D&D 5E First time playing D&D and I'm the DM. Anyone feeling helpful?

QuantumWizard

First Post
5. Is it too boring to end the session without combat? Is entering the jungle exciting enough to make the players wan to return?

The Dungeon Master's Guide starts out with a page called "Know Your Players". Basically, different players like different things. Fighting is definitely one, but acting, exploring, instigating, optimizing, problem solving and storytelling are other activities your players will enjoy. D&D is much more than just combat!

Also, as a side note, I would strongly recommend playing in someone else's D&D campaign for a few sessions (and, preferably, much more than a few) before you start DMing your own campaign. Good DMing is something you learn by example, by sitting in someone's game as a player and noticing what you like and what you don't like about their DMing style.

Denalz

Explorer
Also, as a side note, I would strongly recommend playing in someone else's D&D campaign for a few sessions (and, preferably, much more than a few) before you start DMing your own campaign. Good DMing is something you learn by example, by sitting in someone's game as a player and noticing what you like and what you don't like about their DMing style.

Unfortunately I live in such a rural community that my options are extremely limited... non-existent really. BUT, I have spent many hours watching Critical Role by GeekandSundry. I feel like watching Matt Mercer has been very helpful. Of course I'm not actually able to participate, but i'm afraid it's the best I can do.

I see your point though.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

I dunno - I've learned a ton just be watching stuff online and reading everything I can. One DM is not necessarily a great example (the one I played with quickly frustrated me - because I'd gotten so much good advice from the web - perhaps it ruined me as a player :) )

While the AngryGM's style is not for everyone, he plays up his "angry" schtick quite a bit (but it's mostly tongue in cheek), his advice is packed with useful stuff. For a new DM these are pretty essential IMHO:

http://theangrygm.com/how-to-structure-a-session/
http://theangrygm.com/the-art-of-the-recap/
http://theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/
http://theangrygm.com/five-simple-rules-for-dating-my-teenaged-skill-system/

The last is a complement to Iserith's guide. It's more theoretical (though still has examples) whereas Iserith's is more concrete and stuffed with highly relevant examples.

With all that in your head (and they're generally more fun to read than the DM's Guide you'll be pretty well equipped :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
So I have never actually played D&D. I spent a lot of time and money preparing to try it a few years ago, but one disgruntled player flipping the board over 5 minutes into the game later and.... yeah, I wasn't in a hurry to try again. If anyone was curious, the tantrum was because the DM decided that the PC's would be starting with the standard adventure'rs pack. It was literally the first call he made. :uhoh:
Presumably not playing with that guy again...

... though I have to wonder 'what board?' ;)

If that player is going to be in your game, don't bother. Just show up with one of the D&D board games or something.
But, that'd give him a board to flip! ;P

So this time I happen to be the DM as no one else was eager to try (we are all new players).
JMHO, but it's better to try the game out with an experienced DM and even an experienced player or few, too. You just get a better feel for it, get to see the game at its best (or at least not at it's worst) and learn more from the experience that way. I'm assuming that's not an option for whatever reason - no established groups open & no organized play in your area or whatever...

Unfortunately I live in such a rural community that my options are extremely limited... non-existent really
OK, then. Your Pbem experience should help, though.

I was hoping you guys could look over the basics of the campaign I'm going to run and tell me if you see any glaring issues.
If you've gone to the work of setting all that up, well, go for it. If it's still in the outline phase, though, maybe just start off with a published adventure like LMoP?

4 Lvl 3 PC's (Paladin, Wizard, Ranger, Druid), 1 potential NPC may assist in most encounters (Lvl 3 Fighter)
Starting at 3rd level isn't a bad idea, it means the PCs are more durable. It also means there's a little more to absorb before playing them.
And, you've picked out two of the most complicated classes in the game, Wizard & Druid - the easiest-to-play character in that list is probably the NPC fighter. Fighter, Barbarian, & Rogue are much easier to hit the ground running with, especially the Champion Fighter.
One of Cleric, Druid, Bard or Paladin is very good to have, too, not just for the stereotypical healing. The Paladin is a good choice because it's Lay on Hands is dedicated healing, so there's not the mistake to make of not prepping any healing that you can with a Cleric or Druid, and because if the players doesn't prep any spells that turn out useful, he can always use his slots to smite. Of course if you have spells already prepped on the sheet, that makes it easier.

