13 REASONS WHY

I had barely ever heard of this book or show until recently. Suddenly it seems over night, schools are alarmed by the series. This week I received a mailer from my son's school talking about the show and warning about its content. It then listed constructive ways to watch it. Finally.... it listed State suicide numbers and people to contact.

Is this show THAT persuasive and emotional? If so- why air such a thing?

Curious on thoughts from other parents and anyone whom has seen the show or read the book.

Keep in mind- Grandma is watching so nothing too political or such.

Nagol

Unimportant
Is a Netflix series centred around a teen girl's suicide and a set of cassettes that she sent her friends explaining why. Typical teen angst reasons, I think.

Dioltach

Legend
I've never seen it, and I don't know much about it, but if it raises awareness of teen suicide then that can only be a good thing.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've not actually watched it myself but my wife is a counselor who works with people prone to suicidal thoughts and so the show has come up in discussion.

There is a mixed debate, the show depicts both rape and suicide and there is concern that for those actively contemplating suicide it could act as a tipping point by glamourising suicide as an 'answer'. That also ties in to fears about copy-cat suicides - which I suspect is where the school is coming in with its advice to parents.

On the other hand, the show apparently explores the whole realm of societal behaviours and peer interactions and how they affect an individual pushing them towards the decision to commit suicide. The shows audience (mainly teens/young adults) have become very involved in that aspect and it has become a focus of both self reflection and discussion, giving people a chance to have a conversation about suicide in particular but more generally about how a persons words and actions affect others.

I've got it on my viewing list once I find time (and after getting through my regular viewing backlog)

Last edited:

Is a Netflix series centred around a teen girl's suicide and a set of cassettes that she sent her friends explaining why. Typical teen angst reasons, I think.

I'm guessing you haven't watched it then....

Tonguez hit the nail on the head. As someone who did attempt suicide during high school and still suffers from depression, I personally don't feel that the show glorifies it but YMMV. The show does go a bit more than the book in showing the reactions of everyone, which to me shows that suicide impacts everyone not just the person who did it. It's also been renewed for a second season, and it's a pet project by Selena Gomez (if you knew of her). The hash tag that was promoted during the initial release and build up to it was/is #Everythingaffectseveyrthing.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, considering Richard Linklater's movie 'Boyhood' was rated 'R' in the US, it should have become obvious by now, that in the US underage persons apparently aren't supposed to be confronted with anything that might have to do with real life and the challenges _everyone_ has to deal with when growing up. God help them if they actually start thinking for themselves or something...

Janx

Hero
according to somebody else, the producers of it consulted with suicide experts (counselors, not people who kill themselves for a living), and then did everything they were told not to do.

I'm not a fan of putting Trigger Warnings on everything, but obviously, folks shouldn't be surprised that 13 reasons is a show about suicide and people who are suicidal shouldn't watch it. Duh.

So those people are supposed to leave the room. Seriously. Go step outside, so the rest of us can talk.

There was a stated concern that it glorifies suicide. That if you kill yourself, everybody will feel bad and regret how they treated you.

Again Duh. That's generally what happens after a suicide and people feel bad and begin to realize just how bad the person was hurting and consider how their actions might have contributed.

We (the folks who aren't depressed) are supposed to watch the show, see the signs, and the mistakes and the things WE do, and learn the lesson suicide teaches us, by using Hollywood Actors instead of our real friends.

Now whether the show is effective at that, beats me, I haven't watched it. My wife watched a few episodes, but I haven't heard her speak of the show really.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Snake venom is a real killer, when the snake bites you.
Snake venom is the man ingredient in Antidote, after being properly treated.

Depression and suicide are things that need to be discussed between adults and teens - who are notoriously moody, still self-centered, dealing with their bodies physically whacking out over an 8-year span, and given to exaggerating bad news into HORRIBLE news; temporary conditions into FOREVER.

My concern with 13 Reasons Why is that going off alone and binge-watching it is more likely to throw gasoline on any internal smoldering fires than throwing water on it.
I can easily see people who were already unhappy becoming depressed and suicidal, because they fed their thoughts a steady diet of gloom and despair.

Remove ads