13 REASONS WHY

Netflix has become a giant somewhat overnight in new very good tv shows

I have kids, saw all 13 episodes-It is very good. Looking forward to season 2 for rest of answers. Wouldn't be shocked especially in west coast us/northeast cities that the book becomes required reading down the line

Got a good discussion out of the dinner table from it. Its Graphic in several scenes so I wouldn't let younger kids view it and I would prewatch it in case you might not be ready for the discussion . If you don't have kids feel free to skip it

Is it somewhat far fetched? Yes and no. I can see all 13 reasosn happening but doubtful all at once within the time period however with todays scoail media FB/snapchat etc it could also be worse

Could there by copycats down the line? Sure but you get that with any kid of movie

Jhaelen

First Post
according to somebody else, the producers of it consulted with suicide experts (counselors, not people who kill themselves for a living), and then did everything they were told not to do.
Where's the :rolleyes: emoticon when you need it?

Well, you know, there's always somebody claiming someone said or did something or other, especially on the internet.

I sincerely doubt there's any way the show could be interpreted to glorify suicide.

I'm not an expert on depression, but the way I see it, watching the show with a person who is suffering from depression and discussing it with them, might actually be helpful for them. I don't see why that should be a no-go. It's not as if you could protect anyone from being confronted with other depressed or suicidal persons forever.
In fact, persons who have already attempted a suicide and survived it will have spent some time together with other suicidal persons in hospital. And part of their therapy involves talking with each other and exchanging their stories. So how can this be bad?

Wellll..... clearly this is an emotionally charged TV show / subject which I suspected it was. As an emotionally "challenged" person I see the pros and cons of such a show. Sadly, the people this show could "harm" are the ones least likely to have the support or care of. Sad but true.

Thank you for the info and input

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Part of the concern is how inept the adults are depicted as, especially the school councillor/therapist. It's true that adults are not perfect, but the message seems to be not to bother asking for help as none will be forthcoming.

Apparently the makers of the show denied the possibility of a sucide contagion, despite that occurring in the show itself...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Part of the concern is how inept the adults are depicted as, especially the school councillor/therapist. It's true that adults are not perfect, but the message seems to be not to bother asking for help as none will be forthcoming.

Apparently the makers of the show denied the possibility of a sucide contagion, despite that occurring in the show itself...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Sadly, I suspect they are aware of it and will create better ratings. Sad Sad world we live in

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I quit allowing my kids to watch Nickelodeon network because all the adults in the programs were incompetent nitwits.

OTOH, it seems (from anecdotal evidence but repeated over long spans of time) like the effective counselors &c are affiliated with religious organizations, not scientifically credentialed.
If you want to keep a bunch of teens in a state of psychological shock, call in a grief counselor. They will make sure the kids NEVER get over it.

Remove ads