The first session will consist of the players being shipwrecked on a tropical island near sunset. They will begin as perfect strangers.
Stories often start off with strangers thrown together by difficult circumstances, something like that offers a lot of opportunity for the author to explore and paint the characters as they get to know eachother, and builds in conflict that needs to be overcome to survive. A starting game, though, might do without that potential richness in the name of getting the players to just work together and concentrate on learning the game and succeeding as a party. Since they're starting at 3rd, the idea that they're an established party with some history is perfectly reasonable, too. You could work each character into the others' 'Bonds,' in ways that encourage cooperation, for instance, and spell out their relationships, and hand out Inspiration for playing to those Bonds.

The only other survivor will be the ship's captain who tells them that this island has a trading post where a major merchant line stops every month. He refuses to say when or where however, he holds this information as incentive for the PC's to protect him.
A fighter may not need a lot of protecting. It might make more sense for him to be a non-combatant (maybe he's elderly or was injured in the wreck?) if he's pulling a trick like that. Or, you could make the NPC a healer - Life Cleric or Bard or whatever, maybe with the Healer feat. That'd save any of the PCs from having to do it, and be a good reason to protect him, too.

The next morning, the PC's will awaken to being attacked by a giant poisonous snake. This snake will end up killing the captain.
What's the point? Introduce the NPC, hold a bit of information over the players' heads so they'll protect him, then assure they fail in doing so? If you just want to drop the info about the island, the captain could have mentioned it before the wreck and been killed like everyone else.

Once the PC's defeat it, they will be confronted by several tribal warriors of the Tongu tribe (my invention, based off the Maori people). These warriors, who speak their own language, will beckon the PC's to join them back to their village. I am prepared for the possibility that the PC's will refuse, or choose to fight.
With all-new players you may actually have a better shot at them not fighting right off the bat. Wouldn't count on it, of course...

Once to the village, the chief will use a translator to inform the PC's that they have been chosen by their god, Lono, to put an end to the growing threat of the snake people (Yuan-ti)...
... Before they set off, the Chief will bless them with a ritual including the acceptance of a tribal tattoo representing their god (I need help deciding on this tattoo's effect).

Here are the main things I need help with for session 1...

1. I need a minor buff provided by the tribal tattoo. It needs to be small due to the permanence of such a mark.
It could grant an extra HD each day, that'd be nice at 3rd (amazing at 1st level, if you decide to start at 1st), but become less significant as they level up.

Or, it could grant a bonus to whatever saving throw the Yaun-ti are going to be hitting the hardest (CON for poison, probably?)

2. I am unsure if I should create another encounter as a condition for receiving the tattoo. I was thinking like a trial by fire or one on one combat with the tribesmen (I like this idea less as it would be time consuming individually)....

3. I'm not sure if the events described in the first session will be enough to fill out a 3 hour block. Maybe they will be too much, what do you all think? Are there enough encounters to keep things interesting?
I doubt you'll get through all that. You can keep the initiation thing to get the tatoo in your back pocket in case they do blow through everything else very quickly.

4. Since there are no shops on this island, what starting items (like healing potions) should I allow my PC's?
Since they were just in a shipwreck you can list not the items they have or 'should have,' but simply what they were able to get to shore with.

They have no dedicated cleric.
Paladin is a decent healer. You could make an NPC a healer instead of a fighter.

5. Is it too boring to end the session without combat?
No. It can be nice to end on a cliffhanger, like the start of a combat, or with the revelation of something significant, but it's hardly necessary.

Overall, I think you may be trying too hard to plot out the adventure. That's not necessarily a bad thing with new players, they may not have much idea what to do, and having an obvious, linear plot for them to follow can help.

