D&D 5E 5e stone sorcerer help

suplee215

First Post
I am making a new character with rolled stats of 18, 17, 17, 13, 11, 8 (yes, lucky stats) and decided on a stone sorcerer. It will begin at 2nd lvl. I was thinking of eventually twinning elemental weapon (either on myself or on the martial classes in the party) and spamming booming blade. What other spells should I look for? I am not sure on the race either but was thinking mountain dwarf or half-orc.

zaratan

First Post
RAW, you can't twin elemental weapon, twin spell only work in spells that target one creature, which a weapon is not.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

suplee215

First Post
RAW, you can't twin elemental weapon, twin spell only work in spells that target one creature, which a weapon is not.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

Really? Wow. Guess I'll ask the DM about that then. Seemed like something that should be simple but I guess not.

ShogunAssassin

First Post
Twinned Spell
When you cast a spell that targets only one creature and doesn’t have a range of self, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to target a second creature in range with the same spell (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip).

To be eligible, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell’s current level. For example, Magic Missile and Scorching Ray aren’t eligible, but Ray of Frost is.

Shield spell is useful for the times when you are in the thick of it.

Booming Blade synergises well with Thunderous Smite: You can deliver the Smite with a Booming Blade and they will be subject to Booming Blade's extra damage if they want to move back into melee with you.

Haste is a pretty good melee booster buff if the Elemental Weapons doesn't pan out.

JayneCobb88

First Post
I know it’s a dead thread but I’m gonna bust out some necromancy.

To make a Stone sorcerer REALLY shine you’ll need
A) High Charisma
B) High Constitution
C) A way to dip in and out of front line combat
D) Shillelagh cantrip

Why for each item
A) You’re a sorcerer first and foremost so when a large group threatens, use spells and they need to hit hard. Plus, paired with Shillelagh your melee skills are great!
B) HP + AC + Concentration all rolled into one? YES PLEASE!
C) Bread and butter for attacking 1 or 2 enemies will be either Twinned Booming Blade OR Green Flame Blade (OR Hastened + Twinned in certain circumstances). But to pull this off you need to create some distance and force the enemies to either move and take damage or play the role of punching bag. For this you’ll either take 3 Bard levels for College of Satire which give you the Tumble ability (1 bonus action used to give BOTH dash & disengage actions) OR take the Mobility feat so you can move without drawing an attack of opportunity from any creature you attacked, regardless of hit or miss (booming blade specifically calls for a melee Attack as part of the spell). I’d recommend taking one of these options but you could also rely on the Blink spell to step out of the range 50% of the time.
D) Shillelagh - Either a single level dip into Druid or my strong recommendation is to take the Magic Initiate feat. I’m also a HUGE fan of Guidance so there’s that. Plus nabbing Healing Word if you didn’t dip into Bard is fantastic for turning your Sorcerer into a decent combat healer. It’s crazy satisfying to turn your wee little club into an earth shattering, flaming green stick of death with a max damage potential of 23d8+25 in a single turn for ZERO spells and just 3 sorcery points.

War Caster is also a MUST. Being more front line means more concentration checks. Lets you cast spells while wielding the stick-o-death & shield. AND casting more spells due to the opportunity attacks. War Caster + high Con + sorcerer constitution Proficiency means you’ll almost never fail. Slap on Stone Skin and you’ve got near Barbarian levels of tanking.

Human variant & Scourge Aasimar are excellent for this build. One gets more feats while the other can turn into the human torch.

My final recommendations are
1) avoid ALL Smite spells. They don’t add much and instead reduce your already limited sorcerer spell choices. They also use up your Shield uses, your bonus action for mobility and cost points which could otherwise be used to Twin Spells during longer battles.
2) dip into bard both for the mobility and to expand your spells known so that your sorcerer spells can focus on the higher levels
3) blink is fun but don’t rely on it

Remove ads