D&D General Styles of D&D Play

Hussar

Legend
I don't remember 3e doing much with strongholds, or henches/hirelings other than the cohort* that came with the Leadership feat

* - and I seem to recall people complaining about even that, as it made a player's turn take longer.
Core? Maybe not. But, you had things like the PHB 2 which gave us pretty extensive rules for running organizations.

The biggest problem with the Leadership feat was that it was incredibly powerful. You could gain a full caster, one level lower than the group, for the cost of a feat. And if it died, you got a replacement one as soon as practical. A feat that granted you, say, an 8th level cleric's full abilities was far and away too powerful for a single feat.

Oofta

Legend
Did you or did you not specifically say that I was not talking about optional rules? If not, then what does this sentence actually mean:

I have to admit, I'm really confused. You flat out, straight up, stated that I thought the core came should be changed.

How is this "not there"?

You've stated repeatedly that people say you want to change core rules, correct? I've never said that, I've never seen anyone state that, you've been clear that you're talking about optional rules.

So the only person bringing up anything at all concerning changing core rules is you when you keep repeating unfounded accusations that people say you want to change core rules.

So again ... we know you are talking about optional rules. Can you please stop with the statements that people are accusing you of saying you want to change core rules? Because it's not true.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't remember 3e doing much with strongholds, or henches/hirelings other than the cohort* that came with the Leadership feat

* - and I seem to recall people complaining about even that, as it made a player's turn take longer.
Yeah, TSR had better rules for hirelings at least. 3e did have strong design on strongholds.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Hirelings and followers were a big part of how the game operates in the TSR era. Actually the old knights of the Dinner Table comics do a pretty good job of illustrating this (it is for humorous effect but you can tell they drew from table experience writing those)
They do. Big fan of KoDT here, and of hirelings and followers.

Hussar

Legend
You've stated repeatedly that people say you want to change core rules, correct? I've never said that, I've never seen anyone state that, you've been clear that you're talking about optional rules.

So the only person bringing up anything at all concerning changing core rules is you when you keep repeating unfounded accusations that people say you want to change core rules.

So again ... we know you are talking about optional rules. Can you please stop with the statements that people are accusing you of saying you want to change core rules? Because it's not true.

But. You. Just. Said. I. Wanted. To. Change. Core.

You said it. You clearly and unambiguously said it.

So which is it?

Oofta

Legend
But. You. Just. Said. I. Wanted. To. Change. Core.

You said it. You clearly and unambiguously said it.

So which is it?
I. Did. Not. Say. You. Want. To. Change. Core. Rules. We know your stance. You only want optional rules.

I don't understand how you keep interpreting "No one has accused you of wanting to change the core rules" into "No one has accused you of wanting to change the core rules".

Hussar

Legend
I. Did. Not. Say. You. Want. To. Change. Core. Rules. We know your stance. You only want optional rules.

I don't understand how you keep interpreting "No one has accused you of wanting to change the core rules" into "No one has accused you of wanting to change the core rules".
Oofta said:

Nobody, other than you, is saying the core game should be changed as far as I know or that anyone is even proposing it.

Are you now saying you didn't say this? It is a direct quote from you. In other words, you SPECIFICALLY said that I wanted to change the core rules. Was that mistaken?

Or, in some sort of torture of the English language, you mean that I am the only one bringing up the fact that there have been repeated comments that people want to change core?

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Oofta said:

Nobody, other than you, is saying the core game should be changed as far as I know or that anyone is even proposing it.

Are you now saying you didn't say this? It is a direct quote from you. In other words, you SPECIFICALLY said that I wanted to change the core rules. Was that mistaken?

Or, in some sort of torture of the English language, you mean that I am the only one bringing up the fact that there have been repeated comments that people want to change core?

You are talking about optional rules. I accept that, I have always accepted that, I have never said anything else. I can't help it if I made a typo or you misread. I don't know why you keep repeating the accusation.

Please drop it, I've answered this same question multiple times.

Hussar

Legend
People are arguing that we should make a significant change. I think that's a minority opinion. That's all.
This is your post from post 68 WAYYY early in the thread. What did you mean by this if you weren't talking about changing the core rules?

But, okay, consider it dropped. You've certainly clarified your position now.

Remove ads