Another reoccurring piece of advice you guys keep saying it to start our characters at level one. For some reason I was under the impression that starting at a higher level would make it easier for me to plan more interesting encounters and this is why I recommended level 3. I’m afraid it’s too late to tell my PC’s to redo their character sheets for level 1 and I’m worried they will become vexed.
Level 3 is actually a solid place to start, characters are well-defined, and accidental character deaths are less likely - a 1st level PC can die instantly to a surprisingly high damage roll! The concern is that a 3rd level character is more complicated, especially a 3rd level Wizard or Druid. But, if the players built these characters and have been hammering them out for a while, they're hopefully up to speed on them... (I was under the impression they were pregens you'd made with the adventure in mind).

Though I’ve never played D&D I’ve been a play-by-post role-player for 11 years, so I do have an inkling on how to improvise, though admittedly not under timed pressure. We will see how it translates.
I suppose that should help. ;)

I need advice on Akira
You could make her a wilderness-oriented class like a Ranger or Druid, (maybe 1st level as she's young?) that could tie into her following taboos, and give her ways to help the party that don't steal center stage.

I assume many of the people reading this are men. I happen to be a woman and I am running a game for all male players. Is Akira’s story too… I don’t know… girly/soap opera-ish?
No. Don't be surprised if it never comes up, though - if the players just assume the obvious motivations and don't try to figure it out.

S'mon

Legend
I assume many of the people reading this are men. I happen to be a woman and I am running a game for all male players. Is Akira’s story too… I don’t know… girly/soap opera-ish? Being the only female at the table I am super self conscious that my players will be tempted to roll their eyes at some of my story telling themes. What do you think? Is Akira’s story too corny for men to be interested in?

No, doesn't sound too girly to me, and I didn't know you were female until you said. Sounds typical fantasy drama stuff.

I think you've done your prep work, maybe more plotted than I would do, but you are clearly prepared for different possibilities from the PCs. Just have a couple emergency backup encounters you can run if the PCs go completely off piste and I think you have everything covered.

hastur_nz

First Post
Sounds like you are as well prepared as you could be; the outline you provided reminds me of the old Conan story I'm currently reading - classic "strong man/men rescue vulnerable female" trope - be prepared for at least one of your players to hit on your female NPC lol.

The one piece of advice I can really offer, is be prepared to ad-lib. As noted by others, prepare mostly in terms of locations, set-ups, and NPC's goals, not a huge web of possible plot-directions which could easily be dead on first contact with the players. Be prepared to make stuff up, and pretend you totally expected it. And listen and watch as carefully as you can, to what the players are enjoying, and give them more of that. A great DM is a facilitator who helps the players find fun (usually through overcoming adversity).

Lastly, while Matt Mercer and Critical Role are great, don't expect your own group to function like that! Personally I think Matt goes too far sometimes and should help his players do more especially in terms of knowing the rules; also the players are all professional Actors and seriously prone to spending forever obsessing and dramatising everything possible in-character. Groups I now of would be seriously bored of this very quickly, and I tune out pretty quickly as a watcher/listener; as noted, different players like different things for example as I player I'm an Instigator I want to keep things moving and challenges to overcome not spending hours talking every little thing through. While I'm (mostly) a team player, I'll happily kick in the next door just to find a sticky situation we'll need to get ourselves out of...

As I say, just try and observe your players, and focus on stuff they are enjoying; be prepared to make stuff up as you go along; and don't sweat the small stuff, no-one will know if you followed your "plot" or not. Here, these guys say it better than I can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcA-eaaChJc&t=220s

Denalz

Explorer
As I say, just try and observe your players, and focus on stuff they are enjoying; be prepared to make stuff up as you go along; and don't sweat the small stuff, no-one will know if you followed your "plot" or not. Here, these guys say it better than I can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcA-eaaChJc&t=220s

LOL, I just watched this video this morning. I was already subscribed to their channel. Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond :)

Remove ads