the kids are revved up for this! If you have any pointers that pop into mind for the first couple of installments let me know!

Bupp

Adventurer
I do agree with [MENTION=40592]hastur_nz[/MENTION] with a "starter adventure". When I started teaching my kids to play, we started with The Keep on the Borderlands, but only did a couple of caves before finding that one of caves was the Whispering Cairn. Then the "rival adventuring party" from AoW cleared out the other caves while the party was following up with the Whispering Cairn.

Remove ads