Pathfinder 1E Returning to D&D 3.75 er I mean Pathfinder

Starfox

Hero
I'd never be playing Pathfinder if it wasn't for the online rules; books is just too much of a hassle. I still think Paizo wins, as I bye their adventures and some of the books. But I don't own a single bestiary; again too much hassle to look up the proper volume.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Using something like HeroLab can make character and encounter creation much easier in PF. But I still wouldn't want to DM a PF game. Would be happy to plan in one though.

Arilyn

Hero
Love both PF and 5E, but I found the advantage/disadvantage mechanic in 5E to be the easiest and best thing about the system.

Advantage/Disadvantage is very useful, but sometimes you still need those number bonuses or subtractions. Advantage does not let you get rolls beyond your normal capabilities.
I enjoy both systems as well. And to all those people complaining about PF having too many options, you can restrict yourself. If you enjoyed the early years of PF just use the core book and maybe the APG. I like lots of options because I can tweak my campaign. If I want to do weird west, for example, I can look through the books and find a lot of classes and options that are perfect while disallowing others. If I wanted to do something more gothic, I can focus more on the occult book. Unfortunately, this does not work as well for 5e. However, I enjoy 5e because it's fast and I can easily throw together an adventure with minimal prep. It's a fun game, and a lot easier to GM than Pathfinder, for sure!

Arilyn

Hero
As you continue to play Pathfinder, you may instead come to realize that it has the opposite problem from 5E, in that it is too fiddly and complex. It might seem like everything is fine right now, but see if you're still feeling that way when someone spends 10gp on a (single use) chew toy that gives their animal companion a +1 bonus on the next bite attack they make (whether or not that attack is successful).

Since he is returning to PF, I think he knows about the fiddly bits, and doesn't mind. If a player wants to buy an overpriced chew toy, go for it! Yes, there are a lot of silly excessive feats and stuff for PF that never get used, but it can easily be ignored. If someone really does want that chew toy, for example, it will be up to them to keep track. I think the over abundance of PF material comes from a system that's been around for a long time. Use what you want, ignore the rest.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I'd never be playing Pathfinder if it wasn't for the online rules; books is just too much of a hassle. I still think Paizo wins, as I bye their adventures and some of the books. But I don't own a single bestiary; again too much hassle to look up the proper volume.

Why make bestiaries if people aren't going to buy them. If I use it I will own it.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
I really tried to get back into Mathfinder, but with all of its crazy over the top bits, it was not fun DM'ing this system. Dont get me wrong, Mathfinder has a very rich environment to draw from, but it is also a very rules lawyer paradise type of system too. As much as 5E lacked some of those fiddly bits, it was much more fun for me to DM. One thing that I plan on doing for sure is converting Weapons of Legacy to 5E, that was my favorite 3.5 D&D book and it had some great ideas.

Well, there are some great ideas throughout both Mathfinder and D&D 3.5 that can be mined for additional ideas for 5E.

Since he is returning to PF, I think he knows about the fiddly bits, and doesn't mind. If a player wants to buy an overpriced chew toy, go for it! Yes, there are a lot of silly excessive feats and stuff for PF that never get used, but it can easily be ignored. If someone really does want that chew toy, for example, it will be up to them to keep track. I think the over abundance of PF material comes from a system that's been around for a long time. Use what you want, ignore the rest.

Mathfinder :lol:

It's definitely math intensive, but there's just so much to love about Pathfinder that the math is worth it.

Currently I'm unwilling to play 5E without bringing in lots of stuff to Pathfinder. And, earlier this week I started thinking, wouldn't it be easier to import what I like from 5E to PF, rather than the other way around? Afterall, there's a lot of math involved in almost every conversion from either system to the other, but there's a lot more Pathfinder than there is 5E. So, currently leaning toward PF as my base.

Arilyn

Hero
Mathfinder :lol:

It's definitely math intensive, but there's just so much to love about Pathfinder that the math is worth it.

Currently I'm unwilling to play 5E without bringing in lots of stuff to Pathfinder. And, earlier this week I started thinking, wouldn't it be easier to import what I like from 5E to PF, rather than the other way around? Afterall, there's a lot of math involved in almost every conversion from either system to the other, but there's a lot more Pathfinder than there is 5E. So, currently leaning toward PF as my base.[/QUOT

All F20 games are crunchy. Even 5e, if compared to light systems like Fate. If you are going to be crunchy lots of choice is the way to go.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Using something like HeroLab can make character and encounter creation much easier in PF. But I still wouldn't want to DM a PF game. Would be happy to plan in one though.

I love GMing Pathfinder - as long as I have published material. :) I could not imagine creating my own campaign in the system since creating my own NPCs & monsters would be insanely time consuming. I do enjoy playing it, too. (And HeroLab is a godsend...)

Remove ads